- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Monitoring the Change of Technological Impacts of Technology Sectors Using Patent Information: the Case of Korea
- Yoon, Janghyeok (Department of Industrial Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Mujin (Department of Industrial Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Doyeon (Department of Industrial Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Jonghwa (Department of Industrial Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Park, Hyunseok (Graduate School of Technology and Innovation Management, Pohang University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2014.10.30
- Accepted : 2015.01.12
- Published : 2015.03.30
A primary concern of national R&D plans is to encourage technological development in private firms and research institutes. For effective R&D planning and program support, it is necessary to assess technological impacts that may exist both directly and indirectly among technology areas within the whole technology system; however, previous studies analyze only direct impacts among technologies, failing to capture both direct and indirect impacts. Therefore, this study proposes an approach based on decision-making trial and evaluation laboratory (DEMATEL) to identifying specific characteristics of technology areas, such as technological impact and degree of cause or effect (DCE). The method employs patent co-classification analysis to construct a technological knowledge flow matrix. Next, to capture both direct and indirect effects among technology areas, it incorporates the modified DEMATEL process into patent analysis. The method helps analysts assess the technological impact and DCE of technology areas, and observe their evolving trajectories over time, thereby identifying relevant technological implications. This study presents a case study using Korean patents registered during 2003-2012. We expect our analysis results to be helpful input for R&D planning, as well as the suggested approach to be incorporated into processes for formulating national R&D plans.
- Almus, M. and Czarnitzki, D. (2003), The effects of public R&D subsidies on firms' innovation activities: the case of Eastern Germany, Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, 21(2), 226-236. https://doi.org/10.1198/073500103288618918
- Breschi, S. And Lissoni, F. et al. (2003), Knowledgerelatedness in firm technological diversification, Research Policy, 32(1), 69-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(02)00004-5
- Chen, Y.-H. and Chen, C.-Y. et al. (2011), Technology forecasting and patent strategy of hydrogen energy and fuel cell technologies, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36(12), 6957-6969. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2011.03.063
- Cho, T.-S. and Shih, H.-Y. (2011), Patent citation network analysis of core and emerging technologies in Taiwan: 1997-2008, Scientometrics, 89(3), 795-811. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-011-0457-z
- Choi, S. and Yoon, J. et al. (2011), SAO network analysis of patents for technology trends identification: a case study of polymer electrolyte membrane technology in proton exchange membrane fuel cells, Scientometrics, 88(3), 863-883. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-011-0420-z
- Fontela, E. and Gabus, A. (1976), The DEMATEL observer, Battelle Institute, Geneva Research Center.
- Foray, D. and Mowery, D. et al. (2012), Public R&D and social challenges: What lessons from mission R&D programs? Research Policy.
- Gabus, A. and Fontela, E. (1972), World problems, an invitation to further thought within the framework of DEMATEL, Battelle Geneva Research Center, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Garcia, A. and Mohnen, P. A. (2010), Impact of government support on R&D and innovation, UNU-MERIT, Maastricht Economic and Social Research and Training Centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Han, Y.-J. and Park, Y. (2006), Patent network analysis of inter-industrial knowledge flows: The case of Korea between traditional and emerging industries, World Patent Information, 28(3), 235-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wpi.2006.01.015
- Hanneman, R. A. and Riddle, M. (2001), Social network analysis, Riverside: University of California.
- Haythornthwaite, C. (1996), Social network analysis: An approach and technique for the study of information exchange, Library and Information Science Research, 18(4), 323-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0740-8188(96)90003-1
- Hsu, C.-W. and Kuo, T.-C. et al. (2011), Using DEMATEL to develop a carbon management model of supplier selection in green supply chain management, Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Huang, C. and Su, J. et al. (2011), Government funded renewable energy innovation in China, Energy Policy.
- Inzelt, A. (2004), The evolution of university-industrygovernment relationships during transition, Research Policy, 33(6), 975-995. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2004.03.002
- Jafie, A. B. and Trajtenberg, M. et al. (2000), Knowledge Spillovers and Patent Citations: Evdence from a Survey of Inventors, NBER/Sloan, 21.
- Jeong, S. and Yang, J. et al. (2012), Analysis of technology spillover using patent citation database: application of DEMATEL, Entrue Journal of Information Technology, 11(1), 111-124.
- Kim, E. and Cho, Y. et al. (2013), Dynamic patterns of technological convergence in printed electronics technologies: patent citation network, Scientometrics, 1-24.
- Ko, N. and Yoon, J. et al. (2013), Analyzing interdisciplinarity of technology fusion using knowledge flows of patents, Expert Systems with Applications.
- Lee, H.-J. and Lee, S. et al. (2011), Technology clustering based on evolutionary patterns: The case of information and communications technologies, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 78(6), 953-967. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2011.02.002
- Lee, H. and Kim, C. et al. (2009), An ANP-based technology network for identification of core technologies: A case of telecommunication technologies, Expert Systems with Applications, 36(1), 894-908. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2007.10.026
- Lee, P.-C. and Su, H.-N. et al. (2010), Quantitative mapping of patented technology-The case of electrical conducting polymer nanocomposite, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 77(3), 466-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2009.08.006
- Lee, S. and Yoon, B. et al. (2009), Business planning based on technological capabilities: Patent analysis for technology-driven roadmapping, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 76(6), 769-786. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2009.01.003
- Lee, S. and Yoon, B. et al. (2009), An approach to discovering new technology opportunities: Keyword-based patent map approach, Technovation, 29(6), 481-497. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2008.10.006
- Li, X. and Chen, H. et al. (2007), Patent citation network in nanotechnology (1976-2004), Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 9(3), 337-352. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11051-006-9194-2
- Lim, H. and Park, Y. (2010), Identification of technological knowledge intermediaries, Scientometrics, 84(3), 543-561. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-009-0133-8
- Lin, R.-J. (2011), Using fuzzy DEMATEL to evaluate the green supply chain management practices, Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Mamuneas, T. P. and Ishaq Nadiri, M. (1996), Public R&D policies and cost behavior of the US manufacturing industries, Journal of Public Economics, 63(1), 57-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0047-2727(96)01588-5
- Maurseth, P. B. and Verspagen, B. (2002), Knowledge spillovers in Europe: a patent citations analysis, The Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 104(4), 531-545. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9442.00300
- No, H. J. and Park, Y. (2010), Trajectory patterns of technology fusion: Trend analysis and taxonomical grouping in nanobiotechnology, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 77(1), 63-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2009.06.006
- Nomaler, O. and Verspagen, B. (2008), Knowledge flows, patent citations and the impact of science on technology, Economic Systems Research, 20(4), 339-366. https://doi.org/10.1080/09535310802551315
- Park, H., Kim, K. et al. (2012), A Patent intelligence system for strategic technology planning, Expert Systems with Applications.
- Park, H. and Yoon, J. (2013), Assessing coreness and intermediarity of technology sectors using patent co-classification analysis: the case of Korean national R&D. Scientometrics, 1-38.
- Park, J. and Lee, H. et al. (2009), Disembodied knowledge flows among industrial clusters: A patent analysis of the Korean manufacturing sector, Technology in Society, 31(1), 73-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techsoc.2008.10.011
- Saaty, T. L. (2001), The analytic network process: decision making with dependence and feedback, RWS Publ.
- Saaty, T. L. (2004), Fundamentals of the analytic network process-Dependence and feedback in decision-making with a single network, Journal of Systems Science and Systems Engineering, 13(2), 129-157. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11518-006-0158-y
- Shen, Y.-C. and Lin, G. T. et al. (2011), Combined DEMATEL techniques with novel MCDM for the organic light emitting diode technology selection, Expert Systems with Applications, 38(3), 1468-1481. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2010.07.056
- Shieh, J.-I., Wu, H.-H. et al. (2010), A DEMATEL method in identifying key success factors of hospital service quality, Knowledge-Based Systems, 23(3), 277-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2010.01.013
- Tseng, M.-L. (2009), A causal and effect decision making model of service quality expectation using greyfuzzy DEMATEL approach, Expert Systems with Applications, 36(4), 7738-7748. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2008.09.011
- Verspagen, B. (1997), Measuring intersectoral technology spillovers: estimates from the European and US patent office databases, Economic Systems Research, 9(1), 47-65. https://doi.org/10.1080/09535319700000004
- Wang, T.-Y., Chien, S.-C. et al. (2007), The role of technology development in national competitiveness-Evidence from Southeast Asian countries, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 74(8), 1357-1373. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2007.01.001
- Wu, W.-W. (2008), Choosing knowledge management strategies by using a combined ANP and DEMATEL approach, Expert Systems with Applications, 35(3), 828-835. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2007.07.025
- Yoon, B. and Park, Y. (2004), A text-mining-based patent network: Analytical tool for high-technology trend, The Journal of High Technology Management Research, 15(1), 37-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hitech.2003.09.003
- Yoon, J. and Kim, K. (2011), Identifying rapidly evolving technological trends for R&D planning using SAO-based semantic patent networks, Scientometrics, 88(1), 213-228. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-011-0383-0
- DEMATEL Technique: A Systematic Review of the State-of-the-Art Literature on Methodologies and Applications vol.2018, pp.1563-5147, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3696457
- Innovation Topic Analysis of Technology: The Case of Augmented Reality Patents vol.6, pp.2169-3536, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2807622