- Volume 8 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
System identification of high-rise buildings using shear-bending model and ARX model: Experimental investigation
- Fujita, Kohei (Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Kyoto University) ;
- Ikeda, Ayumi (Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Kyoto University) ;
- Shirono, Minami (Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Kyoto University) ;
- Takewaki, Izuru (Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Kyoto University)
- Received : 2014.04.01
- Accepted : 2014.07.06
- Published : 2015.04.25
System identification is regarded as the most basic technique for structural health monitoring to evaluate structural integrity. Although many system identification techniques extracting mode information (e.g., mode frequency and mode shape) have been proposed so far, it is also desired to identify physical parameters (e.g., stiffness and damping). As for high-rise buildings subjected to long-period ground motions, system identification for evaluating only the shear stiffness based on a shear model does not seem to be an appropriate solution to the system identification problem due to the influence of overall bending response. In this paper, a system identification algorithm using a shear-bending model developed in the previous paper is revised to identify both shear and bending stiffnesses. In this algorithm, an ARX (Auto-Regressive eXogenous) model corresponding to the transfer function for interstory accelerations is applied for identifying physical parameters. For the experimental verification of the proposed system identification framework, vibration tests for a 3-story steel mini-structure are conducted. The test structure is specifically designed to measure horizontal accelerations including both shear and bending responses. In order to obtain reliable results, system identification theories for two different inputs are investigated; (a) base input motion by a modal shaker, (b) unknown forced input on the top floor.
system identification;high-rise building;shear-bending model;ARX model;experiment
Supported by : Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- Kobori, T., Inoue, Y., Seto, K., Iemura, H. and Nishitani, A. (1998), Proceedings of 2nd World Conference on Structural Control, John Wiley & Sons: Kyoto, Japan.
- Kuwabara, M., Yoshitomi, S. and Takewaki, I. (2013), "A new approach to system identification and damage detection of high-rise buildings", Struct. Control. Hlth. Monit., 20(5), 703-727. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1486
- Minami, Y., Yoshitomi, S. and Takewaki, I. (2013a), "System identification of super high-rise building using limited vibration data during the 2011 Tohoku (Japan) earthquake", Struct. Control. Hlth. Monit., 20(11), 1317-1338.
- Minami, Y., Shirono, M., Fujita, K. and Takewaki, I. (2013b), "Stiffness identification of high-rise building with unknown vibration source using bending-shear model and ARX model", J. Struct. Construct. Eng., AIJ, 690, (in Japanese).
- Udwadia, F.E., Sharma, D.K. and Shah, P.C. (1978), "Uniqueness of damping and stiffness distributions in the identification of soil and structural systems", J. Appl. Mech., ASME, 45(1), 181-187. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3424224
- Yoshitomi, S., Maeda, T. and Takewaki, I. (2009), "Stiffness-damping simultaneous identification of buildings including unknown inner vibration source", J. Struct. Construct. Eng., 74(645), 1983-1991. (in Japanese) https://doi.org/10.3130/aijs.74.1983
- Zhang, D.Y. and Johnson, E.A. (2013), "Substructure identification for shear structures I: Substructure identification method", Struct. Control. Hlth. Monit., 20(5), 804-820. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1497
- Bendat, J.S., Palo, P.A. and Coppolini, R.N. (1992), "A general identification technique for nonlinear differential equations of motion", Probab. Eng. Mech., 7(1), 43-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-8920(92)90008-6
- Bendat, J.S. (1998), Nonlinear Systems Techniques and Applications, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Bernal, D. and Beck, J. (2004), "Preface to the special issue on phase I of the IASC- ASCE structural health monitoring benchmark", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 130(1), 1-2. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2004)130:1(1)
- Casciati, F. (2002), Proceedings of 3rd World Conference on Structural Control, John Wiley & Sons:Como.
- Doebling, S.W., Farrar, C.R., Prime M.B. and Shevitz D.W. (1996). "Damage identification and health monitoring of structural and mechanical systems from changes in their vibration characteristics: A literature review", Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-13070-MS.
- Fujino, Y., Nishitani, A. and Mita, A., (2010), Proceedings of 5th World Conference on Structural Control and Monitoring, (5WCSCM), Tokyo, Japan.
- Hart, G.C. and Yao, J.T.P. (1977), "System identification in structural dynamics", J. Eng. Mech. Div., ASCE, 103(6), 1089-1104.
- Housner, G.W., Bergman, L., Caughey, T.K., Chassiakos, A.G., Claus, R.O., Masri, S.F. and Yao, J.T. (1997), "Structural control: past, present, and future", J. Eng. Mech., 123(9), 897-971. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:9(897)
- Housner, G.W., Masri, S.F. and Chassiakos, A.G. (1994), Proceedings of 1st World Conference on Structural Control. IASC: Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Kougioumtzoglou, I.A. and Spanos, P.D. (2013), "An identification approach or linear and nonlinear time-variant structural systems via harmonic wavelets", Mech. Sys. Signal Pr., 37(1), 338-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2013.01.011
- Kozin, F. and Natke, H.G. (1986), "System identification techniques", Struct. Safety, 3(3), 269-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4730(86)90006-8
- Nayeri, R.D., Masri, S.F., Ghanem, R.G. and Nigbor, R.L. (2008), "A novel approach for the structural identification and monitoring of a full-scale 17-story building based on ambient vibration measurements", Smart Mater. Struct., 17(2), 1-19.
- Spanos, P.D. and Lu, R. (1995), "Nonlinear system identification in offshore structural reliability", J. Offshore Mech. Arctic Eng., 117(3), 171-177. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2827086
- Takewaki, I. and Nakamura, M. (2000), "Stiffness-damping simultaneous identification using limited earthquake records", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 29(8), 1219-1238. https://doi.org/10.1002/1096-9845(200008)29:8<1219::AID-EQE968>3.0.CO;2-X
- Takewaki, I. and Nakamura, M. (2005), "Stiffness-damping Simultaneous Identification under Limited Observation", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 131(10), 1027-1035. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2005)131:10(1027)
- Takewaki, I., Nakamura, M. and Yoshitomi, S. (2011), System Identification for Structural Health Monitoring, WIT Press (UK).
- Johnson, E. and Smyth, A. (2006), Proceedings of 4th World Conference on Structural Control and Monitoring, (4WCSCM). IASC: San Diego, CA, USA.
- Inverse vibration technique for structural health monitoring of offshore jacket platforms vol.62, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2016.11.010
- Influence of wind disturbance on smart stiffness identification of building structure using limited micro-tremor observation vol.56, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.56.2.293