- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Social Capital on Goendang culture (a traditional community culture on Jeju) and Local Development
사회적 자본이 제주지역 공동체 문화인 괸당문화와 지역발전에 미치는 영향
- Hwang, Kyung-Soo (Department of Public Administration, Jeju National University)
- 황경수 (제주대학교 행정학과)
- Received : 2014.11.20
- Accepted : 2015.03.12
- Published : 2015.03.31
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of social capital on Goendang(relatives) culture, which is a traditional local community culture, and local development as a positive factor. In order to evaluate the effect of social capital, a survey targeting 600 Jeju residents was conducted and 594 returned questionnaires were interpreted for the final analysis. Descriptive analysis, T-test, ANOVA analysis, and multiple regression analysis were conducted on the collected data, using SPSS 18.0. As a result, firstly, the levels of social capital of the surveyed appear as follows: network (average score 4.01), trust (average score 3.80), norms (average score 3.43), cooperation (average score 3.00), and participation (average score 2.80). Secondly, there are differences in social capital among the surveyed groups based on urban-rural areas, administrative districts, and average monthly income. Finally, among the dimensions of social capital, as the relative importance of network and participation increases, the surveyed think that they need Goendang culture more. Also, i t turns out that as the relative importance of norms and participation increases, Goendang culture can exert influence on local development as an important influence factor. Therefore, based on the analysis, this study shows that nurturing social capital can allow people to utilize Goendang culture for local development as a positive community culture.
- H. W. Lee., J. H. Lee., & Y. B. Hahn., Different Influence of Social Capital on Regionalism: Bonding and Bridging social Capitalism, Korean Political Science Review, 45(2), pp.149-171, 2009.
- J. K. So., The Logic of Connecting Local Autonomy System with Regional Development through Accumulating Social Capital, The Korea Local Administration Review, 18(2), pp.67-90, 2004.
- R. D. Putnam., Bowling Alone, New York; Touchstone Book, 2000.
- J. M. Suk., Jeju Dialect Dictionary, Jeju: Seogwipo Cultural Center, pp.59, 1947.
K. M. Lee., Y. C. Ko., & K. H. Kim., A Study on the Characteristics of People Who Appear on the
Sections in Jeju's Daily Newspapers, Journal of Communication Science, 7(3), pp. 187-226, 2007.
- S. J. Han., & M. K. Yeum., Goendang Culture and Local Elections, Korean Regional Sociology, 8(1), pp. 211-236, 2006.
- C. Y. Yang., Characteristics of the National Assembly Elections in Cheju Province, Dept. of Political Science and International Relations, Graduate School of Soongsil University, Doctoral Dissertation, 2000.
- Jeju-Do., Jeju-Do Proverb dictionary, Jeju: JejuDo, pp.43, 1999.
- H. S. Kim., Jeju-do Family and Goendang Culture, Jeju: Jeju National University Press, 1999.
- C. M. Kim., Kinship as a Category: Goendang Culture of Jeju, Korean Cultural Anthropology, 24, pp. 95-115, 1992
- J. S. Coleman,, Foundation of Social Theory, Harvard University Press, 1990.
- W. H. Koh., Jeju see the 'Roman ruin' in gang politics, http://www.jejusori.net, 2013. 12. 7.
- H. R. Won., 37's Jeju Governor Inaugural Address, http://www.jejusori.net, 2014.7.1.
- Factors affecting Organizational Commitment of General Hospital Nurses in Small and Medium Sized Cities vol.25, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2019.25.1.14