- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Selection for Duration of Fertility and Mule Duck White Plumage Colour in a Synthetic Strain of Ducks (Anas platyrhynchos)
- Liu, H.C. (Ilan Branch, Livestock Research Institute, Council of Agriculture) ;
- Huang, J.F. (Ilan Branch, Livestock Research Institute, Council of Agriculture) ;
- Lee, S.R. (Ilan Branch, Livestock Research Institute, Council of Agriculture) ;
- Liu, H.L. (Livestock Research Institute, Council of Agriculture) ;
- Hsieh, C.H. (Livestock Research Institute, Council of Agriculture) ;
- Huang, C.W. (Department of Aquaculture, National Taiwan Ocean University) ;
- Huang, M.C. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University) ;
- Tai, C. (Southern Taiwan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Poivey, J.P. (Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Station d'Amelioration Genetique des Animaux) ;
- Rouvier, R. (Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique) ;
- Cheng, Y.S. (Livestock Research Institute, Council of Agriculture)
- Received : 2014.09.22
- Accepted : 2014.11.08
- Published : 2015.05.01
A synthetic strain of ducks (Anas platyrhynchos) was developed by introducing genes for long duration of fertility to be used as mother of mule ducklings and a seven-generation selection experiment was conducted to increase the number of fertile eggs after a single artificial insemination (AI) with pooled Muscovy semen. Reciprocal crossbreeding between Brown Tsaiya LRI-2 (with long duration of fertility) and Pekin L-201 (with white plumage mule ducklings) ducks produced the G0. Then G1 were intercrossed to produce G2 and so on for the following generations. Each female duck was inseminated 3 times, at 26, 29, and 32 weeks of age. The eggs were collected for 14 days from day 2 after AI. Individual data regarding the number of incubated eggs (Ie), the number of fertile eggs at candling at day 7 of incubation (F), the total number of dead embryos (M), the maximum duration of fertility (Dm) and the number of hatched mule ducklings (H) with plumage colour were recorded. The selection criterion was the breeding values of the best linear unbiased prediction animal model for F. The results show high percentage of exhibited heterosis in G2 for traits to improve (19.1% for F and 12.9% for H); F with a value of 5.92 (vs 3.74 in the Pekin L-201) was improved in the G2. Heritabilities were found to be low for Ie (
Duck;Duration of Fertilization;Fertility;Selection;Plumage Colour
Supported by : National Science Council
- Brun, J. M. and C. Larzul. 2003. Inheritance of reproductive traits of female common ducks (Anas platyrhynchos) in pure breeding and in inter-generic crossbreeding with Muscovy ducks (Cairina moschata). Br. Poult. Sci. 44:40-45.
- Chang, M. T., Y. S. Cheng, and M. C. Huang. 2012a. The SNP genotypes of growth hormone gene associated with reproductive traits in Tsaiya ducks. Reprod. Domest. Anim. 47:568-573. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.2011.01918.x
- Chang, M. T., Y. S. Cheng, and M. C. Huang. 2012b. A novel nonsynonymous SNP of the COLX gene and its association with duck reproductive traits. Mol. Cell. Probes 26:204-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcp.2012.05.003
- Chang, M. T., Y. S. Cheng, and M. C. Huang. 2013. Novel genetic markers of the carbonic anhydrase II gene associated with egg production and reproduction traits in Tsaiya ducks. Reprod. Domest. Anim. 48:98-104. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.2012.02038.x
- Cheng, Y. S. 1995. The Selection for the Egg Production and Duration of Fertility in Brown Tsaiya Bred in Intergeneric Crossbreeding with Muscovy Drakes. PhD. Thesis, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France.
- Cheng, Y. S., R. Rouvier, J. P. Poivey, J. J. L. Tai, C. Tai, and S. C. Huang. 2002. Selection responses for number of fertile eggs of Brown Tsaiya duck (Anas platyrhynchos) after a single artificial insemination with pooled Muscovy (Cairina moschata) semen. Genet. Sel. Evol. 34:597-611. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-34-5-597
- Cheng, Y. S., R. Rouvier, J. P. Poivey, H. C. Huang, H. L. Liu, and C. Tai. 2005. Selection responses in duration of fertility and its consequences on hatchability in the intergeneric crossbreeding of ducks. Br. Poult. Sci. 46:565-571. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660500273193
- Cheng, Y. S., R. Rouvier, H. L. Liu, S. C. Huang, Y. C. Huang, C. W. Liao, J. J. L. Tai, C. Tai, and J. P. Poivey. 2009. Eleven generations of selection for the duration of fertility in the intergeneric crossbreeding of ducks. Genet. Sel. Evol. 41:32. (open access) https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-41-32
- Chou, K. Y. and H. H. Huang. 1970. The duck industry in Taiwan. Chinese-American Joint Commission on Rural Reconstruction, Animal Industry Series no 8.
- Groeneveld, E. 1990. PEST User's manual, Department of Animal Sciences. University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA.
- Groeneveld, E. 1996. REML VCE a multivariate multimodel restricted maximum likelihood (co) variance estimation package. Version 4.2 User's Guide. Institute of Animal Husbandry and Animal Behaviour, FAL, Mariensee, Germany.
- Huang, C. W. 2007. Construction of duck (Anas platyrhynchos) linkage maps by AFLP markers. Thesis PhD, National Chung- Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan.
- Huang, C. W., Y. S. Cheng, R. Rouvier, K. T. Yang, C. P. Wu, H. L. Huang, and M. C. Huang. 2009. Duck (Anas platyrhynchos) linkage mapping by AFLP fingerprinting. Genet. Sel. Evol. 41:28. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-41-28
- Huang, H. H. 1985. Selection of white mule ducks. J. Chin. Soc. Anim. Sci. 14:111-122.
- Huang, H. L., Y. S. Cheng, C. W. Huang, M. C. Huang, and W. H. Hsu. 2011a. A novel genetic marker of the ovomucoid gene associated with hatchability in Tsaiya ducks (Anas platyrhynchos). Anim. Genet. 42:421-427. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2010.02161.x
- Huang, H. L., Y. S. Cheng, K. T. Yang, C. H. Chen, M. C. Huang, and W. H. Hsu. 2011b. Genome-wide transcript expression analysis in the uterovaginal junction in association with fertile period in Tsaiya ducks. J. Reprod. Dev. 57:731-736. https://doi.org/10.1262/jrd.11-032K
- Huang, H. L., L. T. Huang, and Y. S. Cheng. 2013. A novel SNP marker of ovalbumin gene in association with duck hatchability. Theriogenology 79:1218-1223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2013.02.021
- Lake, P. E. 1975. Gamete production and the fertile period with particular reference to domesticated birds. Symp. Zool. Soc. 35:225-244.
- Lee, S. R., Y. H. Yu, and M. C. Chen. 1993. Selection of parental lines of white mule ducks. J. Taiwan Livest. Res. 26:121-129.
- Lee, S. R. and C. L. Kang. 1997. Improvement on percentage of white plumage in mule ducks. J. Taiwan Livest. Res. 30:293-299.
- Liu, H. C., S. R. Lee, H. L. Liu, C. H. Hsieh, C. W. Huang, M. C. Huang, C. Tai, J. P. Poivey, R. Rouvier, and Y. S. Cheng. 2010. Genetic parameters for the duration of fertility in a duck (Anas platyrhynchos) synthetic strain bred for mule ducks. In: Proceedings of the 14th AAAP Animal Science Congress, Pingtung, Taiwan. pp. 19.
- Liu, H. C., Y. H. Hu, J. F. Huang, J. P. Poivey, R. Rouvier, and Y. S. Cheng. 2013. Genetic parameters for the duration of fertility in Pekin ducks (Anas platyrhynchos). In: Proceedings of the 5th World Waterfowl Conference. Hanoi, Vietnam. pp. 50-53.
- Poivey, J. P., Y. S. Cheng, R. Rouvier, C. Tai, C. T. Wang, and H. L. Liu. 2001. Genetic parameters of reproductive traits in Brown Tsaiya ducks artificially inseminated with semen from Muscovy drakes. Poult. Sci. 80:703-709. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.6.703
- Rouvier, R., J. J. L. Tai, and C. Tai. 1984. Artificial insemination in common ducks for production of mule in Taiwan. The current situation-Artificial insemination and genetic improvement: Review and critical perspectives Toulouse- Auzeville, France. pp. 360-367.
- Statistical Analysis System Institute. 1996. SAS User's Guide Statistics. Version 6.12. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Sellier, N., J. M. Brun, M. M. Richard, F. Batellier, V. Dupuy, and J. P. Brillard. 2005. Comparison of fertility and embryo mortality following artificial insemination of common duck females (Anas platyrhynchos) with semen from common or Muscovy (Cairina moschata) drakes. Theriogenology 64:429-439. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2004.12.010
- Tai, J. J. L. and C. Tai. 1989. Studies on the artificial insemination of ducks. In Proceeding of the Symposium on Animal Production in Taiwan in Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of Taiwan Livestock Research Institute, Tainan, Taiwan. pp. 171-179.
Tai, J. J. L. and C. Tai. 1991. Mule duck production in Taiwan. I. Artificial insemination of ducks. Food and Technology Center, extension bulletin
- Tai, C., J. P. Poivey, and R. Rouvier. 1994. Heritabilities for duration of fertility traits in Brown Tsaiya female ducks (Anas platyrhynchos) by artificial insemination with pooled Muscovy (Cairina moschata) semen. Br. Poult. Sci. 35:59-64. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669408417670