- Volume 15 Issue 2
This paper investigates the effect of absorption loss by a human body to the received signal strength with respect to on-body transmitting antenna positions in on-to-off wireless body area networks. This investigation is based on measurement results obtained from experiments performed on human bodies (male and female) using planar inverted-F antennas in an anechoic chamber. The total absorption loss by the human body is also presented through the SEMCAD-X simulations. Our investigation showed that the received signal strength becomes lower when the transmitting antenna is mounted at a specific position where more absorption loss is experienced. The statistical analyses of on-to-off body channel characteristics based on the measurement results are presented.
Absorption Loss;Channel Characterization;Off-Body System;Received Signal Strength
- D. Smith, L. Hanlen, J. Zhang, D. Miniutti, D. Rodda, and B. Gilbert, "Characterization of the dynamic narrowband on-body to off-body area channel," in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC'09), Dresden, Germany, 2009, pp. 1-6.
- D. B. Smith, D. Miniutti, and L. W. Hanlen, "Characterization of the body-area propagation channel for monitoring a subject sleeping," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 4388-4392, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2011.2164209
- S. L. Cotton, A. McKernan, A. J. Ali, and W. G. Scanlon, "An experimental study on the impact of human body shadowing in off-body communications channels at 2.45 GHz," in Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), Rome, Italy, 2011, pp. 3133-3137.
- S. L. Cotton, "A statistical model for shadowed bodycentric communications channels: theory and validation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 1416-1424, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2013.2295211
- R. Rosini and R. D'Errico, "Off-body channel modelling at 2.45 GHz for two different antennas," in Proceedings of the 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), Prague, Czech Republic, 2012, pp. 3378-3382.
- R. Rosini and R. D'Errico, "Space-time correlation for on-to-off body channels at 2.45 GHz," in Proceedings of the 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Gothenburg, Germany, 2013, pp. 3529-3533.
- M. O. Munoz, R. Foster, and Y. Hao, "On-body channel measurement using wireless sensors," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 3397-3406, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2012.2196933
- A. Michalopoulou, A. A. Alexandridis, K. Peppas, T. Zervos, F. Lazarakis, K. Dangakis, and D. I. Kaklamani, "Statistical analysis for on-body spatial diversity communications at 2.45 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 4014-4019, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2012.2201073
- D. Kurup, W. Joseph, G. Vermeeren, and L. Martens, "Specific absorption rate and path loss in specific body location in heterogeneous human model," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 35-43, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map.2011.0559
- X. Liu, H. J. Chen, Y. Alfadhl, X. Chen, C. Parini, and D. Wen, "Conductivity and frequency dependent specific absorption rate," Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 113, no. 7, article id. 074902, 2013.
- N. Ticaud, S. Kohler, P. Jarrige, L. Duvillaret, G. Gaborit, R. P. O'Connor, D. Arnaud-Cormos, and P. Leveque, "Specific absorption rate assessment using simultaneous electric field and temperature measurements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 11, pp. 252-255, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2012.2189748
- P. Gajsek, W. D. Hurt, J. M. Ziriax, and P. A. Mason, "Parametric dependence of SAR on permittivity values in a man model," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1169-1177, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/10.951520
- W. D. Hurt, J. M. Ziriax, and P. A. Mason, "Variability in EMF permittivity values: implications for SAR calculations," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 396-401, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/10.827308
- A. Michalopoulou, A. A. Alexandridis, K. Peppas, T. Zervos, F. Lazarakis, K. Dangakis, and D. Kaklamani, "On-body channel statistical analysis based on measurements in an indoor environment at 2.45 GHz," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 636-645, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map.2010.0513
- A wearable type embroidered logo antenna at ISM band for military applications vol.59, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.30697
- An All-Textile SIW Cavity-Backed Circular Ring-Slot Antenna for WBAN Applications vol.15, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2016.2549578
- Analysis of radio frequency power transmission between in/on-body beam-reconfigurable antennas in the medradio band vol.58, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.29750
- Thermal Frequency Reconfigurable Electromagnetic Absorber Using Phase Change Material vol.18, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/s18103506
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)