- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 -1562T Allele and its Combination with MMP-2 -735 C Allele are Risk Factors for Breast Cancer
- Rahimi, Zohreh (Medical Biology Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Yari, Kheirolah (Medical Biology Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rahimi, Ziba (Medical Biology Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences)
- 발행 : 2015.03.04
Background: Expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) is up-regulated in human cancers. The aim of present study was to investigate the role of MMP-9 C-1562T polymorphism and its interaction with MMP-2 C-735T polymorphism in susceptibility to breast cancer in a population from Western Iran with Kurdish ethnic background. Materials and Methods: The study sample of 205 individuals consisted of 101 breast cancer patients and 104 healthy subjects. MMP-9 C-1562T and MMP-2 C-735T variants were identified using the polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) method. Results: Among 67.4% of studied patients the breast cancer developed in the third and forth decades of the life. The frequency of MMP-9 T allele was 17.3% in patients and 10.1% in controls. The presence of T allele significantly increased the risk of breast cancer by 1.87-fold [OR=1.87 (95% CI 1.05-3.33, p=0.035)]. The frequency of MMP-9 CT+TT genotype tended to be higher in those patients with a family history of cancer in first degree-relatives (36.8%) than those without a family history (28.3%, p=0.37). We observed an interaction between the MMP-9 -1562 T allele with MMP-2 -735 C allele that significantly increased the risk of breast cancer [OR=1.42 (95% CI 1.02-1.98, p=0.036)]. Conclusions: The present study demonstrated that MMP-9 C-1562T polymorphism alone and in combination with MMP-2 C-735T polymorphism increased the risk of breast cancer that might be a useful biomarker in identifying women at risk of developing breast cancer. Also, this study revealed that in most women from Western Iran breast cancer presents in third and fourth decades of life.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences
- Babu GR, Samari G, Cohen SP, et al (2011) Breast cancer screening among females in Iran and recommendations for improved practice: a review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1647-55.
- Bahrehmand F, Vaisi-Raygani A, Kiani A, et al (2012) Matrix metalloproteinase-2 functional promoter polymorphism G1575A is associated with elevated circulatory MMP-2 level and increased risk of cardiovascular disease in systemic lupus erythematosus patients. Lupus, 21, 616-24. https://doi.org/10.1177/0961203312436857
- Beeghly-Fadiel A, Lu W, Shu XO, et al (2011) MMP9 polymorphisms and breast cancer risk: a report from the shanghai breast cancer genetics study. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 126, 507-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-010-1119-1
- Chiranjeevi P, Mrudula Spurthi K, Santhoshi Rani N, et al (2014) Gelatinase B (-1562C/T) polymorphism in tumor progression and invasion of breast cancer. Tumor Biol, 35, 1351-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-1181-5
- Decock J, Paridaens R, Ye S (2008) Genetic polymorphisms of matrix metalloproteinases in lung, breast and colorectal cancer. Clin Genet, 73, 197-211.
- Grieu F, Li WQ, Iacopetta B (2004) Genetic polymorphisms in the MMP-2 and MMP-9 genes and breast cancer phenotype. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 88, 197-204. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-004-0595-6
- Hughes S, Agbaje O, Bowen RL, et al (2007) Matrix metalloproteinase single-nucleotide polymorphisms and haplotypes predict breast cancer progression. Clin Cancer Res, 13, 6673-80. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-0884
- Kaviani A, Neishaboury MR, Mohammadzadeh N, Ansari- Damavandi M, Jamei K (2013) Effects of obesity on presentation of breast cancer, lymph node metastasis and patient survival: A retrospective review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2225-9.
- Ke P, Wu Z-D, Wen H-S, et al (2013) Current evidence on associations between the MMP-7 (-181A> G) polymorphism and digestive system cancer risk. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2269-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2269
- Kim H, Choi DH (2013) Distribution of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in Asian patients with breast cancer. J Breast Cancer, 16, 357-65. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.4.357
- Kolahdoozan S, Sajadi A, Radmard AR, Khademi H (2010) Five common cancers in Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 143-6.
- Lei H, Hemminki K, Altieri A, et al (2007). Promoter polymorphisms in matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors: few associations with breast cancer susceptibility and progression. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 103, 61-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9345-2
- McColgan P, Sharma P (2009). Polymorphisms of matrix metalloproteinases 1, 2, 3 and 9 and susceptibility to lung, breast and colorectal cancer in over 30,000 subjects. Int J Cancer, 125, 1473-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24441
- Przybylowska K, Kluczna A, Zadrozny M, et al (2006) .Polymorphisms of the promoter regions of matrix metalloproteinases genes MMP-1 and MMP-9 in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 95, 65-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-005-9042-6
- Rahimi Z, Merat A, Gerard N, Krishnamoorthy R, Nagel RL (2006). Implications of the genetic epidemiology of globin haplotypes linked to the sickle gene in Southern Iran. Hum Biol, 78, 719-31. https://doi.org/10.1353/hub.2007.0016
- Rahimi Z, Rahimi Z, Omidi Shahsavandi M, Bidoki K, Rezaei M (2013) Matrix metalloproteinase 9 (-1562 C:T) polymorphism as a biomarker of susceptibility to severe preeclampsia. Biomark Med, 7, 93-8. https://doi.org/10.2217/bmm.12.95
- Rahimi Z, Rahimi Z, Aghaei A, Vaisi-Raygani A (2014). AT2R -1332 G:A polymorphism and its interaction with AT1R 1166 A:C, ACE I/D and MMP-9 -1562 C:T polymorphisms: Risk factors for susceptibility to preeclampsia. Gene, 538, 176-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2013.12.013
- Saedi M, Vaisi-Raygani A, Khaghani S, et al (2012). Matrix metalloproteinas-9 functional promoter polymorphism 1562C>T increased risk of early-onset coronary artery disease. Mol Biol Rep, 39, 555-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-0770-x
- Saeed HM, Alanazi MS, Parine NR, et al (2013). Matrix metalloproteinase-2 (-1306 c>t) promoter polymorphism and risk of colorectal cancer in the Saudi population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6025-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6025
- Slattery ML, John E, Torres-Mejia G, et al (2013). Matrix metalloproteinase genes are associated with breast cancer risk and survival: the breast cancer health disparities study. PLoS ONE, 8, 63165. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0063165
- Wang F, Jin X-p, Zhu M, et al (2011). Genotype association of C (-735) T polymorphism of the MMP-2 gene with the risk of carotid atherosclerosis-vulnerable plaque in the Han Chinese population. Vasc Med, 16, 13-18. https://doi.org/10.1177/1358863X10394237
- Yari K, Rahimi Z, Moradi MT, Rahimi Z (2014). The MMP-2- 735 C allele is a risk factor for susceptibility to breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6199-203. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6199
- Zhou P, Du LF, Lv GQ, et al (2011). Current evidence on the relationship between four polymorphisms in the matrix metalloproteinases (MMP) gene and breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 127, 813-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-010-1294-0
- Association of the hypermethylation status of PTEN tumor suppressor gene with the risk of breast cancer among Kurdish population from Western Iran vol.37, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-4731-1
- Associations of MMP-2 −1306 C/T and MMP-9 −1562 C/T polymorphisms with breast cancer risk among different populations: a meta-analysis vol.39, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13258-016-0498-z
- Study of association between interleukin-8 − 845 T/C and + 781 C/T polymorphisms with periodontitis disease among population from Western Iran vol.45, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-018-4282-9