- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Displacement estimation of bridge structures using data fusion of acceleration and strain measurement incorporating finite element model
- Cho, Soojin (School of Urban and Environmental Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST)) ;
- Yun, Chung-Bang (School of Urban and Environmental Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST)) ;
- Sim, Sung-Han (School of Urban and Environmental Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST))
- Received : 2014.11.05
- Accepted : 2015.02.12
- Published : 2015.03.25
Recently, an indirect displacement estimation method using data fusion of acceleration and strain (i.e., acceleration-strain-based method) has been developed. Though the method showed good performance on beam-like structures, it has inherent limitation in applying to more general types of bridges that may have complex shapes, because it uses assumed analytical (sinusoidal) mode shapes to map the measured strain into displacement. This paper proposes an improved displacement estimation method that can be applied to more general types of bridges by building the mapping using the finite element model of the structure rather than using the assumed sinusoidal mode shapes. The performance of the proposed method is evaluated by numerical simulations on a deck arch bridge model and a three-span truss bridge model whose mode shapes are difficult to express as analytical functions. The displacements are estimated by acceleration-based method, strain-based method, acceleration-strain-based method, and the improved method. Then the results are compared with the exact displacement. An experimental validation is also carried out on a prestressed concrete girder bridge. The proposed method is found to provide the best estimate for dynamic displacements in the comparison, showing good agreement with the measurements as well.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Altunisik, A.C., Bayraktar, A. and Ozdemir, H. (2012) "Seismic safety assessment of eynel highway steel bridge using ambient vibration measurements", Smart Struct. Syst., 10(2), 131-154. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2012.10.2.131
- Atkinson, K.E. (2008), An introduction to numerical analysis, John Wiley & Sons.
- Bani-Hani, K.A., Zibdeh, H.S. and Hamdaoui, K. (2008) "Health monitoring of a historical monument in Jordan based on ambient vibration test", Smart Struct. Syst., 4(2), 195-208. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2008.4.2.195
- Celibi, M. (2000), "GPS in dynamic monitoring of long-period structures", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 20, 477-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(00)00094-4
- Cho, S., Sim, S.H., Park, J.W. and Lee, J. (2014), "Extension of indirect displacement estimation method using acceleration and strain to various types of beam structures", Smart Struct. Syst.,14(4), 699-718. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Chung, W., Kim, S., Kim, N. and Lee, H. (2008), "Deflection estimation of a full scale PSC girder using long-gauge fiber optic sensors", Constr. Build. Mater., 22(3), 394-401. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2006.08.007
- Doebling, S.W., Farrar, C.R. and Prime, M.B. (1998), "A summary review of vibration-based damage identification methods", Shock Vib. Digest, 30, 91-105. https://doi.org/10.1177/058310249803000201
- Faulkner, B.C., Barton, F., Baber, T.T. and McKeel, W.T. (1996), Determination of bridge using acceleration data, Virgina Transportation Research Council. VA, USA.
- Foss, G. and Haugse, E. (1995), "Using modal test results to develop strain to displacement transformations", Proceedings of the 13th Int. Modal Analysis Conf.
- Gindy, M., Nassif, H.H. and Velde, J. (2008), "Bridge displacement estimates from measured acceleration records", Transport. Res. Rec., 2028, 136-145.
- Jo, H., Sim, S.H., Tatkowski, A., Spencer, Jr., B.F. and Nelson, M.E. (2013), "Feasibility of displacement monitoring using low-cost GPS re-ceivers", Struct. Control Health., 20(9), 1240-1254. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1532
- Kandula, V., DeBrunner, L., DeBrunner, V. and Rambo-Roddenberry, M. (2012), "Field testing of indirect displacement estimation using accelerometers", Proceedings of the Conf. Record of the 46th Asilomar Conf. Signals, Systems, and Computers.
- Kang, L.H., Kim, D.K. and Han, J.H. (2007), "Estimation of dynamic structural displacements using fiber Bragg grating strain sensors", J. Sound Vib., 305(3), 534-542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2007.04.037
- Lee, H.S., Hong, Y.H. and Park, H.W. (2010), "Design of an FIR filter for the displacement reconstruction using measured acceleration in low-frequency dominant structures", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 82(4), 403-434. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.2769
- Lee, J.J., Fukuda, Y., Shinozuka, M., Cho, S. and Yun, C. (2007), "Development and application of a vision-based displacement measurement system for structural health monitoring of civil structures", Smart Struct. Syst., 3(3), 373-384. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2007.3.3.373
- Majumder, M., Gangopadhyay, T.K., Chakraborty, A.K., Dasgupta, K. and Bhattacharya, D.K. (2008), "Fibre Bragg gratings in structural health monitoring-Present status and applications", Sensor. Actuat. A-Phys., 147(1), 150-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2008.04.008
- Nassif, H.H., Gindy, M. and Davis, J. (2005), "Comparison of laser Doppler vibrometer with contact sensors for monitoring bridge deflection and vibration", NDT & E Inter., 38, 213-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2004.06.012
- Omenzetter, P., Brownjohn, J.M.W. and Moyo, P. (2004), "Identification of unusual events in multi-channel bridge monitoring data", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 18(2), 409-430. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0888-3270(03)00040-2
- Park, J.W., Sim, S.H. and Jung, H.J. (2013), "Displacement estimation using multimetric data fusion", IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics, 18(6), DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2013.2275187. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2013.2275187
- Park, K.T., Kim, S.H., Park, H.S. and Lee, K.W. (2005), "The determination of bridge displacement using measured acceleration", Eng. Struct., 27(3), 371-378. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.10.013
- Shin, S., Lee, S.U. and Kim, N.S. (2012), "Estimation of bridge displacement responses using FBG sensors and theoretical mode shapes", Struct. Eng. Mech., 42(2), 229-245. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.42.2.229
- Sigurdardottir, D.H. and Glisic, B. (2014), "Detecting minute damage in beam-like structures using the neutral axis location", Smart Mater. Struct., 23(12), 125042. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/23/12/125042
- Xu, L., Guo, J.J. and Jiang, J.J. (2002), "Time-frequency analysis of a suspension bridge based on GPS", J. Sound Vib., 254(1), 105-116. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2001.4087
- Computer Vision-Based Structural Displacement Measurement Robust to Light-Induced Image Degradation for In-Service Bridges vol.17, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/s17102317
- Real-time monitoring system for local storage and data transmission by remote control vol.112, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2017.06.010
- Numerical evaluation of multi-metric data fusion based structural health monitoring of long span bridge structures 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2017.1350984
- Traffic Safety Evaluation for Railway Bridges Using Expanded Multisensor Data Fusion vol.31, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/mice.12210
- Structural shape reconstruction of fiber Bragg grating flexible plate based on strain modes using finite element method 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X17708480
- Estimation of flexibility matrix of beam structures using multisensor fusion vol.1, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/24705314.2016.1179494
- Validation of a Data-fusion Based Solution in view of the Real-Time Monitoring of Cable-Stayed Bridges vol.199, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.09.279
- Reference-Free Displacement Estimation of Bridges Using Kalman Filter-Based Multimetric Data Fusion vol.2016, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/3791856
- Dynamic displacement monitoring of flexural structures with distributed long-gage macro-strain sensors vol.9, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1687814017698885
- Dynamic displacement estimation by fusing biased high-sampling rate acceleration and low-sampling rate displacement measurements using two-stage Kalman estimator vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.4.647
- Sensitivity-based damage detection algorithm for structures using vibration data pp.2190-5479, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13349-018-0317-0