- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Samsung - Apple Patent War Case Analysis: Focus on the Strategy to Deal with Patent Litigation
삼성과 애플 특허 분쟁 사례 분석: 분쟁 대응방안을 중심으로
- Kim, Sol Yi (Dept. of MIS, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Park, Seong Taek (KASOM) ;
- Kim, Young Ki (Dept. of MIS, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2014.12.25
- Accepted : 2015.03.20
- Published : 2015.03.28
In case that they do not have counterstrategies ready for patent disputes in advance, they would not be able to survive competitions or would fall behind in the market. Most of domestic companies are not equipped with appropriate counterstrategies, and there are only few studies on the countermeasures for patent disputes. Thus, this study examined counterstrategies for patent disputes drawn from cases of smartphone patent disputes and preceding researches, and conducted interviews and surveys with patent experts and company executives to grasp their opinions about the effectiveness of countermeasures for patent disputes related to the smartphone field. As for analysis tool, the Delphi method is selected that is usually used for analyzing relatively a small number of expert opinions. As a result of interviewing patent experts, effective countermeasures turned out to be cross licensing, counter-suit, and patent invalidation suit, in order, and as a result of surveys with company executives, they turned out to be patent invalidation suit, counter-suit, cross licensing, suit through solidarity, and loyalty agreement, in order. It is anticipated that the study results could be used for smartphone manufacturing companies and ICT companies to establish counterstrategies for patent disputes.
Patent War;Smartphone;Samsung;Apple;Case Analysis
Supported by : 충북대학교
- KIPO, Intellectual Property White Paper, 2012.
- Ernst, H, Patent Information for Strategic Technology Management, in: World Patent Information, 25(3), pp. 233-242, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0172-2190(03)00077-2
- Bae Sunf Ju, Draw the Patent seems to map a Strategy. DBR 135, ISSUE 2, pp. 91-97, 2013.
- Choi Ji Sun, Strategic Implication of an Injunctive Relief in Global IP Lawsuits: based on the Samsung vs. Apple litigation in the US, Journal of Technology Innovation, 21(2), pp. 319-354, 2013.
- Fred Warshorfsky, The Battle to Own the World's Technology, Wiley, 1994
- S.T. Park, S,J. Lee, Y.K. Kim, Patent Dispute Management Strategy of the Enterprise through Case, KITA Conference, 2006.
- Kim Dong Wook, Patent Disputes Trends and Causes and Countermeasures, Intellectual Property 21, KIPO, 96, pp. 208-266, 2006.
- KIPO, http://www.kipo.go.kr
- Lanjouw, Jean O. and Mark Schankerman, Characteristics of Patent Litigation: A Window on Competition, RAND Journal of Economics, 32(1), 129-151, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/2696401
- Lerner, Josh, Patenting in the Shadow of Competitors, Journal of Law and Economics, 38(2), pp. 463-95, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1086/467339
- Song Sang Young, Kim Sa Hyuk, The New Competition Pattern and Response Strategies of Mobile Platforms, KISDI, 2013.
- Kim Yu Jin, Firms Evolution in Managing Intellectual Property after Patent Infringement lawsuits, Seoul National University, 2010.
- Chae, Kyung Mi, A Study on the Characteristics of Patent Affecting Patent Dispute: Focused on the Electrical Field, SKKU, 2013.
- Ryu, Chang-Han, Prevention and Resolution Strategies on Patent Dispute Against NPEs : Focusing on Automotive Industry, Hanyang University, 2013.
- Jeon, Keun Jeong, Survey Analysis on SAMSUNG vs. APPLE Patent Litigation: Focused on Samsung's Galaxy and Apple's iPhone patent litigation, Hongik University, 2013.
- S.T. Park, S,J. Lee, S.Y, Kim, Y.K. Kim, A Study on Corporate Strategy at the time of Patent Disputes, The Korea Society of Digital Policy & Management 2013 Conference
- Kim, Jeong Joong, A Strategy Patent Dispute, special report 02, DBR, pp. 70-75, 2013.
- Schmidt, R. C., Lyytinen, K., Keil, M. & Cule, P, Identifying Software Project Risk: an International Delphi Study, Journal of Management Information Systems, 17(4), pp. 5-36, 2001.
- Y.K, Kim, S.T, Park, S.J, Lee, Selection of important factors for Patent Valuation using Delphi Method, Entrue Journal of Information Technology, 9(1), pp. 7-17, 2010.