- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effect of Job Satisfaction between Organizational Members' Turnover Intention and the Leadership Type of Middle Managers in Agricultural Cooperatives
농협 조직구성원의 이직 의도와 중간관리자의 리더십 유형 관계에서 직무만족도의 매개효과
- Jeon, Young-Gil (Dept. of Business Administration, Hankyong National University)
- 전영길 (국립한경대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2014.11.13
- Accepted : 2015.03.20
- Published : 2015.03.28
There are the leadership is the main factor for managing effective organization as the size of organization becomes large and its functions are a complex and rapidly changing environment. Therefore it needs to suggest the desirable direction for managing organization by the effect of middle manager's leadership on organization's effectiveness. The aim of the present study is to investigate the proper leadership type of middle manager through the mediating effect of job satisfaction between turnover intention and leadership type recognized of organizational members. It suggested the guidelines for the proper leaderships type and the efficient management for employees through the findings. To test hypotheses, the leadership types are classified and the data of this study has collected to evaluate middle managers from the actual employees of agricultural cooperatives in Nonghyup. Through the findings of this study, it is expected the organizational convergence and provides guidelines in managing the agriculture organization to suggest implications and future research directions.
transformational leadership;transactional leadership;turnover intention;job satisfaction;agricultural cooperatives;organizational convergence
- B. M. Bass, Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press. 1985.
- B. M. Bass.B. J. Avolio. Improving leadership effectiveness through transformational leadership. New York: Sage. 1994.
- B. M. Bass.B. J. Avolio, The implications of transactional and transformational leadership for individual, team, and organizational development. Research in Organizational Change and Development, Vol. 4, pp. 231-272, 1990.
- B. M. Bass, B. J. Avolio, D. I. Jung,.Y. Berson, Predicting unit performance by assessing transformational and transactional leadership. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 88, No. 2, pp. 207-218, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.2.207
- D. N. Den Hartog, J. J. Van Muijen.P. L. Koopman, Transactional versus transformational leadership: an analysis of the MLQ. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 70, pp. 19-34, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1997.tb00628.x
- K. E. Emul.O. J. Umeh, How leadership practices impact job satisfaction of customer relationship officers': an empirical study. Journal of Management Policies and Practices, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 19-56, 2014.
- B. M. Bass, B. J. Avolio,.D. I. Jung, MLQ multifactor leadership questionnaire (technical report). Redwood City, CA: Center for Leadership Studies, Binghamton University, Distributed by Mind Garden. 1995.
- J. L. Price.C. W. Mueller, A causal model of turnover for nurses. Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 543-565, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/255574
- E. A. Locke, The nature and causes of job satisfaction. In M.D. Dunnette(Ed.), Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology (pp. 1297-1349). Chicago: Rand McNally, 1976.
- B. Schneider.R. A. Snyder, Some relationship between job satisfaction and organizational climate. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 318-328, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0076756
- C. M. Hellman, Job satisfaction and intent to leave. Journal of Social Psychology, Vol. 137, pp. 677-689, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224549709595491
- C. Ostroff, The relationship between satisfaction, attitudes, and performance: an organizational level analysis, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 77, pp. 963-974, 1992 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.77.6.963
- M. A. Huselid, The impact of human resource management practices on turnover, productivity, and corporate financial performance, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 38, No.3, pp. 635-872, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/256741
- L. W. Porter.R. M. Steers, Organizational, work, and personal factors in employee turnover and absenteeism. Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 80, pp. 151 -176, 1973, https://doi.org/10.1037/h0034829
- L. W. Porter, R. M. Steers, R. T. Mowday,.P. V. Boulian, Organizational commitment job satisfaction and turnover among psychiatric technicians Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 59, No. 5, pp. 603-609, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0037335
- M. R. W. Hamstra, N. W. Van Yperen, B. Wisse,. K. Sassenberg, Transformational and transactional leadership styles and followers' regulatory focus fit reduces followers' turnover intentions. Journal of Personnel Psychology, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 182-186, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1027/1866-5888/a000043
- R. P. Steel.N. K. Ovalle, A review and meta-analysis of research on the relationship between behavioral intentions and employee turnover. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 69, pp. 673-686, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.69.4.673
- H. Angle.J. Perry, An empirical assessment of organizational commitment and organizational effectiveness. Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 26, pp. 1-14, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392596
- S. J. Jaros, An assessment of Meyer and Allen's(1991) three component model of organizational commitment and turnover intentions. Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 51, pp. 319-337, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1995.1553
- J., R. Hair, R. T. Anderson,.W. Black, Multivariate Data Analysis. NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall, Inc., 2006.
- B. J. Avolio, B. M. Bass,.D. I. Jung, Re-examining the components of transformational and transactional leadership using the multifactor leadership questionnaire. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 72, pp. 441-462, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317999166789
- S. H. Lee.K. H. Song, An analysis on the job attitude of the national agricultural cooperative federation's employees. The Korean Journal of Cooperrative Studies, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 131-150, 2011.
- N. Sahaya, A learning organization as a mediator of leadership style and firms' financial performance. International Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 7, No. 14, pp. 96-113, 2012.
- E. Y. Ryu, Moderating effect of collectivism between leadership and innovative behavior using PLS(Partial Least Squares), Korean Public Personnel Administration Review, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 233-264, 2014.
- P. W. Dorfman, International and cross-cultural leadership research. In B. J. Punnett, & O. Shenkar(Eds.), Handbook for international management research (2nd ed.). Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan, 2003.
- K. M. Park, The impact of organizational culture on organizational effectiveness in agricultural cooperatives: job satisfaction, organizational commitment and job performance. The Korean Journal of Cooperative Studies, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 1-2, 2012.
- P. W. Dorfman, J. P. Howell, S. Hibino, J. K. Lee, U. Tate.A. Bautista, Leadership in western and asian countries: commonalities and difference in effective leadership processes across cultures. The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 233-274, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(97)90003-5
- M. W Dickson, D. N. Den Hartog,.J. K. Mitchelson, Research on leadership in a cross- cultural context: making progress, and raising new questions. The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 14, pp. 729-768, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2003.09.002