- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Concentration of volatile organic compounds(VOCs) in ambient air and level of residents in industrial area
산단지역 공기 중 휘발성유기화합물농도와 지역주민의 노출 수준
Woo, Kyungsook;Park, Heejin;Kang, Tackshin;Kim, Geunbae;Jeon, Junmin;Jang, Bongki;Lee, Jongwha;Son, Busoon
- Received : 2015.02.11
- Accepted : 2015.03.25
- Published : 2015.03.31
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to investigate the atmospheric concentration of VOCs and the urinary concentration of t,t-MA, HA, MA in the industrial complex of Yeosu, South Jeolla Province. Methods: In order to study seasonal patterns of air concentration of VOCs, measurements were taken at five sampling sites around Yeosu from June 2013 to June 2014. Urinary metabolite excretionsfrom 671 subjects, exposure and comparison area were analyzed. Results: The average concentration of VOCs in the air was 1.53ppb for benzene, 0.73ppb for toluene, 0.22ppb for ethylbenzene, 0.52ppb for xylene and 0.12ppb for styrene. The concentration of benzene was somewhat higher than the year-average standard (
VOCs in air;industrial area;VOC metabolite
- Chen YS, Chua SC, Lee BL, Ong HY, Jeyaratam J, Ong CN, Kinetics of styrene urinary metabolites; a study in a low-level occupational exposure setting in singapore. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 1994; 65:319-323. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00405696
- Cheong JP, You SJ. Characteristics and Identification of Ambient VOCs Sources in Busan Industrial Area. Korean society of environmental engineers 2011;33(9):644-655. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2011.33.9.644
- Choi SJ, Kim W. Status of benzene exposure and suggested countermeasures for petrochemical workers in the Yeosu Industrial Complex. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 2007;17(4):310-321.
- Cocco P, Tocco MG, Ibba A, Scano L, Ennas MG, Flore C, Randaccio FS. trans, trans- Muconic acid excretion in relation to environmental exposure to benzene. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 2003;76;456-460. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00420-002-0413-6
- Ha H. Air Environmental Numerical Modeling of Coastal Area using local Air environmental model. The Graduate School Mokpo University. 2007.
- Jang NJ, Dan SK, Shin DI, Lee GB, Yoon ES. The Role of Process Systems Engineering for Sustainability in the Chemical Industries. Korean Chemical Engineering Research 2013;51(2);221-225. https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2013.51.2.221
- Jeong GS. The study of improve the safety management from the disaster accident analysis in Yosu industrial complex. The Graduate School Dongshin University. 2010.
- Kang JH. Concentration of Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in urban ambient air. The Graduate School Yonsei University. 2003.
- Kang JY. Trend analysis of patents on volatile organic compounds(VOCs) control technologies in the industrial process. The Graduate School Chungnam University. 2013.
- Kim DS, Lee CH, Eom SY, Kang TS, Kim YD et al. Effects of the Exposure to Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons or Toluene on Thiobarbituric Acid Reactive Substance Level in Elementary School Children and the Elderly in a Rural Area. J Prev Med Public Health. 2008a;41(1):61-67. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2008.41.1.61
- Kim HH, Lim YW, Yang JY, Lee YJ, Suh I et al. BTEX and MTBE Concentrations in Residential Indoor Air Near Industrial Complex, Korea. J. Environ. Toxicology 2007;22(2):103-109.
- Kim JC, Kim KH. The Temporal Distribution Characteristics of Some Important VOC Species from a Nonurban Site in Naju. Journal of the korean environmental science society. 2000;9(6):483-488.
- Kim KH. A Study on the Comprehensive Education and Training Program for Petrochemical Disasters Response. nstitute of governmrntal studies. 2011;17(2):217-257.
- Kim KM, Eom SY, Yim DH, Moon SI, Kim YD et al. Urinary Hippuric Acid and trans,trans-Muconic Acid Levels According to Commuting Mode and Duration, Residential Environment, and Intake of Preservative-Added Foods and Beverages in University Students. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2012;24(1):61-71.
- Centers for disease control and prevention(CDC). Fourth National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals. 2014.
- American Petroleum Institute(API). Chemistry and petroleum for classroom use in chemistry courses. Whashington, D.C. 1971.
- Bong SH, Jeong SW, Park HJ, Kim WS, Kim SH. A study on the characteristics of ambient volatile organic compounds in Gimhae. Journal of the Environmental Science 2008;17(8):871-878. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2008.17.8.871
- Boogaard PJ, Sittert NJ. Biological monitoring of exposure to benzene: a comparison between S-phenylmercapturic acid, trans, trans-muconic acid, and phenol. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 1995;52:611-620. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.52.9.611
- Kim SD, Hwang UH, Yoon GH, Kim TO, Park JG et al. The Characteristic of BTEX Distribution in Bucheon City using On-line GC-PID. Journal of korean society of urban environment. 2010;10(3):325-334.
- Kim SH, Park JU, Moon JD. Change of Urinary Trans, Trans-Muconic Acid before and after Turnaround Process in a Petrochemical Plant. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2008b;20(4):335-342.
- Korea Industrial complex corporation(KICC). 2013.
- Lee CH, Park KH, Lee MJ, Choi WH, Kim H et al. Health Effect Assessment on Volunteers Involved in the Cleanup Operation Following the Hebei Spirit Oil Spill Along the Taean Coast, Korea. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2010;22(1):11-19.
- Lee DH. Characterization of Hazardous Air Pollutants in a Petrochemical Industrial Complex. The Graduate School Yeungnam University. 2009.
- Lee SM, Won JU, Kim CN, Roh JH. The Relationship between Exposure to Benzene and the Excretion of Urinary Trans, Trans-muconic Acid in Petrochemical Factory Turnaround Process Workers. Korea Society Of Occupational And Environmental Hygiene 2014;24(1):52-58. https://doi.org/10.15269/JKSOEH.2014.24.1.052
- Lee SW. Study regarding a discharge characteristic for management to be efficient of VOCs under atmosphere of Daegu-area : Specially in residential districts and residential/commercial composition areas. The Graduate School Kyungpook University. 2010.
- Lee YJ, Kim YS, Shin DC, Shin YC. A Study on Developing a Model for Cancer Damage Cost Due to Risk from Benzene in Ulsan Metropolitan City. Environmental and resource Economics Review 2004;13(1):49-82.
- Lee YJ. A study on the characteristics of concentration and source of ambient volatile organic compounds in Kwangju. The Graduate School Chosun University. 2001.
- Lin YS, McKelvey W, Waidyanatha S, Rappaport SM. Variability of albumin adducts of 1,4-benzoquinone, a toxic metabolite of benzene, in human volunteers. Biomarkers 2006;11:14-27. https://doi.org/10.1080/13547500500382975
- Marrubini G, Coccini T, Maestri L, Manzo L. Effect of sorbic acid administration on urinary trans,trans muconic acid excretion in rats exposed to low levels of benzene. Food Chem Toxicol. 2002;40(12):1799-1806. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(02)00185-0
- Ministry of Environment Notice, 2000-165.
- Na KS, Kim YP, Moon KC, Moon I, Fung K. Concentrations of volatile organic compounds in an industrial area of Korea. Atmospheric Environment. 2001;35(15):2747-2756. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(00)00313-7
- Nagayama T, Nishijima M, Yasuda K, Saito K, Kamimura H et al. Benzoic acid in agricultural food products and processed foods. Food Hygiene and Safety Science. 1986;27(3):316-325. https://doi.org/10.3358/shokueishi.27.316
- Narayan KM, Ali MK, Koplan JP. Global noncommunicable diseases-where worlds meet. N Engl J Med 2010;363:1196-1198. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1002024
- National institute of environmental research. Health impact assessment of community residents near dyeing industrial complex in Daegu. 2013b.
- National institute of environmental research. Monitoring of Exposure to Environmental Pollutants and Health Effects of Inhabitants in Industrial Complexes (Ulsan, 2nd Stage, 1nd Year). 2012a.
- National institute of environmental research. Monitoring of Exposure to Environmental Pollutants and Health Effects of Inhabitants in Industrial Complexes Cheongju and Daesan(2nd Stage, 1nd Year). 2012c.
- National institute of environmental research. Monitoring of Exposure to Environmental Pollutants and Health Effects of Inhabitants in Industrial Complexes Sihwa-Banwol (2nd Stage, 1nd Year). 2012b.
- National institute of environmental research. Research to standardize the analysis of environmental pollutants in biological samples. 2012d.
- Ogata M. Indices of biological monitoring with special reference to urinalysis for metabolities of organic solvents. Japan Journal Industrial Health. 1985;27:229-241.
- Oh HC. Availability of trans, trans-muconic acid as a biomarker for exposure to low concentrations of benzene. The Graduate School Yonsei University. 2004.
- Park HJ. Comparison of VOCs and HCHO Emissions from Wood Products for the Enhancement of Indoor air quality. The Graduate School Konkuk University. 2006.
- Park JH, Park HG, Suh JM. Characterization of Volatile Organic Compounds(VOCs) Concentrations in Jinju. Journal of the korean environmental science society. 2013;22(1):91-98.
- Rappaport SM, Waidyanatha S, Qu Q, Shore R, Jin X et al. Albumin adducts of benzene oxide and 1,4-benzoquinone as measures of human benzene metabolism. Cancer Res. 2002;62:1330-1337.
- Ruppert T, Scherer G, Tricker AR, Adlkofer F. trans, trans-Muconic acid as a biomarker of non-occupational environmental exposure to benzene. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 1997;69:247-251. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004200050143
- Shin DC, Park SE, Lim YW, Yang JY, Kim MS. Exposure Assessment of Volatile Organic Matters(VOCs) Using Exposure Biomarker in the Residents Living Near Petrochemical Industry Areas. Korean J. Environ. Toxicol 2000;15(3):81-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1522-7278(2000)15:2<81::AID-TOX3>3.0.CO;2-7
- Shin HS, Ahn HS. The study on the measurement of volatile organic compounds in the air of A and B industrial area. Analytical science & technology. 2004;17(2):130-144.
- Wallace LA. Major sources of benzene exposure. Environ Health Perspect 1989;82:165-169. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.8982165
- Weaver VM, Buckley T, Groopman JD. Lack of specificity of trans,trans-muconic acid as a benzene biomarker after ingestion of sorbic acid-preserved foods. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2000;9(7):749-55.
- Yim HW, Park JY, Roh YM, Lee KS, Lee JM et al. Effects of Genetic Factor, Life Styles, and Diet on Urinary Hippuric Acid Excretion in Toluene Exposed Workers. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2000;12(3):405-420.
- Yu YD. Multi-sector Analysis of Volatile Organic Compounds(VOCs) in Seoul. The Graduate School Yonsei University. 2000.
- Evaluation of VOCs exposure concentration and health effects assessment regarding respiratory diseases vol.17, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.15250/joie.2018.17.2.151