- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Idea of Materiality of New Media Art through Rethinking Kinetic Art
키네틱아트의 재조명을 통한 뉴미디어아트의 물질성에 대한 고찰
- Song, Min Jeong (KyungHee University, Graduate School of Art& Fusion Design)
- 송민정 (경희대학교 아트퓨젼디자인대학원)
- Received : 2015.01.10
- Accepted : 2015.03.20
- Published : 2015.03.28
The development of technology has always been influencing the worldview of the time, and this has been embodied through artistic media and contents throughout history. This paper begins with an overview on how the notion of movement in art has developed with the juxtaposition of materiality and immateriality or the conversion between the two by rethinking Kinetic Art which was popularized in the mid-twentieth century in America and Europe. Then, this is compared with New Media Art which employs advanced digital media techniques to generate virtual images. New Media Art requires some kinds of physical mechanisms and space for the embodiment of virtual images to some extent. The coexistence of material and immaterial aspects of New Media art is investigated through the contextualization with certain aspects of Kinetic Art.
Digital Media Convergence;Materiality&Immateriality;Kinetic Art;Op Art;Media Art;Interactivity
- Jay David Bolter & Diane Gromela(translated by Lee Jae-Joon), Windows and Mirrors(Vibration_Oscillation: Digital Art, Interactive Design), Misool-Moonhwa, 2003(2008).
- Christina Chau, Kinetic Systems: Jack Burnham and Hans Haack, Contemporaneity: Historical Presence in Visual Culture, Vol.3, No.1, 2014.
- Ian Chilvers & John Glaves-Smith, Oxford A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art, OUP Oxford, 2009
- George Rickey(translated by Yoon Nan-Ji), Kinetic Art, YeolHwaDang, 1965(1988).
- Pamela.M. Lee, Bridget Riley's Eye/Body Problem October, Vol. 98 Autumn, 2001, pp. 26-46, 2001.
- Nikos Stangos(ed.)(Translated by Sung Wan-Kyong and Kim An-Rye, Concepts of Modern Art, MoonYe Publications, 1994.
- Frank Popper, Kinetic art : Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, In: Four Essays on Kinetic Art, Motion Books, 1966.
- E.Lucie Smith(Translated by Misool Segye), Op Art and Kinetic Art, Misool Segye, pp.167-175, 1985.
- Laszlo Mology-Nagy, Vision in Motion, Paul Theobald, 1964.
- Hee-Jung Suh, The Formation of Concept about the creation with light on Moholy-Nagy, The Korean Society of Aesthetics and Science of Art 20, pp.199-221, 2004.
- Simon Rycroft, Art and micro-cosmos: kinetic art and mid-20th century cosmology, Cultural Geographies, 19(4), pp.447-467, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/1474474012447538
- Florence de Meredieu(Translated by Chong Jae-Gon), Arts et Nouvelles Technologies, YeolHwaDang, 2005.
- Guy Brett, Teresa Grandas & Mark Nash, Force Fields: Phase of the Kinetic, Hayward Gallery, 1999
- Christiane Paul (Translated by Cho Choong Yeon), Digital Art, Si-Gong Art, 2003(2007)
- Ha Im-Sung & Song, Dae-Sup, Study upon the Phantasm of Interactive Media Art and Position Media, Bulletin of Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, Vol. 13, No.5, pp.591-599, 2012.