- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Verification, Validation, and Accreditation (VV&A) Considering Military and Defense Characteristics
- Kim, Jung Hoon (Industrial and Systems Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Jeong, Seugmin (Industrial and Systems Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Oh, Sunkyung (Industrial and Systems Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Jang, Young Jae (Industrial and Systems Engineering, KAIST)
- Received : 2015.02.18
- Accepted : 2015.03.16
- Published : 2015.03.30
In this paper, we identify the characteristics of modeling and simulation (M&S) for military and defense and propose the method of verification, validation, and accreditation (VV&A) using the identified characteristics. M&S has been widely used for many different applications in military and defense, including training, analysis, and acquisition. Various methods and processes of VV&A have been proposed by researchers and M&S practitioners to guarantee the correctness of M&S. The notion of applying formal credibility assessment in VV&A originated in software engineering reliability testing and the systems engineering development process. However, the VV&A techniques and processes proposed for M&S by the research community have not addressed the characteristics and issues specific to military and defense. We first identify the characteristics and issues of military/defense M&S and then propose techniques and methods for VV&A that are specific for military/defense M&S. Possible approaches for the development of VV&A are also proposed.
Supported by : Agency for Defense Development
- Adrion, W. R., Branstad, M. A., and Cherniavsky, J. C. (1982), Validation, Verification, and Testing of Computer Software, ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), 14(2), 159-192. https://doi.org/10.1145/356876.356879
- Ahn, J. (2007), Pilot Study: Credibility Assessment of Spacenet 1.3 with NASA-STD-(I)-7009.
- Balci, O. (1994), Validation, Verification, and Testing Techniques Throughout the Life Cycle of a Simulation Study, Annals of Operations Research, 53(1), 121-173. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02136828
- Balci, O. Adams, R. J., Myers, D. S., and Nance, R. E. (2002), A Collaborative Evaluation Environment for Credibility Assessment of Modeling and Simulation Applications, Paper presented at the Simulation Conference.
- Choi, Y. J. (2012), The Study of Process for VV&A on Acquiring the Credibility of M&S, Journal of the Korea Society of Systems Engineering, 5(2).
- Godefroid, P. (2005), Software Model Checking: The Verisoft Approach, Formal Methods, System Design, 26(2), 77-101.
- Godefroid, P. and Khurshid, S. (2002), Exploring Very Large State Spaces Using Genetic Algorithms, Tools and Algorithms for the Construction and Analysis of Systems, 266-280.
- Heiko, A. (2012), Consensus measurement in Delphi studies: review and implications for future quality assurance, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 79(8), 1525-1536. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2012.04.013
- IEEE Standard for Software Verification and Validation (1998), 1012-1998.
- Jang, Y. J., Kim, J. H., Jo, H. J., Hwang, I. H., and Kim, D. Y. (2012), Research Direction Proposal on VV&A of the Defense M&S and the Categorization of VV&A Method Based on Modeling Abstraction, Journal of the Korea Society for Simulation, 2.
- Kilikauskas, M., and David, H. H. (2005), The use of M&S VV&A as a risk mitigation strategy in defense acquisition, The Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation: Applications, Methodology, Technology, 2(4), 209-216. https://doi.org/10.1177/154851290500200404
- Medium Range Surface to Air Missile System Chun-Gung (2012), developed by Agency for Defense Development, Internal White Paper.
- NASA Systems Engineering Handbook and INCOSE Systems Engineering Handbook.
- NASA-STD-7009 (Standard for Models and Simulations) 2008.
- National Computerization Agency, (1990), Verification, Validation and Test Guideline for Software.
- Oberkampf, W. L., Trucano, T. G., and Hirsch, C. (2004), Verification, Validation, and Predictive Capability in Computational Engineering and Physics, Applied Mechanics Reviews, 57(5), 345-384. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1767847
- Tolk, A. (2012), Engineering Principles of Combat Modeling and Distributed Simulation, Wiley.
- Wakeland, W., Shervais, S., and Raffo, D. (2005), Heuristic Optimization as a V&V Tool for Software Process Simulation Models, Software Process: Improvement and Practice, 10(3), 301-309. https://doi.org/10.1002/spip.231