- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Digestible and Metabolizable Energy Content of Rice Bran Fed to Growing Pigs
- Shi, C.X. ;
- Liu, Z.Y. ;
- Shi, M. ;
- Li, P. ;
- Zeng, Z.K. ;
- Liu, L. ;
- Huang, C.F. ;
- Zhu, Z.P. ;
- Li, D.F.
- Received : 2014.07.10
- Accepted : 2014.11.23
- Published : 2015.05.01
Two experiments were conducted to determine the digestible energy (DE) and metabolizable energy (ME) content of 19 rice bran samples and to develop prediction equations for DE and ME based on their chemical composition. The 19 rice bran samples came from different rice varieties, processing methods and regions. The basal diet was formulated using corn and soybean meal (74.43% corn and 22.91% soybean meal and 2.66% vitamins and minerals). The 19 experimental diets based on a mixture of corn, soybean meal and 29.2% of each source of rice bran, respectively. In Exp. 1, 108 growing barrows (
Chemical Composition;Digestible and Metabolizable Energy;Growing Pigs;Prediction Equations;Process Method;Rice Bran
- Adeola, O. 2001. Digestion and balance techniques in pigs. In: Swine Nutrition (Eds. A. J. Lewis and L. L. Southern). CRC Press, Washington, DC, USA. pp. 903-916.
- AOAC International. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists Int., Arlington, VA, USA.
- AOAC International. 2005. Official Methods of Analysis. 18th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists Int., Arlington, VA, USA.
- Barber, S. and D. E. Barber. 1980. Rice bran: Chemistry and technology. In: Rice: Production and Utilization (Ed. B. S. Luh). AVI Publishing Company, Westport, CT, USA. pp. 790-862.
- Brooks, C. C. and I. G. Lumanta. 1975. Rice bran composition and digestibility by the pig. Proc. Western Sec. Amer. Soc. Anim. Sci. 27:112-114.
- Campabadal, C., D. Creswell, H. D. Wallace, and G. E. Combs. 1976. Nutritional value of rice bran for pigs. Trop. Agri. 53:141-149.
- Chris C., K. Parker, J. Parker, R. N. Sayre, and R. M. Saunders. 1985. Rice bran in swine rations. California Agriculture 5-6:19-20.
- David, J. F. 1994. Utilization of rice bran in diets for domestic fowl and ducklings. World's Poult. Sci. J. 50:115-131. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19940012
- Houston, D. F. 1972. Rice bran and polish. In: Rice Chemistry and Technology (Ed. D. F. Houston). American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. pp. 272-275.
- Hussein, A. S. and F. H. Kratzer. 1982. Effect of rancidity on the feeding value of rice bran for chickens. Poult. Sci. 61:2450-2455. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0612450
- Kaufmann, C., W. C. Sauer, M. Cervantes, Y. Zhang, J. He, M. Rademacher, and J. K. Htoo. 2005. Amino acid and energy digestibility in different sources of rice bran for growing pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 85: 355-363. https://doi.org/10.4141/A04-084
- Majun, G. K. and C. G. Payne. 1977. Autoclaved rice bran in layers' diets. Br. Poult. Sci. 18:201-203. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071667708416351
- Nehring, K. 1970. Futtermitteltabellenwerk. Dt. Landw. Verlag, Berlin, Germany.
- National Research Council. 2012. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 11th rev. ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Ren, P., Z. P. Zhu, B. Dong, J. J. Zang, and L. M. Gong. 2011. Determination of energy and amino acid digestibility in growing pigs fed corn distillers' dried grains with solubles containing different lipid levels. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 65:303-319. https://doi.org/10.1080/1745039X.2011.588849
- Robles, A. and R. C. Ewan. 1982. Utilization of energy of rice and rice bran by young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 55:572-577. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1982.553572x
- Sanderson, P. 1986. A new method of analysis of feeding stuffs for the determination of crude oils and fats In: Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition (Eds. W. Haresign and D. J. A. Cole). Butterworths, London, UK. pp. 77-81.
- Saunders, R. M. 1990. The properties of rice bran as a foodstuff. Cereal Food World 35:632, 634-636.
- Sauvant, D., J. M. Perez, and G. Tran. 2004. Tables of Composition and Nutritional Value of Feed Materials: Pig, poultry, sheep, goats, rabbits, horses, and fish (Eds. D. Sauvant, J. M. Perez, and G. Tran). Netherlands and INRA. Paris, France. pp. 304-309.
- Sayre, R. N., L. Earl, F. H. Kratzer, and R. M. Saunders. 1987. Nutritional qualities of stabilized and raw rice bran for chicks. Poult. Sci. 66:493-499. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0660493
- Serra, A., Z. B. Johnson, J. Smith, and P. Noland. 1983. Processing rice bran for pigs. Ark. Farm Res. 32: 12.
- Song, G. L., D. F. Li, X. S. Piao, F. Chi, and W. J. Yang. 2003. Apparent ileal digestibility of amino acids and the digestible and metabolizable energy content of high-oil corn varieties and its effects on growth performance of pigs. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 57:297-306. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039420310001594432
- Warren, B. E. and D. J. Farrell. 1990. The nutritive value of fullfat and defatted Australian rice bran. II. Growth studies with chickens, rats and pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 27:229-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(90)90085-M
- Zhou, Y. B., Q. Zhang, and T. M. Li. 2006. Relationship between ingredient of rice bran and whitening degree of rice. Cereal Feed Industry 1:10-12.
- Comparative digestibility of energy and nutrients in four fibrous ingredients fed to barrows at three different initial body weights pp.1918-1825, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/CJAS-2017-0094
- Effect of keratinase on ileal amino acid digestibility in five feedstuffs fed to growing pigs vol.31, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0815
- Net energy content of rice bran, corn germ meal, corn gluten feed, peanut meal, and sunflower meal in growing pigs vol.31, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0829