- Volume 54 Issue 3
In order to establish B. tabaci control in paprika greenhouses a fixed-precision-level sampling plan was developed. The sampling plan consisted of spatial distribution analysis, a sampling stop line, and decision making. Sampling was conducted simultaneously in two independent greenhouses (GH 1, GH 2). GH 1 and 2 were surveyed every week for 22 consecutive weeks, using 19 sampling locations in GH 1 and 9 sampling locations in GH 2. The plant in both greenhouses were divided into top (180-220 cm from the ground), middle (80-120 cm from the ground) and bottom (30-70 cm from the ground) sections and B. tabaci adults and pupae were observed on three paprika leaves at each position and recorded separately. GH 2 data were used to validate the fixed-precision sampling plan, which was developed using GH 1 data. In this study, spatial distribution analysis was performed using Taylor's power law with the pooled data of the top and bottom position (B. tabaci adults), and the middle and bottom positions (B. tabaci pupae), based on a 1-leaf sampling unit. Decision making was undertaken using the maximum of action threshold in accordance with previously published method, and the value was decided by the price of the plants. Using the results obtained in the greenhouse, simulated validation of the developed sampling plan by RVSP (Resampling Validation for Sampling Plan) indicated a reasonable level of precision.
Paprika;Bemisia tabaci;Spatial distribution;Fixed precision level sampling plan stop line;Control decision making
- Binns, M. R., Nyrop, J. P., 1992. Sampling insect population for the purpose of IPM decision making. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 37, 427-453. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.en.37.010192.002235
- Byrne, D. N., 1999. Migration and dispersal by the sweet potato whitefly, Bemisia tabaci. Agri. Forest Meterol. 97, 309-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1923(99)00074-X
- Jung, E. M., Kim, W. T., Kim, S. L., Yoon, S. H., 2008. Trend and challenge of paprika industry. C2008-22. Korea Rural Economic Institute. (in Korean).
- Green, R. H., 1970. On fixed precision level sequential sampling. Res. Popul. Ecol. 12, 249-251. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02511568
- Iwao, S., 1975. A new method of sequential sampling to classify populations relative to a critical density. Res. Popul. Ecol. 16, 281-288. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02511067
- Jones, D., 2003. Plant viruses transmitted by whiteflies. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 109, 197-221.
- Kim, J. K., 2009. The population dynamics and management strategies of sweetpotato White fly, Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae). M. D. Dissertation, Gyengsang National University, Jinju, Korea. (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kim, H. S., 2014. A Study on the Improvement of Management Activities in Paprika Industry. M. D. Dissertation, Gyengsang National University, Jinju, Korea. (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, M. H., Kang, S. Y., Lee, S. Y., Lee, H. S., Choi, J. Y., Lee, G. S., Kim, W. Y., Lee, S. W., Kim, S. G., Uhm, K. B., 2005. Occurrence of the B- and Q-biotypes of Bemisia tabaci in Korea. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 44, 169-175. (in Korean with English abstract).
- Naranjo, S. E., Flint, H. M., 1994. Spatial distribution of Preimaginal Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) in Cotton and development of fixed-precision sequential sampling plans. Environ. Entomol. 23, 254-266. https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/23.2.254
- Naranjo, S. E., Flint, H. M., 1995. Spatial distribution of adult Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) in cotton and development and validation of fixed-precision sequential sampling plans for estimation population density. Environ. Entomol. 24, 261-270. https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/24.2.261
- Naranjo, S. E., Hutchision, W. D., 1997. Quantitative methods for designing and analyzing sampling programs for use in pest management. D. Pimentel (ed), Handbook of Pest Management in Agriculture, Vol. 2, CRC Press, pp. 67-132.
- Park, J.- J., Park, H., Kim, Y. H., Cho. J., 1999. Sampling plans for estimation and classifying population density of two spotted mite (Acari: Tetranychidae) on the greenhouse rose cultured with arching method. Kor. J. Entomol. 29, 127-134. (in Korean with English abstract).
- Park, H. H., Kim, K. H., Park, C. G., Choi, B. R., Kim, J. J., Lee, S. W., Lee, S. G., 2009. Damege analysis and Control threshold of Frankliniella occidentalis Pergande (Thysanoptera: Tripidae) on Greenhouse Eggplant and Sweet pepper. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 48, 229-236. (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2009.48.2.229
- Park, S. H., Lee, J. H., Woo, J. H., Choi, S. Y., Park, S. D., Park, H. H., 2014. Economic Injury Level of Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) (Homoptera: Aleyrodidate) on Oriental Melon (Cucumis melo L.) in Greenhouse. Korean J. Pestic. 18, 196-201. (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2014.18.3.196
- Pedigo, L. P., 1989. Entomology and Pest Management. Macmillian Publish, NY.
- Pedigo, L. P., 1994. Introduction to sampling arthropod populations. In: Pedigo, L. P. and G. D. Buntin (ed), Handbook of Sampling Methods for Arthropods in Agriculture. CRC press. FL., 1-11.
- Ruesink, W.G., 1980. Introduction to sampling theory. In: M.Kogan and D.C. Herzog (ed), Sampling Methods in Soybean Entomology. Springer, NY, pp. 61-78.
- SAS Institute, 1995. SAS user's guide. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- Southwood, T. R. E., 1978. Ecological methods. 2nd ed. Chapman and Hall, London.
- Taylor, L. R., 1961. Agrgregation, variance and the mean. Nauture. 189, 732-735. https://doi.org/10.1038/189732a0
- Wise, I. L., Lamb, R. J., 1995. Spatial distribution and sequential sampling methods for the potato aphid, Macrosiphum euphorbiae (Thomas) (Homoptera: Aphididae), in oilseed flax. Can. Entomol. 127, 967-976. https://doi.org/10.4039/Ent127967-6
- Kuno, E., 1969. A new method of sequential sampling to obtain the population estimates with a fixed level of precision. Res. Popul. Ecol. 11, 127-136. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02936264
- Sokal, R. R., Rohlf, F. J., 1981. Biometry, 2nd ed. W. H. Freeman and Company. NY.
- Development of a Binomial Sampling Plan for Bemisia tabaci in Paprika Greenhouses 2016, https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2016.10.0.049
Supported by : 농촌진흥청