- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Policy proposal for monitoring of evidence-based physical activity projects
근거-기반의 신체활동사업 모니터링을 위한 정책 제안
- Kim, Wan-Soo (Clinical Exercise Science Institute, Department of Health Promotion, Daegu University) ;
- Lee, Mi-Ra (Clinical Exercise Science Institute, Department of Health Promotion, Daegu University)
- Received : 2015.02.05
- Accepted : 2015.03.16
- Published : 2015.03.31
Objectives: This study performed to verify Korea National Health and Examination Survey(KNHAES) to monitor recommended physical activity(PA) and to propose an monitoring tools for evidence-based PA projects. Methods: The characteristics of the Global Physical Activity Questionnaire(GPAQ) and its reliability and validity were overviewed based on the current scientific evidence in the field of PA. Relevant articles were identified through multiple sources including PubMed, Science Direct, Scopus, CINAHL, ASP, RISS4U, and KISS. Results: The GPAQ has strong points over the Short Form of International Physical Activity Questionnaire(IPAQ-SF) as a monitoring tool to meet recommended PA levels for three domains separately and reflecting a better understanding about walking. Its reliability and validity also were reported as acceptable in existing studies overall. Some limitations of this questionnaire, however, need to be addressed to improve its quality. Conclusions: For monitoring of evidenced-based physical activity projects, we considered that it is able to be provided an opportunity for in-depth discussion among academic experts and policy-makers about the necessity of complements for KNHAES and applying new tools, and it could be the basis for development of physical activity monitoring tool in the future.
Physical activity levels;KNHAES;IPAQ-SF;GPAQ
- Ainsworth, B., Haskell, W. L., White, M. C., Irwin, M. L., Swartz, A. M., Strath, S. J., ... Leon, A. S. (2000). Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Med Sci Spors Exerc, 32(suppl.), S498-S504. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200009001-00009
- American College of Sports Medicine. (2014). ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, Ninth Edition. Philadelphia: Author. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Armstrong, T., & Bull, F. (2006). Development of the World Health Organization Global Physical Activity Questionnaire(GPAQ). Journal of Public Health. 14, 66-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-006-0024-x
- Au, T. B., Blizzard, L., Schmidt, M., Pham, L. H., Magnussen, C., & Dwyer, T. (2010). Reliability and validity of the global physical activity questionnaire in Vietnam. J Phys Act Health, 7(3), 410-8. https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.7.3.410
- Bauman, A., Phongsavan, P., Schoeppe, S., & Owen, N. (2006). Physical activity measurement-a primer for health promotion. Promot Educ, 13(2):92-103. https://doi.org/10.1177/10253823060130020103
- Bauman, A., Bull, F., Chey, T., Craig, C., Ainsworth, B. E., Sallis, J. F.,...IPS Group (2009). The international prevalence study on physical activity: results form 20 countries. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act, 6(1), 21. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-6-21
- Boon, R. M., Hamlin, M. J., Steel, G. D., & Ross, J. J. (2010). Validation of the New Zealand Physical Activity Questionnaire (NZPAQ-LF) and the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ-LF) with accelerometry. Br J Sports Med, 44(10), 741-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2008.052167
- Bull, F. (2005). Guidelines for training interviewers, translation and cultural adaptation for users of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ). Retrieved from http//www.docstoc.com/docs/23788828/PHYSICAL-ACTIVITY.
- Bull, F. C., Maslin, T. S., & Armstrong, T. (2009). Global physical activity questionnaire (GPAQ): nine country reliability and validity study. J Phys Act Health, 6, 790-804. https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.6.6.790
- Craig, C. L., Marshall, A. L., Sjostrom, M., Bauman, A. E., Booth, M. L., Ainsworth, B. E.,...Oja, P. (2003). International physical activity questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 35(8), 1381-95. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.MSS.0000078924.61453.FB
- Ekelund, U., Sepp, H., Brage, S., Becker, W., Jakes, R., Hennings, M.,...Wareham, N. (2006). Criterion-related validity of the last 7-day, short form of the International Activity Questionnaire in Swedish adults. Public Health Nutr, 9, 258-265.
- Guthold, R., Ono, T., Strong, K. L., Chatterji, S., & Morabia, A. (2008). Worldwide variability in physical inactivity: A 51 country survey. Am J Prev Med, 34(6), 486-494. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2008.02.013
- Hallal, P. C., Victoria, C. G., Wells, J. C. K., & Lima, R. C. (2003). Physical inactivity: prevalence and associated variables in Brazilian adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 35(11), 1894-1900. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.MSS.0000093615.33774.0E
- Hallal, P. C., Anderson, L. B., Bull, F. C., Guthold, R., Haskell, W., Ekelund, U. L. F.,...Wells, J. C. (2012). Global physical activity levels: surveillance progress, pitfalls, and prospects. The Lancet 380(9838), 247-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60646-1
- Helmerhorst, H. J. F., Brage, S., Warren, J., Besson, H., & Ekelund, U. (2012). A systematic review of reliability of objective criterion-related validity of physical activity questionnaires. International J of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 9, 103. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-9-103
- Herrmann, S. D., Heumann, K. J., Der Ananian, C. A., & Ainsworth, B. E. (2013). Validity and reliability of the Global Physical Activity Questionnaire (GPAQ). Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, 17(3), 221-235. https://doi.org/10.1080/1091367X.2013.805139
- Hoos, T., Espinoza, N., Marshall, S., & Arredondo, E. M. (2012). Validity of the Global Activity Questionnaire (GPAQ) in adult Latinas. J Phys Act Health, 9(5), 698-705. https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.9.5.698
- International Physical Activity Questionnaire Group. (2002). SHORT LAST 7 DAYS SELF-ADMINISTERED version of the IPAQ. Revised August 2002. The IPAQ group. Retrieved from https://sites.google.com/site/theipaq/questionnaire_links
- International Physical Activity Questionnaire Group. (2005). Guidelines for Data Processing and Analysis of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) -Short and Long Forms, November. Retrieved from http://www.ipaq.ki.se/scoring.pdf
- Jeon, J. Y. (2013). Development of the Korean Version of Global Physical Activity Questionnaire and Assessment of Reliability and Validity. 2013 Academic research on task, Final Report, Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Kaleth, A. S., Ang, D. C., Chakr, R., & Tong, Y. (2010). Validity and reliability of community health activities model program for seniors and short-form international physical activity questionnaire as physical activity assessment tools in patients with fibromyalgia. Disability and Rehabilitation, 32, 353-359. https://doi.org/10.3109/09638280903166352
- Kim, W. S. (2012a). Comparison of physical activity questions in Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Korean J Health Educ Promot, 29(3), 23-34.
- Kim, W. S. (2012b). Physical activity questions in Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: status, limitation and future directions. Korean Public Health Research, 38(2), 117-131.
- Kim, Y., Park, I., & Kang, M. (2012). Convergent validity of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ): meta-analysis. Public Health Nutrition, 16(3), 440-452. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980012002996
- Kl, S., Manan, Wm. W. A., & Wn, W. S. (2012). The Bahasa Melayu Version of the Global Physical Activity Questionnaire: Reliability and Validity Study in Malaysia. Asia Pac J Public Health, Jan 10.
- Lee, M. R., & Kim, W. S. (2009). Health-enhancing physical activity monitoring tool for Korean adults. Korean J of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, 9(2), 75-85.
- Lee, P. H., Duncan, J. Macfarlane, Lam, T. H., & Stewart, M. Sunita. (2011). Validity of the international physical activity questionnaire short form(IPAQ-SF) : A systematic review. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act, 8, 115. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-8-115
- Leppe, J., Margozzini, P., Villarroel, L., Sarmiento, O., Guthold, R., & Bull, F. (2012). Validity of the global physical activity questionnaire in the National Health Survey-Chile 2009-10. J of Science and Medicine in Sport, 15(1), S297.
- Macfarlane, D. J., Lee, C. C., Ho, E. Y., Chan, K. L., & Chan, D. T. (2007). Reliability and validity of the Chinese version of IPAQ (short, last 7 days). J Sci Med Sport, 10, 45-51.
- Macniven, R., Bauman, A., & Abouzeid, M. (2012). A review of population-based prevalence studies of physical activity in adults in the Asia-Pacific region. Public Health, 12:41.
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. (2014). 2013 National survey of participation in sports. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2011). The 3rd Health Plan. Osong, Korea: Author.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2014). Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES VI-1). Osong, Korea: Author.
- Nunnally, J. C. (1978). Psychometric Theory. McGraw-Hill Book Company, pp.86-113, 190-255.
- Rangul, V., Holmen, T. L., Kurtze, N., Cuypers, K., & Midthjell, K. (2008). Reliability and validity of two frequently used self-administered physical activity questionnaires in adolescents. BMC Med Res Methodol, 8, 47. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-8-47
- Rutten, A., Vuillemin, A., Ooijendijk, W. T., Schena, F., Sjostrom, M., Stahl, T.,... Ziemainz, H. (2003). Physical activity monitoring in Europe. The European Physical Activity Surveillance System (EUPASS) approach and indicator testing. Public Health Nutr, 6, 377-84.
- Ryu, S. Y. (2013). Development and application of prediction model for medical use and cardio-cerebrovascular risk factors of chronic disease patients due to health behaviors. 2013 Symposium for pilot study's results presentation using big data. National Health Insurance Service.
- Rzewnicki, R., Vanden, Auweele. Y., & de Bourdeaudhuij, I. (2003). Addressing overreporting on the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) telephone survey with a population sample. Public Health Nutrtion, 6, 299-305.
- Trinh, O. T. H., Nguyen, N. D., van der Ploeg, H. P., Dibley, M. J., & Bauman, A. (2009). Test-retest repeatability and relative validity of the Global Physical Activity Questionnaire in a developing country context. Journal of Physical Activity & Health, 6(Suppl 1), S46-S53. https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.6.s1.s46
- United Nations General Assembly. (2011). Political declaration of the high-level meeting of the general assembly on the prevention and control of non-communicable disease. New York, NY: United Nations. Retrieved from http://www.un.org/en/ga/ncdmeeting2011/documents.shtml
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. (2008). Chapter 4: Active Adults. In the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. Washington, DC: Author. Retrieved from http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/guidelines/chapter4.aspx
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. (2012). Summary Health Statistics for U.S. Adults: National Health Interview Survey, 2010. Vital and Health Statistics. Series 10, Number 252, January. p147. Washington, DC: Author.
- Warren, J. M., Ekelund, U., Besson, H., Mezzani, A., Geladas, N., & Luc Vanhees, L. (2010). Assessment of physical activity-a review of methodologies with reference to epidemiological research: a report of the exercise physiology section of the European Association of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation. European J of Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation, 17, 127-139. https://doi.org/10.1097/HJR.0b013e32832ed875
- World Health Organization. (2009). Global health risks: mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks. Geneva: Author. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/GlobalHealthRisks_report_full.pdf.
- World Health Organization. (2010). Global recommendations on physical activity for health. Geneva: Author. Retrieved from http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241599979_eng.pdf
- World Health Organization. (2011). Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010. Insufficient physical activity, 2008. Geneva: Author. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/nmh/publications/ncd_report_full_en.pdf
- World Health Organization. (2012). Global strategy on diet, physical activity and health. Physical activity. Recommended levels of physical activity for adults aged 18-64 years. Geneva: Author. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/factsheet_adults/en/index.html.
- World Health Organization (2013). Global Physical Activity Questionnaire Analysis Guide. Geneva: Author. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/chp/steps/resources/GPAQ_Analysis_Guide.pdf?ua=1
- World Health Organization (2014). Noncommunicable Diseases(NCD) Country Profiles. Geneva: Author. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/nmh/countries/kor_en.pdf
- Yang, Y. J. (2007). Development of the tool to measure the level of physical activities and the physical activity guidelines for Korean adults. Project paper of health promotion project. Ministry of Health and Welfare.