- Volume 31 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Ultrastructural Studies of Germ Cell Developments and Atypical Cells Occurred During Spermatogenesis in the Acini, and the Cyclic Changes in the Epithelial Cells With the Developmental Phases of the Seminal Vesicle in Rapana venosa (Valencienes)
피뿔고둥 Rapana venosa (Valencienes) 정소소엽 내에서의 생식세포 발달과 정자형성과정 중 출현하는 비정형 세포들의 미세구조적 연구 및 저정낭의 발달단계에 따른 상피세포들의 주기적 변화
- Lee, Il Ho (Department of Fisheries Sciences, Graduate School, Kunsan National University) ;
- Chung, Jae Seung (Department of Urology, College of Medicine, Inje University)
- Received : 2015.03.20
- Accepted : 2015.03.30
- Published : 2015.03.31
Germ cell development and cyclic changes in the epithelial cells of the seminal vesicle of the male rapa whelk, Rapana venosa, were investigated by cytological and histological observations. The process of germ cell development can be classified into five stages: (1) spermatogonial, (2) primary spermatocyte, (3) secodary spermatocyte, (4) spermatid, and (5) spermatozoon. In particular, four atypical cells (Type IA, IB, IIA and IIB cells) occur among normal germ cells in the acini during spermatogenesis. Presumably, the atypical cells, which have lysosome-like vacuoles or lysosome-like bodies in the cells, are involved in breakdown and absorption themselves in the acini. However, atypical cells were not found in the epithelial cells of the inner layer of the seminal vesicle. A considerable amount of spermatozoa are transported from the testis towards the the seminal vesicles until late July. The main coupulation period is between June and July. The process of the cyclical changes of the seminal vesicles can be classified into three phases: (1) resting, (2) accumulating, and (3) spent. Yellow granular bodies are involved in resorption or digestion of residual spermatozoa.
Supported by : 한국해양환경생태연구소
- Amio, M. (1963) A compatative embrology of marine gastropods, with ecological emphasis. Journal of Shimonoseki College Fisheries, 12: 229-253.
- Baccetti, B, and Afzelius, B.A., 1976. Biology of sperm cell. S. Krager, New York p. 1-254. (Monogr Devel Biol No. 10)
- Choi, J.D and Ryu, D.K. 2009) Age and Growth of purple whelk, Rapana venosa Baccetti Malacology, 25: 189-196.
- Chung, E.Y, Kim, S.Y, Kim, Y.G. (1993) Rapana venosa (Gastropoda: Muricidae), with species reference to the reproductive cycle, depositions of egg capsules and hatching of larvae. The Korean Journal of Malacology, 9: 1-15.
- Chung, E.Y., Kim, S.Y., Park, K.H. Park, G.M. (2002) Sexual maturation, spawning and deposition of the egg capsules of the female purple shell, Rapana venosa (Gastropoda: Muricidae). Malacologia, 44: 241-257.
- D'Asaro, C.N. (1966) The egg capsules, embryogenesis and early organogenesis of a common oyster predator, Thais haemostoma floridana (Gastripoda: Prosobranchia). Bulletin of Marine Science, 16: 884-914.
- D'Asaro, C.N. (1970) Egg capsules of prosobranch mollusks from south Florida and the Bahamas and notes on spawning in the laboratory. Bulletin of Marine Science, 20: 414-440.
- D'Asaro, C.N. (1988) Micromorphology of neogastropod egg capsules. Nautilus, 102: 134-148.
- D'Asaro, C.N. (1991) Gunnar thorsons world-wide collection of prosobranch egg capsules: Muricidae. Ophelia, 35: 1-101.
- D'Asaro, C.N. (1993a) Gunnar thorsons world-wide collection of prosobranch egg capsules: Melongenidae. Ophelia, 46: 83-125.
- D'Asaro, C.N. (1993b) Gunnar thorsons world-wide collection of prosobranch egg capsules: Nassariidae. Ophelia, 48: 149-215.
- Franzen, A. (1970) Phylogenetic aspects of the morphology spermatozoa and spermiogenesis. In; Bacetti , B. (ed). "Comparative spermatology. "Academia Nationale Dei Lincei, Rome, pp. 573.
- Franzen, A. (1983) Ultrastructural studies of spermatozoa in three bivalve species with notes on evolution of elongated sperm nucleus in primitive spermatozoa. Gamete Research, 7: 199-214. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1120070302
- Fretter, V. (1941) The genital ducts of some british stenoglossen prosobranchs. Journal of Marine Biology Association of the U.K., 25: 173-211.: 1 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315400014375
- Fretter, V. and Graham, A. (1964) Reproduction. Pp. 127-156. In Wilbur, K.M. and Yonge, C.M. (eds.) Physiology of Mollusca. Academic Press, New York, 473 pp.
- Fujinaga, K. 1985. The productive ecology of the neptune whelk (Neptunea arthritica Bernadi) population, with special reference to the reproductive cycles, depositions of egg masses hatchings of juveniles. Bull. Fac. Fish, Hokkaido University, 36(3): 87-98.
- Habe, T. (1960) Egg masses and egg capsules of some japanese marine prosobran- chiate gastropod. Bulletin of National Biological Station Asamusi, 10: 121-126.
- Habe, T. (1969) A nomenclatorial note on Rapana venosa. Venus, 28: 109-111.
- Harding, J.M, Mann,, R. (1999) Observations on the biology of the veined rapa whelk, Rapana venosa in the chespeake bay. Journal of Shellfish Research, 18: 9-17.
- Harding, J.M., Mann, R. and Kilduff, C.W. (2007) The effects of female size on fecundity in a large marine gastropod Rapana venosa (Muricidae). Journal of Shellfish Research, 26: 33-42. https://doi.org/10.2983/0730-8000(2007)26[33:TEOFSO]2.0.CO;2
- Hodgson, A.N. and Bernard, RTF. (1986) Ultrastructure of the sperm and spermatogenesis of three species of Mytilidae (Mollusca, bivalvia). Gamete Research, 15: 123-135. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1120150204
- Kim, J.H. (2001) Spermatogenesis and comparative ultrastructure of spermatozoa in several species of Korean economic bivalves (13 families, 34 species), Pukyung National University, 161pp.
- Kinnee. (1963) The effects of temperature and salinity on marine brackish water animals. 1. Temperature. Oceanography Marine Biology Annual Review, 1: 301-340.
- Knudsen, J. (1950) Egg capsules and development of some marine prosobranchs from tropical west africa. Atlantide Report, 1: 85-130.
- Kwon, O.K, Park, G.M, and Lee, J.S. (1993) Coloured Shells of Korea. Academy Publication Co. Seoul, 285 pp.
- Le Boeuf, R. (1971) Thais emarginata: Description of the veliger and egg capsule. Veliger, 14: 205-211.
- Lee,I.H., Chung, E.Y., Son, P.W. and Lee, K.Y. (2014) Depositions of egg capsules byfemale shell heights andcomparisons of sizes at 50% of group sexual maturities of the female Rapa whelk Rapana venosa in three different salinity concentration regions. The Korean Journal of Malacology, 30: 139-153. https://doi.org/10.9710/kjm.2014.30.2.139
- Lee, J.J, and Kim, S.H. (1988) Morphological study on the osphradium of Rapana venosa. The Korean Journal of Malacology, 4: 1-16.
- Middelfart, P. (1994) Reproductive patterns in Muricidae. Phuket Marine Biological Center Special Publication, 13: 83-88.
- Middelfart, P. (1996) Egg capsules and early development of ten muficid gastropods from Thailand Water. Phuket Marine Biological Center Special Publication, 16: 103-130.
- Mann, R. and Harding, J.M. (2000) Invasion of a Mid Atlantic estury by the oriental gastropod Rapana venosa Valenciennes, 1846. Biological Invasion, 2: 7-22. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010038325620
- Min, D.K. Lee, J.S. Ko, D.B. and Je, J.G. (2004) Mollusks in Korea. Hanguel Graphics. 566pp.
- Nishiwaki, S. (1964) Phylogenetical study on type of the dimorphic spermatozoa in Prosobranchia. Science of Reproduction, Tokyo Kyoiku Daigaku, 11: 237-275.
- Popham, J.D. (1979) Comparative spermatozoon morphology and bivalve phylogeny. Malacological Review, 12: 1-20.
- Rawling, T.A. (1990) Associations between egg capsule morphology and predation among populations of the marine gastropod. nucella emarginata. Biological Bulletin, 179: 312-325. https://doi.org/10.2307/1542323
- Rawling, T.A. (1994) Encapsulation of eggs by marine gastropods: Effect of variation in capsules from on the vulnerability of embryos to predation. Evolution, 84: 1301-1313.
- Rawling, T.A. (1995) Adaptations to physical stresses in the intertidal zone: The egg capsules of neogastropod mollusca. American Zoology, 39: 230-243.
- Spight, T.M. (1976) Ecology of hatching size for marine snails. Oecologia, 24: 283-294. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00381135
- Staiger, H. (1950) Zur determination der Nhreier bei prosobranchiern. Revision Suis Zoology, 57: 96-530.
- Staiger, H. (1951) Cytologische und morphologiche untersuchungen zur determination der Neherier bei prosobranchiern. Zeitschrift fϋr Zellforsch Mikosk anat, 35: 469-549.
- Takahashi, N. Takano, K. and Murai, S. (1972) Histological studies on the reproductive cycle of the male netune whelk, Neptunea arthritica. Bulletin of the Faculty of Fisheries, Hokkaido University, 36: 87-98 (in Japanese).
- Thorson, G. (1940) Studies on the egg masses and larval development of gastropods from the lranian gulf. Danish Scientific Inverstigations in Iran, 2: 159-238.
- Wu, Y. (1988) Distribution and shell height-weight relation of Rawling Rapana venosa Valenciennes in the Laizhou Bay. Marine Science/Haiyanh kexue, 6: 39-40.
- Yoo, I.S, Soh, C.T, Lee, I.S, Kim, J.J. (1991) Heavy metals in water, sediments and mollusca along coast line close to the estuaries of Gum-gang (river) and Mangyeong-gang. The Korean Journal of Malacology, 7: 87-93.
- Yoon, H.D. (1986) Lipid composition of purple shell and abalone. Bulletin of Korean Fisheries Society, 19: 446-452.
- Zolotarev, V. (1996) The Black Sea ecosystem change related to the introduction of new molluska species. Marine Ecolology, 17: 227-236 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0485.1996.tb00504.x