- Volume 16 Issue 3
This study was conducted in order to identify factors influencing maternal-fetal attachment among pregnant women, considering the factors presented in Mercer's theory: Becoming a Mother(pregnancy stress, self-esteem, dyadic adjustment, sense of mastery, antepartum stress). The data was collected through structured questionnaires from 140 pregnant women who visited the obstetric clinic and public health centers in a metropolitan area to have prenatal tests from August 23th to November 25th 2014. The data were analyzed by SPSS 20 software using descriptive statistics, the t-test, ANOVA, the Pearson's correlation coefficients and a stepwise multiple regression. The results were as follows: Maternal-fetal attachment in the group of pregnant women under 30 years of age was significantly higher than that in the group of over the age of 31(t=2.79,p=.004). Primiparas had higher maternal-fetal attachment than multiparas(F=3.27, p=.041). There was a negative correlation between pregnancy stress(r=-0.22, p=.009) and maternal-fetal attachment. Self-esteem (r=0.45, p<.001), dyadic adjustment(r=0.42, p<.001), sense of mastery(r=0.24, p=.005) and maternal-fetal attachment were, however, positively correlated. It was found that self-esteem, dyadic adjustment and age were some of the factors influencing maternal-fetal attachment among pregnant women. These variables explained 26.1% of the variance in maternal-fetal attachment. Findings of this study indicate needs for comprehension and assessment of self-esteem and dyadic adjustment in pregnant women through prenatal tests. Also, the intervention programs to improve maternal-fetal attachment among older mothers should be developed and implemented.
Becoming a Mother;Maternal-Fetal Attachment;Pregnant Women
- R. T. Mercer, "Becoming a Mother Versus Maternal Role Attainment", Journal of Nursing Scholarship, Vol.36, No.3, pp.226-232, September, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2004.04042.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2004.04042.x
- R. T. Mercer, and L. O. Walker, "A Review of Nursing Interventions Foster Becoming a Mother", Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, Vol.35, No.5, pp.568-582, September/October, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2006.00086.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2006.00080.x
- M. K. Kwon, and K. S. Bang, "Relationship of Prenatal Stress and Depression to Maternal-Fetal Attachment and Fetal Growth", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.41, No.2, pp.276-283, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.276 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.276
- M. S. Cranley, "Development of a tool for the measurement of maternal attachment during pregnancy", Nursing Research, Vol.30, No.5, pp.281-284, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198109000-00008 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198109000-00008
- L. C. Callister, "Relationship Among Maternal-Fetal Attachment, Prenatal Depression, and Health Practices in Pregnancy", American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, Vol.27, No.1, pp.59, January/February, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00005721-200201000-00020 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005721-200201000-00020
- T. Y. Moon, S. M. Park, and M. S. Han, "The Influence of Regular Participation in Pregnant Exercise on the Body-esteem and Pregnancy Stress", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.11, No.3, pp.1153-1162, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.3.1153 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.3.1153
- J. Y. Yoon, and M. H. Kang, "Development of Pregnant Women-Fetus Interaction Program and its Effects on enhancing Mother-Newborn baby Interaction", Korean Journal of Psychology General, Vol.30, No.2, pp.157-175, 2004.
- C. Y. Kang, and J. Y. Youn, "The Pregnant Woman-Fetus Interaction and Attachment Development", Journal of Child Studies, Vol.10, pp.131-147, 2004.
- R. T. Mercer, Becoming a Mother, New York: Springer, 1995.
- R. T. Mercer, "A Theoretical Framwork for Studing Factors that Impact on the Maternal Role", Nursing Research, Vol.30, No.2, pp.73-77, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198103000-00003
- H. L. Ahn, "An Experimental Study of the Effects of Husband's Supportive Behavior Reinforcement Education on Stress Relife of Primigravidas", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.15, No.1, pp.5-16, 1985.
- R. T. Mercer, S. Ferketich, K. S. May, J. DeJoseph, and D. Solid, "Futher Exploration of Maternal and Paternal Fetal Attachment", Research in Nursing & Health, Vol.11, No.2, pp.83-95, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770110204 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770110204
- Y. S. Lee, and R. H. Hwang, "A Study of The Relationship Between Stress and Maternal Fetal Attachment in the Pregnant Women", Chonnam Journal of Nusing Sciences, Vol.4, No.1, August, pp.53-69, 1999.
- S. Y. Kang, and M. R. Chung, "The Relationship between Pregnant Women's Stress, Temperament and Maternal-Fetal Attachment", Korean Journal of Human Ecology, Vol.21, No.1, pp.213-223, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.2.213 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.2.213
- H. Wee, and S. Y. Park, "The Relationships between Anxiety, Depression, Prenatal Stress, Maternal-Fetal Attachment and Gratitude", Journal of Korean Society Maternal and Child Health, Vol.16, No.2, pp274-286, 2012. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2012.16.2.274
- M. Rogenberg, Society and the adolescent self image, Middletown, CT, England: Wesleyan University Press, 1989.
- S. S. Chung, and K. H. Joung, "Comparative Study on Predictors of Maternal Confidence between Primipara and Multipara", Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, Vol.17, No.3, pp.181-189, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.3.181 https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.3.181
- H. J. Locke, and K. M. Wallace, "Short Marital-Adjustment and Prediction Tests: Their Reliability and Validity", Marriage and Family Living, Vol.21, No.3, pp.251-255. August, 1959. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/348022 https://doi.org/10.2307/348022
- M. H. Sung, and K. S. Joo, "Relationships among Marital Satisfaction, Spousal Support and Practice of Taekyo in Pregnant Women", Korean Journal of Womens Health Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.31-38, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.1.31 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.1.31
- L. I. Pearlin, M. A. Lieberman, E. G. Menaghan, and J. T. Mullan, "The Stress Process", Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Vol.22, No.4, pp.337-356, December, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2136676 https://doi.org/10.2307/2136676
- American Pregnancy Association (APA) : Depression in Pregnancy, retrieved September 20, 2014. from http://www.pregnancy.org.
- E. J. Lee, and J. S. Park, "Status of Antepartum Depression and Its Influencing Factors in Pregnant Women", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.8, pp.3897-3906, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3897 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3897
- B. Figueiredo, and R. Costa, "Mother's Stress, Mood and Emotional Involvement with the Infant: 3 months before and 3 months after childbirth", Archives of Womens Mental Health, Vol.12, No.3, pp.143-153, June, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00737-009-0059-4 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00737-009-0059-4
- J. A. Jo, and Y. H. Kim, "Mother's Prenatal Environment, Stress during Pregnancy and Children's Problem Behaviors", Journal of Human Ecology, Vol.11, No.2, pp.43-62, 2007.
- B. J. Jeon, "Self-esteem: A Test of its Measure-ability", Yonsei Non Chong, Vol.11. No.1, pp.107-130, 1974.
- G. B. Spanier, "Measuring Dyadic Adjustment Scale: New Scales for Assessing the Quality of Marriage and Similar Dyads", Journal of Marriage and the Family, Vol.38, No.1. pp.15-28, February, 1976. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/350547 https://doi.org/10.2307/350547
- D. M. Busby, C. Christensen, D. R. Crane, and J. H. Larson, "A Revision of the Dyadic Adjustment Scale for use with Distressed and Nondistressed Couple: Construct Hierarchy and Multidimensional Scales", Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, Vol.21. No.3, pp.289-308, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-0606.1995.tb00163.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-0606.1995.tb00163.x
- S. I. Choi, "Revision Dyadic Adjustment Scale: Reliability and Validity", Gho Hwang Non Jip Kyung Hee Graduate School, Vol.35, 2004.
- Korean Gerontology Forum, Older Scale, House of Sharing, 2010.
- J. Cox, J. Holden, and R. Sagovsky, "Detection of Postnatal Depression: Development of the 10-item Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale", The British Journal of Psychiatry, Vol.150. No.6, pp.782-786, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1192/bjp.150.6.782 https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.150.6.782
- K. W. Han, M. J. Kim, and J. M. Park, "The Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale, Korean Version: Reliability and Validity", Journal of Korean Society of Biological Therapies in Psychiatry, Vol.10, No.2, pp.201-207, 2004.
- O. Chatillon and C. Even, "Antepartum Depression: Prevalence, Diagnosis and Treatment", L'Encephale, Vol.36, No.6, pp.443-451. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.encep.2010.02.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.encep.2010.02.004
- J. H. Park, "The Effect of Visual and Verbal Information by Antenatal Ultrasound on Maternal-Fetal Attachment and Self-Care", MS Thesis Yonsei University, 2001.
- J. Y. Lee, J. Y, Cho, S. B. Chang, J. H, Park, and Y. H. Lee, "Effect of Visual Information by Ultrasound on Maternal-Fetal Attachment", Korean Journal of Womens Health Nursing, Vol.8, No.3, pp.335-344, 2002.
- B. H. Choi, "Association of Maternal Fetal Attachment with Newborn's Visual and Auditory Senses", MS Thesis Yonsei University, 2003.
- A. Yarcheski, N. E. Mahon, T. J. Yarcheski, N. M. Hanks, and B. L. Cannella, "A Meta-Analytic Study of Predictors of Maternal-Fetal Attachment", International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol.46, No.5, pp.708-715, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2008.10.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2008.10.013
- M. H. Hur, "Analysis of Perceived Spouse Support and Self Concept and Other Variables Related to Maternal Fetal attachment", Journal of Kimsan junior college, pp.279-329, 1995.
- M. R. Chung, S. K. Kang, and H. J. Lee, "The Relationship Between Marital Quality and Parent-Fetal Attachment by Pregnant Couples", Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol.50, No.4, pp.51-61, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.6115/khea.2012.50.4.051 https://doi.org/10.6115/khea.2012.50.4.051
- S. H. Ahn, "An Exploration of the Maternal & Paternal-Fetal Attachment", Korean Journal of Womens Health Nursing, Vol.3, No.1, pp49-63, 1993.
- E. H. Lee, "A Study on the Pregnancy Experience of the Primiparous Couple: The Transition to Parenthood", Doctorial Dissertation Seoul National University, 1995.
Supported by : 경북대학교