- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Social Quality on Suicide Ideation of Korean Elderly
사회적 질이 노인의 자살생각에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Mee-Ae (Hansei University, Div. of Humanities & Community)
- 이미애 (한세대학교 인문사회학부)
- Received : 2014.12.01
- Accepted : 2015.03.20
- Published : 2015.03.28
Using data from 2011 Elderly Living Condition Survey database, this study analyzed risk factors for suicide ideation of Korean elderly persons. The analysis sample consists of 10,003 cases. The main purpose of this research was to explore the effects of social quality factor on suicide ideation of Korean elderly persons. Analysis results show that gender, age, area of residence, living alone, subjective standard of living, activities of daily living(ADLs), and geriatric depression are significant predictors of suicide ideation. Key findings are that social quality factor such as experiencing feeling hurt from others' words and actions like avoiding conversations, disregarding one's opinions, pretending to be not heard, getting irritated, grumbling, etc. has the largest effects on suicide ideation. Analysis results imply that without improving social quality, it would not be possible to lower elderly suicide rate.
suicide ideation;social quality;social network;social kindness;interdisciplinary
Supported by : 한세대학교
- Ho-Sung Lee, A study on Social Solidarity and Life Satisfaction in the Urban Elderly, Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 123-38, 2005
- National statistical office, Statistics of the aged, 2013
- National statistical office. Statistics of population, 2006, 2011
- Su-Jie Chang, Structural and Functional Aspects of Social Network in Old Age, and the Subjective Quality of Life: Focusing on the Comparison according to Age and Gender, Social Science Research, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 75-100, 2010.
- Ki-Tae Kim, Song-Sik Choi, Mi-Jin Park, Su-Hee KO, Hyun-Suk Park, The Effect of Negative Life Stress and Loneliness on Suicidal Ideation of the Elderly: With Special Reference to Moderating Effect of Spirituality, Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research, Vol. 34, pp. 161-185, 2013.
- Mee-Ae Lee, Seo-Ryeong Park, Hyun -Kyung Park, Returning to the Paradigm for Elderly Care Policy through a Discourse on the Good Society: From Justice to Respect for the Elderly, Association for Korean Public Administration History, Vol. 33, pp. 241-256, 2013
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, National Long-Term Care Survey, 2011.
- Jin-Hee Seomun, Hyun-A Lee, A Study on Influence of Subjective Health Recognition and Social Support on the Elderly Suicide Ideation: Using Parameter Effect of Depression, Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 54, pp. 361-385, 2011.
- Hyun-kyung Kim, Sung-Hee Ko, Seung -Hee Chung, Suicidal Ideation and Risk Factors among the Elderly in Korea, Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 82-92, 2010.
- Jin-Hee Bae, Focusing on the Function of Support by Their Children and Neighbors = Social Support and Life Satisfaction of the Rural Elderly , Social Welfare Policy, Vol. 20, pp. 197-216, 2004.
- Schulz et al.(2002). Depression as a risk factor for non-suicide mortality in the elderly. Biol Psychiatry, 52(3), 205-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3223(02)01423-3
- Waerna et al., (2003). Predictors of suicide in the old elderly. Gerontology, 49(5), 328-334. https://doi.org/10.1159/000071715
- Dong-Bae Kim, Seo-Young Park, Characteristics of Social network and Suicidal ideation: Verifying of mediation effect of depression , Korean Journal of Welfare Research, Vol. 24, 109-129, 2010.
- Jae-San Park, Jung-Chan Lee, Gwi -Hyun Kim, Jae-Woo Moon, A Study on the Relating Factors Affecting the Suicide Instinct of the Elderly Aged 65 or Older , Health and Social Science, Vol. 26, pp. 115-136, 2009.
- Joan Yoo, The Effect of Supportive and Negative Interactions upon Low-income Single-Mother's psychological Distress, M. A. dissertation, Seoul National University, 2000.
- Gyoung-Hae Han, Joo-Hyun Kim, Kyung-Min Kim, Does It Vary by Gender? = Supportive and Conflictual Social Networks and Mental Health of the Middle-aged in Korea, Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 155-170, 2003.
- Hamrick, W.(2002). Kindness and the Good Society: Connection of the Heart, New York, NY: SUNY Press.
- Johnson G.A.(2004). Kindness, Justice, and the Good Society, Journal of the British Society for Phenomenology, 35(3), pp. 313-317. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071773.2004.11007450
- Lin, K, Ward, P, van der Maesen LJG(2009) Social quality theory in perspective. Development and Society, 38(2), 201-208.
- Walker, A(2009) The social quality approach: Bridging Asia and Europe. Development and Society, 38(2), 209-235.
- Ward, P, Meyer, S(2009) Trust, social quality and wellbeing: A sociological exegesis. Development and Society, 38(2), 339-363.
- Meyer,SB, Luong, TCN, Ward, PR, Tsourtos, G(2010) Operationalising the theory of social quality: Analysis of the reliability of an instrument to measure social quality. Development and Society, 39(2), 329-358.
- Lee, EJ(2012) Social cues, E-social ambience, and emotions in web-based fashion retailing: A case of U.S. shoppers. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 36(12), 1318-1329. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.12.1318
- Yuan, H, Golpelwar, MK(2012) Is social quality related to subjective well-being in Shanghai? An analysis of economic and social structural factors. Development and Society, 41(1), 31-53.
- Lee Dong-Jin, Yu Grace B.(2011) Developing a Subjective Measure of the Quality of City Life (QCL): The Case of Seoul, Korean Marketing Journal, Vol 13, No 1, 1-26.