- Volume 28 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Nitrogen Removal from Milking Center Wastewater via Simultaneous Nitrification and Denitrification Using a Biofilm Filtration Reactor
- Won, Seung-Gun (Department of Animal Life System, Kangwon National University) ;
- Jeon, Dae-Yong (Department of Animal Life System, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kwag, Jung-Hoon (National Institute of Animal Sciences, RDA) ;
- Kim, Jeong-Dae (Department of Animal Life System, Kangwon National University) ;
- Ra, Chang-Six (Department of Animal Life System, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2014.10.24
- Accepted : 2015.01.12
- Published : 2015.06.01
Milking center wastewater (MCW) has a relatively low ratio of carbon to nitrogen (C/N ratio), which should be separately managed from livestock manure due to the negative impacts of manure nutrients and harmful effects on down-stream in the livestock manure process with respect to the microbial growth. Simultaneous nitrification and denitrification (SND) is linked to inhibition of the second nitrification and reduces around 40% of the carbonaceous energy available for denitrification. Thus, this study was conducted to find the optimal operational conditions for the treatment of MCW using an attached-growth biofilm reactor; i.e., nitrogen loading rate (NLR) of 0.14, 0.28, 0.43, and
Carbon to Nitrogen Ratio;Milking Center Wastewater;Nitrogen Loading Rate;Simultaneous Nitrification and Denitrification
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- American Public Health Association (APHA). 1995. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 10th edition, APHA, Washington, DC, USA.
- Gupta, S. K., S. M. Raja, and A. B. Gupta. 1994. Simultaneous nitrification-denitrification in a rotating biological contactor. Environ. Technol. 15:145-153. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593339409385414
- Halling, S. B. and H. Hjuler. 1992. Simultaneous nitrification and denitrification with an upflow fixed bed reactor applying clinoptilolite as media. Water Treat. 7:77-88.
- Irvine, R. L., D. V. S. Murthy, J. L. Arora, J. L. Copeman, and J. A. Heidman. 1987. Analysis of full-scale SBR operation at Grundy Centre. Iowa. J. Water Pollut. Control Fed. 59:132-138.
- Masuda, S., Y. Watanabe, and M. Ishiguro. 1991. Biofilm properties and simultaneous nitrification and denitrification in aerobic rotating biological contactors. Water Sci. Technol. 23:1355-1363.
- Moriyama, K., K. Sato, Y. Harada, K. Washiyama, and K. Okamoto. 1990. Simultaneous biological removal of nitrogen and phosphorus using oxic-anaerobic-oxic process. Water Sci. Technol. 22(7/8):61-66.
- Munch, E. V., P. Lant, and J. Keller. 1996. Simultaneous nitrification and denitrification in bench-scale sequencing batch reactors. Water Res. 30:277-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(95)00174-3
- Rahimi, Y., A. Torabian, N. Mehrdadi, and B. Shahmoradi. 2011. Simultaneous nitrification-denitrification and phosphorus removal in a fixed bed sequencing batch reactor. J. Hazard. Mater. 185:852-857. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.09.098
- Safferman, S. 2008. Milking facility wash water: Facts and figures. Michigan Dairy Rev. 13:1-2.
- Sen, P. and S. K. Dentel. 1998. Simultaneous nitrificationdenitrification in a fluidized bed reactor. Water Sci. Technol. 38:247-254.
- Seyfried, C. F., A. Hippen, C.. Hlmer, S. Junst, and K.-H. Rosenwinkel. 2001. One-stage deammonification: nitrogen elimination at low costs. Water Sci. Technol. 1:71-80.
- Surmacz-Gorska, J., A. Cichon, and K. Miksch. 1997. Nitrogen removal from wastewater with high ammonia nitrogen concentration via shorter nitrification and denitrification. Water Sci. Technol. 36:73-78.
- Tchobanoglous, G., F. Burton, and H. Stensel. 2003. Wastewater Engineering Treatment and Reuse (4th Edn.). Metcalf & Eddy Inc., McGraw Hill, New York, USA.
- Turk, O. and D. S. Mavinic. 1986. Preliminary assessment of a shortcut in nitrogen removal from wastewater. Can. J. Civil Eng. 13:600-605. https://doi.org/10.1139/l86-094
- Turk, O. and D. Mavinic. 1989. Maintaining nitrite build-up in a system acclimated to free ammonia. Water Res. 23:1383-1388. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(89)90077-8
- Yoo, H., K. -H. Ahn, H. -J. Lee, K. -H. Lee, Y. -J. Kwak, and K. G. Song. 1999. Nitrogen removal from synthetic wastewater by simultaneous nitrification and denitrification (SND) via nitrite in an intermittently-aerated reactor. Water Res. 33:145-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(98)00159-6
- Zeng, R. J., R. Lemaire, Z. Yuan, and J. Keller. 2003. Simultaneous nitrification, denitrification, and phosphorus removal in a lab-scale sequencing batch reactor. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 84:170-178. https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.10744
- Simultaneous ammonium and nitrate removal by a modified intermittently aerated sequencing batch reactor (SBR) with multiple filling events vol.18, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1515/pjct-2016-0051