- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Design of a Wheel Test Bed for a Planetary Exploration Rover and Driving Experiment
행성탐사 로버 휠 테스트 베드 설계 및 주행 실험
- Received : 2014.11.24
- Accepted : 2015.01.30
- Published : 2015.04.01
In this paper, the consideration factors that affect the actual driving of a rover wheel was examined based on the wheel-terrain model. For the evaluation of driving performance in a real environment, the test bed of the rover wheel consists of the driving part of the wheel and sensing part of the various parameters was designed and assembled. Using the test bed, the preliminary driving experiment concerning the slip ratio, sinkage, and friction force according to the rotational velocity and the shape of the wheel were carried out and evaluated. The wheel test bed and the experiment results are expected to contribute to finding the optimal result in the designing of the wheel shape and the planning of the driving conditions through further study.
terramechanics;planetary exploration rover;wheel test bed;rotational velocity;wheel shape;slip ratio;sinkage
- M. Garber and J.-Y. Wong, "Prediction of ground pressure distribution under tracked vehicles - I. An analytical method for predicting ground pressure distribution," Journal of Terramechanics, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1-23, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4898(81)90015-X
- J.-Y. Wong and A. R. Reece, "Prediction of rigid wheel performance based on the analysis of soil-wheel stresses, Part 1. Performance of driven rigid wheels," Journal of Terramechanics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 81-98, 1967. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4898(67)90105-X
- M. G. Bekker, "Introduction to terrain-vehicle systems," Journal of Terramechanics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 75-77, 1970. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4898(70)90051-0
- S.-T. Chen, B Eng. M. Eng, "Analysis of the tractive performance of pneumatic tires over Soft Terrain," Ph.D. Thesis, Carleton University, Ottawa, pp. 1-79, Aug. 1993.
- G. Ishigami, "Terramechanics-based analysis and control for lunar/planetary exploration robots," Ph.D. Thesis, Tohoku University, Sendai, pp. 195-200, Mar. 2008.
- K. Iagnemma, S. Kang, H. Shibly, and S. Dubowsky, "Online terrain parameter estimation for wheeled mobile robots with application to planetary rovers," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 921-927, Oct. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRO.2004.829462
- J. Kim and J. Lee, "Real-time prediction of optimal control parameters for mobile robots based on estimated strength of ground surface," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics, and Systems (in Korean), vol. 20, no. 1 pp. 58-69, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.13.1921
- K.-J. Kim, S.-H. Kim, and K.-H. Yu, "Design of wheel test bed of planetary exploration rover and basic experiment," Proc. of ICROS (Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems) 2014 Jeonbuk-Jeju Branch Conference (in Korean), pp. 164-166, 2014.
Supported by : 한국연구재단