- Volume 8 Issue 4
Structural health monitoring (SHM) has gained in popularity in recent years since it can assess the performance and condition of instrumented structures in real time and provide valuable information to the asset's manager and owner. Operational modal analysis plays an important role in SHM and it involves the determination of natural frequencies, damping ratios and mode shapes of a constructed structure based on measured dynamic data. This paper presents the operational modal analysis and seismic response characterization of the Tsing Ma Suspension Bridge of 2,160 m long subjected to different earthquake events. Three kinds of events, i.e., short-distance, middle-distance and long-distance earthquakes are taken into account. A fast Bayesian modal identification method is used to carry out the operational modal analysis. The modal properties of the bridge are identified and compared by use of the field monitoring data acquired before and after the earthquake for each type of the events. Research emphasis is given on identifying the predominant modes of the seismic responses in the deck during short-distance, middle-distance and long-distance earthquakes, respectively, and characterizing the response pattern of various structural portions (deck, towers, main cables, etc.) under different types of earthquakes. Since the bridge is over 2,000 m long, the seismic wave would arrive at the tower/anchorage basements of the two side spans at different time instants. The behaviors of structural dynamic responses on the Tsing Yi side span and on the Ma Wan side span under each type of the earthquake events are compared. The results obtained from this study would be beneficial to the seismic design of future long-span bridges to be built around Hong Kong (e.g., the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge).
long-span bridge;earthquake excitation;operational modal analysis;identification of predominant modes;structural condition assessment
- Casciati, S., Tento, A., Marcellini, A. and Daminell, R. (2014), "Long run ambient noise recording for a masonry medieval tower", Smart Struct. Syst., 14(3), 367-376. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.3.367
- China Earthquake Network Center. http://www.csndmc.ac.cn/newweb/index.jsp
- Gomez, H.C., Ulusoy, H.S. and Feng, M.Q. (2013), "Variation of modal parameters of a highway bridge extracted from six earthquake records", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(4), 565-579. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2227
- Hong Kong Observatory. http://www.weather.gov.hk/contente.htm
- Ivanovic, S.S., Trifunac, M.D. and Todorovska, M.I. (2000), "Ambient vibration tests of structures-a review", J. Earthq. Technol., ISET, 37(4), 165-197.
- Ko, J.M. and Ni, Y.Q. (2005), "Technology developments in structural health monitoring of large-scale bridges", Eng. Struct., 27(12), 1715-1725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.02.021
- Loh, C.H. and Lee, Z.K. (1997), "Seismic monitoring of a bridge: assessing dynamic characteristics from both weak and strong ground excitations", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26(2), 269-288. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199702)26:2<269::AID-EQE644>3.0.CO;2-H
- Loh, C.H. and Lin, H.M. (1996), "Application of off-line and on-line identification techniques to building seismic response data", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 25(3), 269-290. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199603)25:3<269::AID-EQE554>3.0.CO;2-J
- Michel, C., Gueguen, P., El Arem, S., Mazars, J. and Kotronis, P. (2010), "Full-scale dynamic response of a RC building under weak seismic motions using earthquake recordings, ambient vibrations and modeling", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 39(4), 419-441.
- Ni, Y.Q., Hua, X.G., Fan, K.Q. and Ko, J.M. (2005), "Correlating modal properties with temperature using long-term monitoring data and support vector machine techniques", Eng. Struct., 27(12), 1762-1773. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.02.020
- Ni, Y.Q., Wang, J.Y. and Ko, J.M. (1999), "Finite element modelling and modal sensitivity analysis of the Tsing Ma Suspension Bridge", Report No. WASHMS-03(a), Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
- Ni, Y.Q., Wong, K.Y. and Xia, Y. (2011), "Health checks through landmark bridges to sky-high structures", Adv. Struct. Eng., 14(1), 103-119. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43220.127.116.11
- Ni, Y.Q., Xia, Y., Liao, W.Y. and Ko, J.M. (2009), "Technology innovation in developing the structural health monitoring system for Guangzhou New TV Tower", Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 16(1), 73-98. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.303
- Ou, J. and Li, H. (2009), "Structural health monitoring research in China: trends and applications", Struct. Health Monit. Civ. Infrastruct. Syst., Eds. V.M. Karbhari and F. Ansari, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK.
- Arici, Y. and Mosalam, K.M. (2003), "System identification of instrumented bridge systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 32(7), 999-1020. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.259
- Au, S.K. (2011), "Fast Bayesian FFT method for ambient modal identification with separated modes", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 137(3), 214-226. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000213
- Au, S.K. (2012a), "Fast Bayesian ambient modal identification in the frequency domain, Part I: Posterior most probable value", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 26, 60-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2011.06.017
- Au, S.K. (2012b), "Fast Bayesian ambient modal identification in the frequency domain, Part II: posterior uncertainty", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 26, 76-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2011.06.019
- Au, S.K. and Zhang, F.L. (2011), "On assessing the posterior mode shape uncertainty in ambient modal identification", Prob. Eng. Mech., 26(3), 427-434. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2010.11.009
- Au, S.K., Zhang, F.L. and Ni, Y.C. (2013), "Bayesian operational modal analysis: theory, computation, practice", Comput. Struct., 126, 3-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2012.12.015
- Beck, J.L. (2010), "Bayesian system identification based on probability logic", Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 17(7), 825-847. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.424
- Beck, J.L. and Jennings, P.C. (1980), "Structural identification using linear model and earthquake records", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 8(2), 145-160 https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290080205
- Brownjohn, J.M.W., Moyo, P., Omenzetter, P. and Chakraborty, S. (2005), "Lessons from monitoring the performance of highway bridge", Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 12(3-4), 227-244. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.67
- Papadimitriou, C., Beck, J.L. and Katafygiotis, L.S. (2001), "Updating robust reliability using structural test data", Prob. Eng. Mech., 16(2), 103-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-8920(00)00012-6
- Siringoringo, D.M. and Fujino, Y. (2006), "Observed dynamic performance of the Yokohama-Bay Bridge from system identification using seismic records", Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 13(1), 226-244. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.135
- Smyth, A.W., Pei, J.S. and Masri, S.F. (2003), "System identification of the Vincent Thomas suspension bridge using earthquake records", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 32(3), 339-367. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.226
- Todorovska, M.I. and Trifunac, M.D. (2008), "Impulse response analysis of the VanNuys 7-story hotel during 11 earthquakes and earthquake damage detection", Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 15(1), 90-116. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.208
- Ulusoy, H.S., Feng, M.Q. and Fanning, P.J. (2011), "System identification of a building from multiple seismic records", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 40(6), 661-674. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1053
- Wang, J.Y., Ko, J.M. and Ni, Y.Q. (2000), "Modal sensitivity analysis of Tsing Ma Bridge for structural damage detection", Nondestructive Evaluation of Highways, Utilities, and Pipelines IV, Eds. A.E. Aktan and S.R. Gosselin, SPIE, 3995, 300-311.
- Wong, K.Y. (2004), "Instrumentation and health monitoring of cable-supported bridges", Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 11(2), 91-124. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.33
- Wong, K.Y. and Ni, Y.Q. (2011), "Structural health monitoring of a suspension bridge", Monitoring Technologies for Bridge Management, Eds. B. Bakht, A.A. Mufti and L.D. Wegner, Multi-Science Publishing, Essex, UK.
- Xia, Y., Hao, H., Zanardo, G. and Deeks, A. (2006), "Long term vibration monitoring of an RC slab: temperature and humidity effect", Eng. Struct., 28(3), 441-452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.09.001
- Yuen, K.V. and Katafygiotis, L.S. (2003), "Bayesian fast Fourier transform approach for modal updating using ambient data", Adv. Struct. Eng., 6(2), 81-95. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943303769013183
- Yuen, K.V. and Kuok, S.C. (2010), "Ambient interference in long-term monitoring of buildings", Eng. Struct., 32(8), 2379-2386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.04.012
- Zhang, F.L. and Au, S.K. (2013), "Erratum for Fast Bayesian FFT method for ambient modal identification with separated modes by Siu-Kui Au", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 139(4), 545-545. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000501
- Operational modal identification and finite element model updating of a coupled building following Bayesian approach vol.25, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.2089
- Contribution of local site-effect on the seismic response of suspension bridges to spatially varying ground motions vol.10, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.5.1233
- Operational modal analysis of Canton Tower by a fast frequency domain Bayesian method vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.2.209
- Mode identifiability of a cable-stayed bridge based on a Bayesian method vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.3.471
- Seismic response of a suspension bridge: Insights from long-term full-scale seismic monitoring system vol.25, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.2252