- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Influence of Product Attributes of Smart Device on User Acceptance: Mediating Effect of Utilitarian and Hedonic Motivation
스마트 디바이스 제품속성이 제품수용에 미치는 영향: 기능적 동기와 쾌락적 동기의 매개효과
- Received : 2014.10.17
- Accepted : 2014.12.19
- Published : 2015.04.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate the relationship between product attributes of smart device and user acceptance of technology. Moreover, the authors examined mediating effect of utilitarian and hedonic motivation between product attributes and user acceptance. Previous researches focused on user attitude and behavior intention of new technology based on Technology Acceptance Model(TAM). However, differently from previous researches, which are focused on user attitude like perceived usefulness and perceived ease of use, this research emphasized the relationship product attributes such as product functionality, design, and convenience and user motivation both utilitarian(effort expectancy and performance expectancy) and hedonic motivation(perceived enjoyment) according to UTAUT model. The results shows that 3 motivation variables(effort expectancy, performance expectancy, and perceived enjoyment) have positive impacts on user acceptance intention of smart device. product design has positive relationship to perceived enjoyment and product convenience has positive relationship to both effort and performance expectancy. Furthermore, 3 motivation variables play a full mediation between product attributes and user acceptance intention of new technology. However, product functionality has no relationship to both effort and performance expectancy. Research contribution, implications, and further research directions are discussed at the end of the paper.
UTAUT;Effort/Performance Expectancy;Perceived Enjoyment;Product Attributes
- 박성빈, 김재현, "인터넷과 스마트 디바이스," 인터넷정보학회지, 제13권, 제2호, pp.31-38, 2012.
- 이용일, "스마트폰 유통에 따른 대학생의 기술 수용의도 및 만족에 관한 연구", 유통경영학회지, 제13권, 제5호, pp.93-110, 2010.
- 오종철, "인터넷 서비스 수용의 영향요인: UTAUT 모형에 대한 재평가", 경영학연구, 제39권, 제1호, pp.55-79, 2010.
- Fred D. Davis, "Perceived Usefulness, Perceived Ease of Use, and User Acceptance of Information Technology," MIS Quarterly, Vol.13, No.3, pp.319-340, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/249008
- Fred D. Davis, Richard P. Bagozzi, and Paul R. Warshaw, "User Acceptance of Computer Technology: A Comparison of Two Theoretical Models," Management Science, Vol.35, No.8, pp.982-1003, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.8.982
- Pratibha A. Dabholkar and Richard P. Bagozzi, "An Attitudinal Model of Technology-based Self-service: Moderating Effects of Consumer Traits and Situational Factors," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.30, No.3, pp.184-201, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070302303001
- Gordon C. Bruner II and Anand Kumar, "Explaining Consumer Acceptance of Handheld Internet Devices," Journal of Business Research, Vol.58, No.5, pp.553-558, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2003.08.002
- Verkasalo, Hannu, Carolina Lopez-Nicolas, Francisco J. Molina-Castillo, and Harry Bouwman, "Analysis of Users and Non-users of Smartphone Applications," Telematics and Informatics, Vol.27, No.3, pp.242-255, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2009.11.001
- Venkatesh, Viswanath, Michael G. Morris, Gordon B. Davis, and Fred D. Davis, "User Acceptance of Information Technology: Toward a Unified View," MIS Quarterly, Vol.27, No.3, pp.425-478, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036540
- T. Escobar-Rodriguez and E. Carvajal-Trujillo, "Online Purchasing Tickets for Low Cost Carriers: An Application of the Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology(UTAUT) Model," Tourism Management, Vol.43, pp.70-88, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2014.01.017
- Zhou Tao, Yaobin Lu, and Bin Wang, "Integrating TTF and UTAUT to Explain Mobile Banking User Adoption," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.26, No.4, pp.760-767, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2010.01.013
- Lu June, James E. Yao, and C. S. Yu, "Personal Innovativeness, Social Influences and Adoption of Wireless Internet Services via Mobile Technology," Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Vol.14, No.3, pp.245-268, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsis.2005.07.003
- J. K. Park, S. Yang, and Xinran Lehto, "Adoption of Mobile Technologies for Chinese Consumers," Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Vol.8, No.3, pp.196-206, 2007.
- H. Y. Wang and S. H. Wang, "User Acceptance of Mobile Internet based on the Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology: Investigating the Determinants and Gender Differences," Social Behavior and Personality: an International Journal, Vol.38, No.3, pp.415-426, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2010.38.3.415
- Zhou Tao, "Understanding Mobile Internet Continuance Usage from the Perspectives of UTAUT and Flow," Information Development, Vol.27, No.3, pp.207-218, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266666911414596
- Xu Heng, and Sumeet Gupta, "The Rffects of Privacy Voncerns and Personal Innovativeness on Potential and Experienced Customers' Adoption of Location-based Services," Electronic Markets, Vol.19, No.2-3, pp.137-149, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12525-009-0012-4
- AbuShanab, Emad, and J. M. Pearson, "Internet Banking in Jordan: The Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology(UTAUT) Perspective," Journal of Systems and Information Technology, Vol.9, No.1, pp.78-97, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/13287260710817700
- I. Im, S. T. Hong, and M. S. Kang, "An International Comparison of Technology Adoption: Testing the UTAUT Model," Information & Management, Vol.48, No.1, pp.1-8, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2010.09.001
- M. M. M. A. Riffai, Kevin Grant, and David Edgar, "Big TAM in Oman: Exploring the Promise of On-line Banking, Its Adoption by Customers and the Challenges of Banking in Oman," International Journal of Information Management, Vol.32, No.3, pp.239-250, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2011.11.007
- C. M. Chiu and Eric T. G. Wang, "Understanding Web-based Learning Continuance Intention: the Role of Subjective Task Value," Information & Management, Vol.45, No.3, pp.194-201, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2008.02.003
- Y. H. Hung, Y. S. Wang, and T. Seng-Cho, "User Acceptance of e-government Services," PACIS 2007 Proceedings, Vol.97, 2007.
- Schaupp, Ludwig Christian, Lemuria Carter, and Megan E. McBride, "E-file Adoption: A Study of US Taxpayers' Intentions," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.26, No.4, pp.636-644, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.12.017
- Elizabeth C. Hirschman, and Morris B. Holbrook, "Hedonic Consumption: Emerging Concepts, Methods and Propositions," Journal of Marketing, Vol.46, No.3, pp.92-101, 1982.
- E. Fischer and Stephen J. Arnold, "More Than a Labor of Love: Gender Roles and Christmas Gift Shopping," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.17, No.4, pp.333-345, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1086/208561
- John F. Sherry Jr, Mary Ann McGrath, and Sidney J. Levy, "The Dark Side of the Gift," Journal of Business Research, Vol.28, No.3, pp.225-244, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(93)90049-U
- Peter H. Bloch and Grady D. Bruce, "Product Involvement as Leisure Behavior," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.11, No.1, pp.197-202, 1984.
- Barry J. Babin, William R. Darden, and Mitch Griffin, "Work and/or Fun: Measuring Hedonic and Utilitarian Shopping Value," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.20, No.4, pp.644-656, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1086/209376
- Robert A. Westbrook, and William C. Black, "A Motivation-based Shopper Typology," Journal of Retailing, Vol.61, No.1, pp.78-103, 1985.
- John F. Sherry Jr, "A Sociocultural Analysis of a Midwestern American Flea Market," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.17, No.2, pp.13-30, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1086/208533
- Hans Van der Heijden, "User Acceptance of Hedonic Information Systems," MIS Quarterly, Vol.28 No.4, pp.695-704, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148660
- James Y. L. Thong, S. J. Hong, and Kar Yan Tam, "The Effects of Post-adoption Beliefs on the Expectation-confirmation Model for Information Technology Continuance," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Vol.64, No.9, pp.799-810, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2006.05.001
- Igbaria, Magid, Stephen J. Schiffman, and Thomas J. Wieckowski, "The Respective Roles of Perceived Usefulness and Perceived Fun in the Acceptance of Microcomputer Technology," Behaviour & Information Technology, Vol.13, No.6, pp.349-361, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/01449299408914616
- X. Y. Xu, "Understanding Users' Continued Use of Online Games: An Application of UTAUT2 in Social Network Games," MMEDIA 2014: The Sixth International Conferences on Advances in Multimedia, pp.58-65, 2014.
- 박일순, 안현철, "UTAUT 기반 모바일 신용카드서비스의 사용자 수용모형에 관한 연구", e-비즈니스연구, 제13권, 제3호, pp.551-574, 2012.
- 전새하, 박나래, 이중정, "공공부문 클라우드 컴퓨팅 서비스 사용의도에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구", Entrue Journal of Information Technology, Vol.10, No.2, pp.97-112, 2011.
- Fred D. Davis, Richard P. Bagozzi, and Paul R. Warshaw, "Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation to Use Computers in the Workplace," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.22, No.14, pp.1111-1132, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1992.tb00945.x
- Susan A. Brown and Viswanath Venkatesh, "Model of Adoption of Technology in Households: A Baseline Model Test and Extension Incorporating Household Life Cycle," MIS Quarterly, Vol.29, No.4, pp.399-426, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148690
- Terry L. Childers, Christopher L. Carr, Joann Peck, and Stephen Carson, "Hedonic and utilitarian motivations for online retail shopping behavior," Journal of Retailing, Vol.77, No.4, pp.511-535, 2002.
- Kotler Philip, 안광호, Gary Armstrong, 마케팅입문, 제1판, 경문사, 2013.
- P. Kotler, Marketing Management: Analysis Planning Implementation and Control, 9th eds, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1997.
- Fishbein, Martin, and Icek Ajzen, Belief, Attitude, Intention and Behavior: An Introduction to Theory and Research, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1975.
- Chitturi, Ravindra, Rajagopal Raghunathan, and Vijay Mahajan, "Delight by Design: The Role of Hedonic Versus Utilitarian Benefits," Journal of Marketing, Vol.72, No.3, pp.48-63, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.72.3.48
- Kenneth C. Gehrt, Laura J. Yale, and Diana A. Lawson, "The Convenience of Catalog Shopping: Is There More to It Than Time?," Journal of Direct Marketing, Vol.10, No.4, pp.19-28, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1522-7138(199623)10:4<19::AID-DIR2>3.0.CO;2-#
- 최원석, 스마트폰 기능적 속성의 중요도에 관한 연구, 한국정보기술경영학회 학술대회, pp.298-297, 2010.
- 김종기, 남수태, "스마트폰의 특성이 지속구매의 도에 미치는 영향: 유희성의 조절효과를 고려하여," 대한경영학회지, 제25권, 제4호, pp.2021-2045, 2012.
- 이영준, 김근아, 김상현, "스마트폰의 기능적 특성이 스마트폰 사용의도에 미치는 영향: 성별에 따른 차이분석", 인터넷전자상거래연구, Vol.12, No.4, pp.139-160, 2011.
- 김영채, "모바일 특성과 IT특성, 그리고 관여가 스마트폰 애플리케이션 만족에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," e-비즈니스연구, Vol.12, No.2, pp.49-77, 2011.
- William B. Dodds, Kent B. Monroe, and Dhruv Grewal, "Effects of Price, Brand, and Store Information on Buyers' Product Evaluations," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.28, No.3, pp.307-319, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172866
- Venkatesh, Viswanath, James Y. L. Thong, and Xin Xu, "Consumer Acceptance and Use of Information Technology: Extending the Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology," MIS Quarterly, Vol.36, No.1, pp.157-178, 2012.
- G. A. Jr. Churchill, "A Paradigm for Developing Better Measures of Marketing Constructs," Journal of Marketing, Vol.16, No.1, pp.64-73, 1979. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150876
- Rex B. Klein, Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modelling, New York: Guilford Press. 1998.
- Fornell, Claes, and David F. Larcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.1, pp.39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- 이학식, 임지훈, 구조방정식 모형분석과 AMOS 6.0, 제1판, 법문사 2007.
- Richard P. Bagozzi and Y. J. Yi, "On the Evaluation of Structural Equation Models," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.16, No1, pp.74-94, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02723327
Supported by : 서울여자대학교