- Volume 10 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
DCM Frequency Control Algorithm for Multi-Phase DC-DC Boost Converters for Input Current Ripple Reduction
- Joo, Dong-Myoung ;
- Kim, Dong-Hee ;
- Lee, Byoung-Kuk
- Received : 2015.04.22
- Accepted : 2015.07.08
- Published : 2015.11.01
In this paper, a discontinuous conduction mode (DCM) frequency control algorithm is proposed to reduce the input current ripple of a multi-phase interleaved boost converter. Unlike conventional variable duty and constant frequency control, the proposed algorithm controls the switching frequency to regulate the output voltage. By fixing the duty ratio at 1/N in the N-phase interleaved boost converter, the input current ripple can be minimized by ripple cancellation. Furthermore, the negative effects of the diode reverse recovery current are eliminated because of the DCM characteristic. A frequency controller is designed to employ the proposed algorithm considering the magnetic permeability change. The proposed algorithm is analyzed in the frequency domain and verified by a 600 W three-phase boost converter prototype that achieved 57% ripple current reduction.
Interleaved boost converter;Input current ripple reduction;DCM operation and fixed duty - frequency control
- ChangSung Corporation, “Magnetic Powder Cores”, Ver. 1.3, pp 43, 2013.
- Texas instruments, "Ringing reduction techniques for NexFETTM high performance MOSFETs", TI Application Report, Nov. 2011.
- Wei Zhang, Xiucheng Huang, Fred C. Lee, Qiang Li, “Gate Drive Design Considerations for High Voltage Cascode GaN HEMT”, IEEE Pro. APEC'2014, pp. 1484-1489, Mar. 2014.
- D. K. Kwak, “A Study on Isolated DCM Converter for High Efficiency and High Power Factor”, Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 477-483, Sep., 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.3.477
- D. H. Kim, G. Y. Choe, and B. K. Lee, “Design and Control of an Optimized Battery Charger for an xEV based on Photovoltaic Power Systems,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1602-1613, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1602
- Daniel W. Hart, “Introduction to power electronics”, Prentice Hall, 1997.
- D. H. Kim, G. Y. Choi, B. K. Lee, “DCM Analysis and Inductance Design Method of Interleaved Boost Converters”, IEEE Trans Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 4700-4711, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2236579
- G. Y. Choe, J. S. Kim, H. S. Kang and B. K. Lee, “An Optimal Design Methodology of an Interleaved Boost Converter for Fuel Cell Applications”, Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 319-328, Jun., 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.2.319
- N.K. Poon, J.C.P. Liu, C.K. Tse, and M.H. Pong, “Techniques for input ripple current cancellation: classification and implementation”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1144-1152, Nov. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.892829
- Birca-Galateanu, S., “Double DC-DC converters with low input current ripple”, IEEE 31st Power Electronics Specialists Conference, vol. 2, pp. 837-842, Galway, 2000.
- Wang, J., Dunford, W.G., Mauch, K., “Analysis of a ripple-free input-current boost converter with discontinuous conduction characteristics”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 684-694, Nov. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.602564
- Leu, C. -S., Nha, Q. T, “A half-bridge converter with input current ripple reduction for DC distribution systems”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1756-1763, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2213269
- Rosas-Caro, J.C., Mancilla-David, F., Mayo-Maldonado, J.C., Gonzalez-Lopez, J.M., Torres-Espinosa, H.L., Valdez-Resendiz, J.E., “A transformer-less high-gain boost converter with input current ripple cancelation at a selectable duty cycle”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 4492-4499, Nov. 2013.
- Heinz van der Broeck, Ibrahim Tezcan, “1 KW Dual Interleaved Boost Converter for Low Voltage Applications”, Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (IPEMC), Aug., 2006.
- M. Rogol, S. Doi, and A. Wilkinson, “Sun screen: Investment opportunities in solar power,” Solar Power Sector Outlook, CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets, Jul. 2004.