- Volume 57 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Water Footprint for Livestock Products in Korea
한국의 축산물 물발자국 산정
- Lee, Sang-Hyun (Research Institute for Agriculture & Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Choi, Jin-Yong (Department of Rural Systems Engineering, and Research Institute for Agriculture & Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Yoo, Seung-Hwan (Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University) ;
- Kim, Young Deuk (Rural Research Institute, Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Shin, Ankook (Rural Research Institute, Korea Rural Community Corporation)
- Received : 2015.01.05
- Accepted : 2015.03.10
- Published : 2015.03.31
Since the consumption of the livestock products increased for the past 10 years in Korea, the water use for live animals has become more important in terms of water savings. Therefore, the index connecting water use and livestock products consumption should be required for sustainable water management, and water footprint concept could be suggested as the index. The aim of this study is to estimate the water footprint for livestock products; beef cattle, swine, and broiler chicken. The water footprint for livestock products is divided into direct and indirect water. The direct water includes the drinking and servicing water, and the indirect water includes the water for the cultivation of feed crops. The water footprint of beef cattle was calculated to
Supported by : 한국농어촌공사 농어촌연구원
- Ahn, J.H., J.G. Lee, S.H. Lee, I.P. Hong, 2010, Evaluation of virtual water calculation method in Korea, Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 43(6): 583-595 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2010.43.6.583
- Aldaya, M. M., and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2009. The water needed to have Italians eat pasta and pizza, Value of Water Research Report Series No. 36, UNESCO-IHE.
- Allan, J. A., 2003. Virtual Water-the water, food and trade nexus, useful concept or misleading metaphor?. Water International 28(1): 4-11.
- Chapagain, A. K. and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2003. Virtual water flows between nations in relation to trade in livestock and livestock products, Value of Water Research Report Series No. 13, UNESCO-IHE.
- Chapagain, A. K. and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2004. Water footprints of nations, Value of Water Research Report Series No. 16, UNESCO-IHE.
- Chapagain, A. K. and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2007. The water footprint of coffee and tea consumption in the Netherlands, Ecological Economics 64: 109-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2007.02.022
- Ercin, A. E., M. M. Aldaya, and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2009. A pilot in corporate water footprint accounting and impact assessment: The water footprint of a sugarcontaining carbonated beverage. Value of Water Research Report Series No. 39, UNESCOIHE.
- Gerbens-Leenes, P. W., A. R. van Lienden, A. Y. Hoekstra and Th. H. van der Meer, 2012. Biofuel scenarios in a water perspective: The global blue and green water footprint of road transport in 2030, Global Environmental Change 22: 764-775. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2012.04.001
- Gerbens-Leenes, P. W., M. M. Mekinnen and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2013. The water footprint of poultry, pork and beef: A comparative study in different countries and production systems, Water Resources and Industry 1(2): 25-36.
- Hoekstra, A. Y., A. K. Chapagain, and M. M. Aldaya, 2011. The water footprint assessemnt manual, Earthscan, London, UK.
- Hoekstra, A. Y. and P. Q. Hung, 2002. Virtual water trade: A quantification of virtual water flows between nations in relation to international crop trade, Value of Water Research Report Series No. 11, UNESCO-IHE.
- Jeollanam-do Livestock Policy Division, 2009. 전라남도 녹색 축산육성기금 조례 시행규칙의 별표(5).
- Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation (KAPE), http://www.ekapepia.com.
- Korea Rural Economic Institute (KREI), 2012. Food balance sheet (in Korean).
- Liu, J., A. J. Zehnder and H. Yang, 2009. Global consumptive water use for crop production: The importance of green water, virtual water, Water Resources. Research 45: 1-15.
- Liu, J. and H. H. G. Savenije, 2008. Food consumption patterns and their effect on water requirement in China, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 12(3): 887-898. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-12-887-2008
- Mekonnen, M. M. and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2010. The green, blue and grey water footprint of crops and derived crop products, Value of Water Research Report Series No. 47, UNESCO-IHE.
- Mekonnen, M. M. and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2012. A global assessment of the water footprint of farm animal products, Ecosystems 15(3): 401-415. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10021-011-9517-8
- Ministry of Construction & Transportation (MCT), 2000. Water vision 2020 (in Korean).
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MIFAFF), 2010. A study on conceptualization of food self-sufficiency rate and reestablishing its target in Korea (in Korean).
- Orlowsky, B., Hoekstra, A. Y., Gudmundsson, L., and Seneviratne, S.I., 2014. Todayʼs virtual water consumption and trade under future water scarcity, Environmental Research Letters, 9(7): 074007. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/9/7/074007
- Schyns, J. F., and Hoekstra, A. Y., 2014. The added value of Water Footprint Assessment for national water policy: A case study for Morocco, PLoS ONE, 9(6): e99705. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0099705
- Yoo, S. H., J. B. Im, J. Y. Choi, S. H. Lee, 2012. Estimation of Agricultural Water and Land Required to Substitute the Import of Feed-grain for Domestic Production. The Korean Society of International Agriculture 24(3): 259-264.
- Yoo, S. H., J. Y. Choi, S. H. Lee, and T. G. Kim, 2014a. Estimating water footprint of paddy rice in Korea. Paddy and Water Environment 12(1): 43-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-013-0358-2
- Yoo, S. H., J. Y. Choi, T. Kim, J. B. Im, and C. Chun, 2009. Estimation of Crop Virtual Water in Korea, Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 42(11): 911-920 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2009.42.11.911
- Yoo, S. H., S. H. Lee, and J. Y. Choi, 2014b. Estimating water footprint for upland crop production in Korea, Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(3): 65-74 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.3.065
- Estimation of the Virtual Water Consumption for Food Consumption and Calorie Supply vol.57, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.3.077