- Volume 4 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Feature-Strengthened Gesture Recognition Model based on Dynamic Time Warping
Dynamic Time Warping 기반의 특징 강조형 제스처 인식 모델
- Received : 2014.11.28
- Accepted : 2015.02.13
- Published : 2015.03.31
As smart devices get popular, research on gesture recognition using their embedded-accelerometer draw attention. As Dynamic Time Warping(DTW), recently, has been used to perform gesture recognition on data sequence from accelerometer, in this paper we propose Feature-Strengthened Gesture Recognition(FsGr) Model which can improve the recognition success rate when DTW is used. FsGr model defines feature-strengthened parts of data sequences to similar gestures which might produce unsuccessful recognition, and performs additional DTW on them to improve the recognition rate. In training phase, FsGr model identifies sets of similar gestures, and analyze features of gestures per each set. During recognition phase, it makes additional recognition attempt based on the result of feature analysis to improve the recognition success rate, when the result of first recognition attempt belongs to a set of similar gestures. We present the performance result of FsGr model, by experimenting the recognition of lower case alphabets.
- R. Bellman, "Dynamic Programming," Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ 1957.
- N. Gillian, R. Knapp, and S. o'Modhrain, "Recognition Of Multivariate Temporal Musical Gestures Using N-Dimensional Dynamic Time Warping," Proc. of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression, pp.337-342, 2011.
- S. Cho, W. Bang, and J. Yang, "Two-stage Recognition of Raw Acceleration Signals for 3-D Gesture-Understanding Cell Phones," Proc. of the 10th International Workshop on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition, 2006.
- E. Keogh, M. Pazzani, "Scaling up dynamic time warping for datamining applications," Proc. of the sixth ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining, pp.285-289, 2000.
- M. Ko, B. West, S. Venkatesh, and M. Kumar, "Using dynamic time warping for online temporal fusion in multisensor systems," Information Fusion 9, pp.370-388 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inffus.2006.08.002
- J. Liu, L. Zhong, J. Wickramasuriya, and V. Vasudevan, "uWave: Accelerometer-based personalized gesture recognition and its applications," Pervasive and Mobile Computing 5, pp.657-675, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmcj.2009.07.007
- M. Muller, Information Retrieval for Music and Motion, Springer, 2007.
- S. Kim, G. Park, S. Jeon, S. Yim, G. Han, and S. Choi, "HMM-based Motion Recognition with 3-D Acceleration Signal," KIISE Transactions on Computing Practices and Letters, Vol.15, No.3, pp.216-220, 2009.
- S. Nam, J. Kim, S. Heo, and I. Kim, "Smartphone Accelerometer-Based Gesture Recognition and its Robotic Application," KIPS Transactions on Software and Data Engineering, Vol.2, No.6, pp.395-402, Mar., 2013. https://doi.org/10.3745/KTSDE.2013.2.6.395
- Feature-Strengthened Gesture Recognition Model Based on Dynamic Time Warping for Multi-Users vol.5, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3745/KTSDE.2016.5.10.503