- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Sexual Abuse on Posttraumatic Psychiatric Symptoms in Children and Adolescents with Sexual Abuse
성학대를 경험한 소아, 청소년에서 성학대가 외상 후 정신 증상에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2014.11.28
- Accepted : 2015.01.12
- Published : 2015.03.31
Objectives : The purpose of this study is to examine the effects of the characteristics of victim and sexual abuse on posttraumatic psychiatric symptoms in children and adolescents with a history of sexual abuse. Methods : A total of 137 children and adolescents were recruited from the Seoul Sunflower Children Center, a nation-funded sexual violence victim protection center, from January 2009 to December 2013. We collected the demographic data of the victims and the Trauma Symptom Checklist for Children (TSCC) from victims. We hypothesized victims' age, sex, and intelligence quotient, and the characteristics of sexual abuse as the affecting factors of posttraumatic psychiatric symptoms. Descriptive analysis and hierarchical regression analysis were performed for analysis of demographic data, TSCC scores, and psychiatric symptoms. Results : The victims' age and the characteristics of sexual abuse were significantly related to the traumatic distress of sexual abuse. R-square was 23% for anxiety, 39% for depression, 21% for posttraumatic stress, and 37% for dissociation on TSCC. Conclusion : This study suggests that victims' age, type, frequency and duration of exposure, and disclosure of sexual abuse are significant affecting factors on posttraumatic psychiatric symptoms in children and adolescents. Exploration of psychiatric symptoms other than posttraumatic symptoms, and relations between pretraumatic and posttraumatic psychiatric symptoms is needed through collection of larger samples.
Adolescent;Child Abuse, Sexual;Psychopathology
- Ruggiero KJ, McLeer SV, Dixon JF. Sexual abuse characteristics associated with survivor psychopathology. Child Abuse Negl 2000; 24:951-964. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2134(00)00144-7
- Kendall-Tackett KA, Williams LM, Finkelhor D. Impact of sexual abuse on children: a review and synthesis of recent empirical studies. Psychol Bull 1993;113:164-180. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.113.1.164
- Beitchman JH, Zucker KJ, Hood JE, daCosta GA, Akman D. A review of the short-term effects of child sexual abuse. Child Abuse Negl 1991;15:537-556. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(91)90038-F
- Beitchman JH, Zucker KJ, Hood JE, daCosta GA, Akman D, Cassavia E. A review of the long-term effects of child sexual abuse. Child Abuse Negl 1992;16:101-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(92)90011-F
- Everill JT, Waller G. Reported sexual abuse and eating psychopathology: a review of the evidence for a causal link. Int J Eat Disord 1995;18:1-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-108X(199507)18:1<1::AID-EAT2260180102>3.0.CO;2-I
- Everill J, Waller G, Macdonald W. Dissociation in bulimic and noneating- disordered women. Int J Eat Disord 1995;17:127-134. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-108X(199503)17:2<127::AID-EAT2260170204>3.0.CO;2-B
- Quas JA, Goodman GS, Jones D. Predictors of attributions of selfblame and internalizing behavior problems in sexually abused children. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2003;44:723-736. https://doi.org/10.1111/1469-7610.00158
- Tong L, Oates K, McDowell M. Personality development following sexual abuse. Child Abuse Negl 1987;11:371-383. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(87)90011-1
- Hunter JA, Goodwin DW, Wilson RJ. Attributions of blame in child sexual abuse victims: an analysis of age and gender influences. J Child Sex Abuse 1993;1:75-89. https://doi.org/10.1300/J070v01n03_06
- Everson MD, Hunter WM, Runyon DK, Edelsohn GA, Coulter ML. Maternal support following disclosure of incest. Am J Orthopsychiatry 1989;59:197-207. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-0025.1989.tb01651.x
- Hazzard A, Celano M, Gould J, Lawry S, Webb C. Predicting symptomatology and self-blame among child sex abuse victims. Child Abuse Negl 1995;19:707-714. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(95)00028-7
- Maniglio R. The impact of child sexual abuse on health: a systematic review of reviews. Clin Psychol Rev 2009;29:647-657. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2009.08.003
- Lim JY, Kim TK, Choi JY, Shin YJ. Sexual behaviors in sexually abused children. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2006; 17:40-50.
- Kim TK, Kim SH, Choi KS, Choi JY, Lim JY, Eom SY, et al. Psychopathology of sexually abused children in Korea. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 2006;45:165-173.
- Choi JY. The effects of attributions and perceptions on depression, anxiety, PTSD symptoms in sexually abused children. Cogn Behav Ther Korea 2013;13:65-86.
- Kim YS, Cheon KA, Kim BN, Chang SA, Yoo HJ, Kim JW, et al. The reliability and validity of Kiddie-Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia-Present and Lifetime Version- Korean version (K-SADS-PL-K). Yonsei Med J 2004;45:81-89. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2004.45.1.81
- Briere J. Trauma Symptom Checklist for Children: Professional Manual. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources Inc.;1996.
- Chung US. The Korean version of the trauma symptom checklist for children: psychometric properties and the connection to trauma among Korean children and adolescents. J Korean Med Sci 2014;29: 837-845. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2014.29.6.837
- Wolfe VV, Gentile C, Wolfe DA. The impact of sexual abuse on children: a PTSD formulation. Behav Ther 1989;20:215-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(89)80070-X
- Giaconia RM, Reinherz HZ, Silverman AB, Pakiz B, Frost AK, Cohen E. Traumas and posttraumatic stress disorder in a community population of older adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1995;34:1369-1380. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199510000-00023
- Widom CS. Posttraumatic stress disorder in abused and neglected children grown up. Am J Psychiatry 1999;156:1223-1229.
- Molnar BE, Buka SL, Kessler RC. Child sexual abuse and subsequent psychopathology: results from the National Comorbidity Survey. Am J Public Health 2001;91:753-760. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.91.5.753
- Boney-McCoy S, Finkelhor D. Prior victimization: a risk factor for child sexual abuse and for PTSD-related symptomatology among sexually abused youth. Child Abuse Negl 1995;19:1401-1421. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(95)00104-9
- Wolfe DA, Sas L, Wekerle C. Factors associated with the development of posttraumatic stress disorder among child victims of sexual abuse. Child Abuse Negl 1994;18:37-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(94)90094-9
- Zivney OA, Nash MR, Hulsey TL. Sexual abuse in early versus late childhood: differing patterns of pathology as revealed on the rorschach. Psychother 1988;25:99-106. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0085328
- Browne C, Winkelman C. The effect of childhood trauma on later psychological adjustment. J Interpers Violence 2007;22:684-697. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260507300207
- Hong KE. Korean textbook of child psychiatry. In: Yang SJ, editor. Child sexual abuse. Seoul: Hakjisa;2014. p.426-437.
- The Major Elements of Psychological Assessment and Intervention for Children and Adolescents after a Disaster: A Professional Delphi Preliminary Survey vol.27, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2016.27.3.164