- Volume 26 Issue 1
As a way of identifying users' image needs for improved effectiveness of image search, there have been recent research approaches to examine contextual factors in image needs with multiple perspectives. In this line of research, this study examined a total of 70 unsuccessful image searches for the purpose of investigating users' image needs. In order to achieve the purpose of this study, in particular, the characteristics of image needs, contextual factors on image needs, and image queries were investigated. The findings of this study demonstrated that information needs from the failed image searches are categorized primarily into specific and general/nameable categories. More importantly, these information needs are embedded with multiple contextual factors, primarily, task purpose and use purpose. With an analysis of detailed use purposes for image, illustration use was found most in this data set. For query analysis, the type of unique/refined image query was revealed primarily. As the results of this study were found similar to the findings of previous studies, it is possible to characterize the image needs from the failed image searches. In addition, the findings of this study are expected to be useful to the design and service of image retrieval.
Image Retrieval;Image Needs;Image Queries;Context;Contextual Factor
- Batley, S. 1988. "Visual information retrieval: Browsing strategies in pictorial database." Proceedings of 12th International Online Information meeting, 373-381.
- Chang, S. J. L. and Y. Y. Lee. 2001. "Conceptualizing context and its relationship to the information behaviour in dissertation research process." The New Review of Information Behaviour Research, 2(November), 29-46.
- Chen, H. L. 2001. "An analysis of image queries in the field of art history." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 52(3): 260-273. https://doi.org/10.1002/1532-2890(2000)9999:9999<::AID-ASI1606>3.0.CO;2-M
- Choi, Y. 2009. User queries in image searching. Proceedings of the 72nd ASIS&T Annual Meetings.
- Choi, Y. 2010. "Effects of contextual factors on image searching on the Web." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 61(10): 2011-2028. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.21386
- Choi, Y. and E. M. Rasmussen. 2003. "Searching for images: the analysis of users' queries for image retrieval in American history." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 54(6): 498-511. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.10237
- Chung, E. and J. Yoon. 2010. "An exploratory analysis on unsuccessful image searches." Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 47(1): 1-2.
- Chung, E. and J. Yoon. 2011. "Image needs in the context of image use: An exploratory study." Journal of Information Science, 37(2): 163-177. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551511400951
- Conniss, L. R., A. J. Ashford and M. E. Graham. 2000. Information Seeking Behavior in Image Retrieval: Visor I Final Report: Library and Information Commission Research Report 95. Institute for Image Data Research, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Courtright, C. 2007. "Context in information behavior research." Annual review of information science and technology, 41(1): 273-306. https://doi.org/10.1002/aris.2007.1440410113
- Cunningham, S. J., D. Bainbridge and M. Masoodian. 2004. "How people describe their image information needs: a grounded theory analysis of visual arts queries." Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, 47-48.
- Cunningham, S. J. and M. Masoodian. 2006. "Looking for a picture: an analysis of everyday image information searching." Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, 198-199.
- Enser, P. G. B. and C. McGregor. 1992. Analysis of visual information retrieval queries. British Library Research and Development 6104 (British Library, London).
- Fidel, R. 1997. "The image retrieval task: implications for the design and evaluation of image databases." New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia, 3(1): 181-199. https://doi.org/10.1080/13614569708914689
- Goodrum, A. and A. Spink. 2001. "Image searching on the Excite Web search engine." Information Processing & Management, 37: 295-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4573(00)00033-9
- Jansen, B. J. 2008. "Searching for digital images on the web." Journal of Documentation, 64(1): 81-101. https://doi.org/10.1108/00220410810844169
- Johnson, J. D. 2003. "On contexts of information seeking." Information Processing & Management, 39(5): 735-760. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4573(02)00030-4
- Jorgensen, C. 1998. "Attributes of images in describing tasks." Information Processing and Management, 34(2-3): 161-174.
- Kelly, D. 2006a. "Measuring online information seeking context. Part 1. Background and method." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 57(13): 1729-1739. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20483
- Kelly, D. 2006b. "Measuring online information seeking context. Part 2. Findings and discussion." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 57(14): 1862-1874. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20484
- Pu, H-T. 2008. "An analysis of failed queries for web image retrieval." Journal of Information Science, 34(3), 275-289. Information Processing & Management, 42(5): 1379-1391. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551507084140
- Spink, A., B. Jansen, C. Blakely, and S. Koshman. 2006. A study of results overlap and uniqueness among major Web search engines. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ipm.2005.11.001