- Volume 8 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Vibration characteristics change of a base-isolated building with semi-active dampers before, during, and after the 2011 Great East Japan earthquake
- Dan, Maki (Graduate School of Science and Technology, Keio University) ;
- Ishizawa, Yuji (Graduate School of Science and Technology, Keio University) ;
- Tanaka, Sho (Graduate School of Science and Technology, Keio University) ;
- Nakahara, Shuchi (Graduate School of Science and Technology, Keio University) ;
- Wakayama, Shizuka (Graduate School of Science and Technology, Keio University) ;
- Kohiyama, Masayuki (Graduate School of Science and Technology, Keio University)
- Received : 2014.04.05
- Accepted : 2014.10.11
- Published : 2015.04.25
Structural vibration characteristics of a semi-active base-isolated building were investigated using seismic observation records including those of the 2011 Great East Japan earthquake (Tohoku earthquake). Three different types of analyses were conducted. First, we investigated the long-term changes in the natural frequencies and damping factors by using an ARX model and confirmed that the natural frequency of the superstructure decreased slightly after the main shock of the Tohoku earthquake. Second, we investigated short-term changes in the natural frequencies and damping factors during the main shock by using the N4SID method and observed different transition characteristics between the first and second modes. In the second mode, in which the superstructure response is most significant, the natural frequency changed depending on the response amplitude. In addition, at the beginning of the ground motion, the identified first natural frequency was high possibly as a result of sliding friction. Third, we compared the natural frequencies and damping factors between the conditions of a properly functional semi-active control system and a nonfunctional system, by using the records of the aftershocks of the Tohoku earthquake. However, we could not detect major differences because the response was probably influenced by sliding friction, which had a more significant effect on damping characteristics than did the semi-active dampers.
Supported by : JSPS KAKENHI
- Adachi, S. (2014), "Performance evaluation of system identification in frequency domain", J. Soc. Instrument Control Eng., 47(11), 915-920. (in Japanese)
- Adachi, S. (2004), MATLAB ni yoru Seigyo no tameno Jokyu Shisutemu Dotei (Advanced System Identification for Control Using MATLAB), Tokyo Denki University Press, Tokyo, Japan. (in Japanese)
- Association for Development of Earthquake Prediction (2014), Jishin Kasokudo Joho (Information of Seismic Acceleration), http://www.adep.or.jp/kanren/kasokudo.html
- Dan, M. and Kohiyama, M. (2013), "System identification and control improvement of a semi-activecontrolled base-isolated building using the records of the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquakes", Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability, New York, USA.
- Furukawa, T., Ito, M., Izawa, K. and Noori, M. (2005), "System identification of base-isolated building using seismic response data", J. Eng. Mech., 131(3), 268-275. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2005)131:3(268)
- Ljung, L. (1999), System Identification: Theory for the User, 2nd edition, Prentice-hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, USA.
- Mita, A. (2003), Structural dynamics for health monitoring, Sankeisha Co., Ltd, Nagoya, Japan, 114.
- Nagashima, I., Maseki, R., Shinozaki, Y., Yoyama, J. and Kohiyama, M. (2011), "Study on performance of semi-active base-isolation system using earthquake observation records," Proceedings of the International Symposium on Disaster Simulation and Structural Safety in the Next Generation, Kobe, Japan.
- Nakajima, K., Giron, N., Kohiyama, M., Watanabe, K., Yoshida, M., Yamanaka, M., Inaba, S., and Yoshida, O. (2012), "Seismic response analysis of a semi-active-controlled base-isolated building during the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake", Proceedings of the International Symposium on Engineering Lessons Learned from the Giant Earthquake, Tokyo, Japan.
- Van Overschee, P. and De Moor, B. (1994), "N4SID: Subspace Algorithms for the Identification of Combined Deterministic-Stochastic Systems", Automatica, 30(1), 75-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(94)90230-5
- Yoshida, K. (2001), "First building with semi-active base isolation", J. Japan Soc. Mech. Eng., 104(995), 698-702. (in Japanese)
- Seismic Risk–Based Stochastic Optimal Control of Structures Using Magnetorheological Dampers vol.18, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)NH.1527-6996.0000215
- Multiple Pounding Tuned Mass Damper (MPTMD) control on benchmark tower subjected to earthquake excitations vol.11, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.6.1123
- Constructing and evaluating generalized models for a base-isolated structure vol.25, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.2243