- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Research on Individual Differences of Technostress: In Convergence Age
융복합 시대에서 테크노 스트레스의 개인별 차이에 대한 연구
- Yim, Myung-Seong (Dept. of Business Administration, Sahmyook University) ;
- Park, Min-Soo (Dept. of Chinese, Sahmyook University)
- Received : 2015.01.05
- Accepted : 2015.03.02
- Published : 2015.03.28
Technostress- a term coined by Craig Brod- refers to a modern disease of adaptation caused by an inability to cope with new technologies. Stress is a person's adaptive response to a stimulus that places excessive psychological or physical demands on that person. In a similar vein, technostress can affect a variety of side effect such as low work productivity and resistance against new technology. The purpose of this study is thus to investigate of differences of technostressors using demographic informations such as gender, age, computer use skill, and industrial types. To do this, we conducted independence t-test and analysis of variance. We found that demographic characteristics can affect the differences of technostressors. Conclusions and implications are discussed in the last section of this paper.
technostress;technological stress;stress;individual difference;industrial difference;convergence age
- Arnetz, B. B., Wiholm, C., Technological Stress: Psychophysiological Symptoms in Modern Offices. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 35-42, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(97)00083-4
- Ayyagari, R., Grover, V., and Purvis, R., Technostress: Technological Antecedents and Implcations. MIS Quarterly, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 831-838, 2011.
- Bagozzi, R. P., Yi. Y. and Phillips, L. W., Assessing Construct Validity in Organizational Research. Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 421-458, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393203
- Bichteler, J., Technostress in Libraries: Causes, Effects and Solutions. electronic Library, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 282-287, 1987.
- Brillhart, P. E., Technostress in the Workplace Managing Stress in the Electronic Workplace. Journal of American Academy of Business, pp. 302-307, 2004.
- Brod, C., Managing Technostress: Optimizing the Use of Computer Technology. Personnel Journal, Vol. 61, No. 10, pp. 753-757, 1982.
- Brod, C., Technostress: The Human cost of the Computer Revolution. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1984.
- Caro, D. H. J., and Sethi, A. S., Strategic Management of Technostress: The Chaining of Prometheus. Journal of Medical Systems, Vol. 9, No. 5/6, pp. 291-304, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00992568
- Champion, S., Technostress: Technology's Toll. School Library Journal, pp. 48-51, 1988.
- Conway, J. M., and Huffcutt, A. I., A Review and Evaluation of Exploratory Factor Analysis Practices in Organizational Research. Organizational Research Methods, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 147-168, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094428103251541
- Ennis, L. A., The Evolution of Technostress. Computers in Libraries, Vol. 25, No. 8, pp. 10-12, 2005.
- Fisher, W., and Wesolkowski, S., Tempering Technostress. IEEE Technology and Society Magazine, pp. 28-33, 1999.
- Hair, Jr., J. F., Black, W. C., Babain, B. J., Anderson, R. E., and Tatham, R. L., Multivariate Data Analysis, 6th eds. Pearson Education International, 2006.
- Hair, Jr., J. F., Bush, R. P., and Ortinau, D. J., Marketing Research: Within a Changing Information Environment, 2nd eds. Richard Irwin, McGraw-Hill, pp. 568, 2003.
- Hayton, J. C., Allen, D. G., and Scarpello, V., Factor Retention Decisions in Exploratory Factor Analysis: A Tutorial on Parallel Analysis. Organizational Research Methods, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 191-205, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094428104263675
- Kahn, J. H., Factor Analysis in Counseling Psychology Research, Training, and Practice: Principles, Advances, and Applications. Counseling Psychologist, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 684-718, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000006286347
- Lee, H. S., and Lim, J. H., Statistical Package for the Social Science. Bobmunsa, 2009.
- Ragu-Nathan, T. S., Tarafdar, M., and Ragu-Nathan, B. S., The Consequences of Technotress for End Users in Organizations: Conceptual Development and Empirical Validation. Information Systems Research, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 417-433, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1070.0165
- Robinson, J. P., Shaver, P. R., and Wrightsman, L. S., Measures of Personality and Social Psychological Attitues. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 1991.
- Sankar, Y., and Natale, S. M., Technological Change, Technostress, and Industrial Humanism. International Journal of Value Based Management, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 91-103, 1990 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01560527
- Shu, Q., Tu, Q., and Wang, K., The Impact of Computer Self-Efficacy and Technology Dependence on Computer-Related Technostress: A Social Cognitive Theory Perspective. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 923-939, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/10447318.2011.555313
- Snook, S. C., and Gorsuch, R. L., Component Analysis versus Common Factor Analysis: A Monte Carlo Study. Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 106, No. 1, pp. 148-154, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.106.1.148
- Tarafdar, M., Tu, Q., Ragu-Nathan, B. S., and Ragu-Nathan, T. S., The Impact of Technostress on Role Stress and Productivity. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 301-328, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222240109
- Tarafdar, M., Tu, Q., Ragu-Nathan, T. S., and Ragu-Nathan, B. S., Crossing to the Dark Side: Examining Creators, Outcomes, and Inhibitors of Technostress. Communications of the ACM, Vol. 54, No. 9, pp. 113-120, 2011.
- Tarafdar, M., Tu, Q., and Ragu-Nathan, T. S., Impact of Technostress on End-User Satisfaction and Performance. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 303-334, 2010-11. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222270311
- Tinsley, H. E. A., and Tinsley D. J., Uses of Factor Analysis in Counseling Psychology Research. Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 34, No. 4 pp. 414-424, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-022.214.171.1244
- Tu, Q., Wang, K., and Shu, Q., Computer-Related Technostress in China. Communications of the ACM, Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 77-81, 2005.
- Wang, K., Shu, Q., and Tu, Q., Technostress under Different Organizational Environments: An Empirical Investigation. Computer in Human Behavior, Vol. 24, pp. 3002-3013, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.05.007
- Yan, Z., Guo, X., Lee, M. K. O., and Vogel, D. R., A Conceptual Model of Technology Features and Technostress in Telemedicine Communication. Information Technology & People, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 283-297, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1108/ITP-04-2013-0071