- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Optimized Bankruptcy Prediction through Combining SVM with Fuzzy Theory
퍼지이론과 SVM 결합을 통한 기업부도예측 최적화
- Choi, So-Yun (Graduate School of Business IT, Kookmin University) ;
- Ahn, Hyun-Chul (Graduate School of Business IT, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2015.01.18
- Accepted : 2015.03.20
- Published : 2015.03.28
Bankruptcy prediction has been one of the important research topics in finance since 1960s. In Korea, it has gotten attention from researchers since IMF crisis in 1998. This study aims at proposing a novel model for better bankruptcy prediction by converging three techniques - support vector machine(SVM), fuzzy theory, and genetic algorithm(GA). Our convergence model is basically based on SVM, a classification algorithm enables to predict accurately and to avoid overfitting. It also incorporates fuzzy theory to extend the dimensions of the input variables, and GA to optimize the controlling parameters and feature subset selection. To validate the usefulness of the proposed model, we applied it to H Bank's non-external auditing companies' data. We also experimented six comparative models to validate the superiority of the proposed model. As a result, our model was found to show the best prediction accuracy among the models. Our study is expected to contribute to the relevant literature and practitioners on bankruptcy prediction.
Bankruptcy prediction;Support vector machine;Fuzzy theory;Genetic algorithm;Convergence model
- J. L. Bellovary, D. E., Giacomino, & M. D. Akers, A review of bankruptcy prediction studies: 1930 to present. Journal of Financial Education, pp. 1-42, 2007.
- S. Kim, C. S. Park, & S. M. Jeon, Default Decisions of FIs and Endogeneity Problems in Default Prediction. Journal of Business Research, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 99-132, 2011.
- J. M. Park, Bankruptcy Prediction using Support Vector Machine. Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Master's Thesis, 2003.
- W. H. Beaver, Financial ratios as predictors of failure. Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 4, pp. 71-111, 1966. https://doi.org/10.2307/2490171
- E. I. Altman, Financial ratios, discriminant analysis and the prediction of corporate bankruptcy. The journal of finance, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 589-609, 1968. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1968.tb00843.x
- J. A. Ohlson, Financial ratios and the probabilistic prediction of bankruptcy. Journal of accounting research, pp. 109-131, 1980.
- M. E. Zmijewski, Methodological issues related to the estimation of financial distress predictionmodels. Journal of Accounting Research, pp. 59-82, 1984.
- R. O. Edmister, An empirical test of financial ratio analysis for small business failure prediction. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 1477-1493, 1972. https://doi.org/10.2307/2329929
- M. D. Odom, & R. Sharda, A neural network model for bankruptcy prediction. In proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural networks, Vol. 2, pp. 163-168, 1990.
- K. Y. Tam, & M. Y. Kiang, Managerial applications of neural networks: the case of bank failure predictions. Management science, Vol. 38, No. 7, pp. 926-947, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.38.7.926
- K. C. Lee, A Comparative Study on the Bankruptcy Prediction Power of Statistical Model and AI Models: MDA, Inductive Learning, Neural Network. Journal of The Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society , Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 57-81, 1993.
- K. Y. Kim, G. R. Lee, & S. W. Lee, A Comparative Analysis of Artificial Intelligence System and Ohlson model for IPO firm's Stock Price Evaluation. Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 145-158, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.145
- K. K. Seo, Development of a Sales Prediction Model of Electronic Appliances using Artificial Neural Networks. Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 11, pp. 209-214, 2014.
- C. Serrano-Cinca, Self organizing neural networks for financial diagnosis. Decision Support Systems, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 227-238, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-9236(95)00033-X
- J. Yang, & V. Honavar, Feature subset selection using a genetic algorithm. Computer Science Technical Reports, Paper 156, 1997.
- K. S. Shin, & Y. J. Lee, A genetic algorithm application in bankruptcy prediction modeling. Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 321-328, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0957-4174(02)00051-9
- K. S. Shin, T. S. Lee, & H. J. Kim, An application of support vector machines in bankruptcy prediction model. Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 127-135, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2004.08.009
- H. Ahn, & K. J. Kim, Bankruptcy prediction modeling with hybrid case-based reasoning and genetic algorithms approach. Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 599-607, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2008.08.002
- L. A. Zadeh, Fuzzy sets. Information and Control, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 338-353, 1965. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-9958(65)90241-X
- S. H. Lee, K. I. Moon, & S. J. Lee, Application of Fuzzy Logic in Scenario Based Language Learning. Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 221-228, 2013.
- L. A. Zadeh, Fuzzy sets as a basis for a theory of possibility. Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol. 1, pp. 3-28, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0114(78)90029-5
- M. Kim, The Application of Knowledge Integration Using Fuzzy Logic and Genetic Algorithms to Financial Market. Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Doctoral Thesis, 2004.
- S. K. Pal, & P. K. Pramanik, Fuzzy measures in determining seed points in clustering. Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 159-164, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8655(86)90014-0
- V. Vapnik, Statistical learning theory. Wiley, New York, 1998.
- M. A. Hearst, S. T. Dumais, E. Osman, J. Platt, & B. Scholkopf, Support vector machines. IEEE Intelligent Systems and Their Applications, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 18-28, 1998.
- H. Ahn, K. J. Kim, & I. Han, Purchase Prediction Model using the Support Vector Machine. Journal of Intelligence and Information Systems, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 69-81, 2005.
- S. W. Kim, & H. Ahn, Development of an Intelligent Trading System Using Support Vector Machines and Genetic Algorithms. Journal of Intelligence and Information Systems, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 71-92, 2010.
- H. Ahn, & K. J. Kim, Corporate Bond Rating Using Various Multiclass Support Vector Machines. Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 157-178, 2009.
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc. Boston, MA, USA, 1989.
- Y. Cha, G. Lee, J. Lee, D. Y. Wie, Optimization of the Distribution Plan and Multi-product Capacity using Genetic Algorithm. Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 125-134, 2014.
- F. E. Tay, & L. Cao, Application of support vector machines in financial time series forecasting. Omega, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 309-317, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0483(01)00026-3
- C. C. Chang, & C. J. Lin, LIBSVM: a library for support vector machines. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 27:1-27:27, 2011. Software available at http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/-cjlin/libsvm.
- C. H. Jeon, Data Mining Techniques. Hannarae Publishing Co., Seoul, 2012.
- Classification of Epileptic Seizure Signals Using Wavelet Transform and Hilbert Transform vol.14, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.277
- An Automatic Signature Verification Algorithm for Smart Devices vol.20, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2015.20.10.015
- A Hybrid Under-sampling Approach for Better Bankruptcy Prediction vol.21, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13088/jiis.2015.21.2.173