- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Steroidal Saponins from Paris polyphylla Induce Apoptotic Cell Death and Autophagy in A549 Human Lung Cancer Cells
- He, Hao (School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Xi'an Medical University) ;
- Sun, Yan-Ping (School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Xi'an Medical University) ;
- Zheng, Lei (School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Xi'an Medical University) ;
- Yue, Zheng-Gang (Shaanxi Collaborative Innovation Center of Chinese Medicinal Resource Industrialization, School of Pharmacy, Shaanxi College of Traditional Chinese Medicine)
- Published : 2015.03.04
Background: Paris polyphylla (Chinese name: Chonglou) had been traditionally used for a long time and shown anti-cancer action. Based on the previous study that paris polyphylla steroidal saponins (PPSS) induced cytotoxic effect in human lung cancer A549 cells, this study was designed to further illustrate the mechanisms underlying. Materials and Methods: The mechanisms involved in PPSS-induced A549 cell death were investigated by phase contrast microscopy and fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry and western blot analysis, respectively. Results: PPSS decreased the proportion of viable A549 cells, and exposure of A549 cells to PPSS led to both apoptosis and autophagy. Apoptosis was due to activations of caspase-8, caspase-3, as well as cleavage of PARP, and autophagy was confirmed by up-regulation of Beclin 1 and the conversion from LC3 I to LC3 II. Conclusions: PPSS was able to induce lung cancer A549 cell apoptosis and autophagy in vitro, the results underlining the possibility that PPSS would be a potential candidate for intervention against lung cancer.
Paris polyphylla;steroidal saponins;lung cancer;apoptosis;autophagy
Supported by : Educational Department of Shaanxi Province
- Chen Y, Klionsky DJ (2011). The regulation of autophagy - unanswered questions. J Cell Sci, 124, 161-70. https://doi.org/10.1242/jcs.064576
- Committee CP (2010). Pharmacopoeia of the people's republic of China China medical science press: Beijing.
- He H, Zang LH, Feng YS, et al (2013). Physalin A induces apoptotic cell death and protective autophagy in HT1080 human fibrosarcoma cells. J Nat Prod, 76, 880-8. https://doi.org/10.1021/np400017k
- Kabeya Y, Mizushima N, Ueno T, et al (2000). LC3, a mammalian homologue of yeast Apg8p, is localized in autophagosome membranes after processing. EMBO J, 19, 5720-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/emboj/19.21.5720
- Kassiotis C, Ballal K, Wellnitz K, et al (2009). Markers of autophagy are downregulated in failing human heart after mechanical unloading. Circulation, 120, 191-7. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.842252
- Lee KH (1999). Anticancer drug design based on plant-derived natural products. J Biomed Sci, 6, 236-50.
- Li T, Xu WS, Wu GS, et al (2014). Platycodin D induces apoptosis, and inhibits adhesion, migration and invasion in HepG2 hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1745-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1745
- Li Y, Gu JF, Zou X, et al (2013). The anti-lung cancer activities of steroidal saponins of P. polyphylla Smith var. chinensis (Franch.) Hara through enhanced immunostimulation in experimental Lewis tumor-bearing C57BL/6 mice and induction of apoptosis in the A549 cell line. Molecules, 18, 12916-36. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules181012916
- Mountain CF (1997). Revisions in the International System for Staging Lung Cancer. Chest, 111, 1710-7. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.111.6.1710
- Newman DJ, Cragg GM (2012). Natural products as sources of new drugs over the 30 years from 1981 to 2010. J Natural Products, 75, 311-35. https://doi.org/10.1021/np200906s
- Pandey S, Chandravati (2012). Autophagy in cervical cancer: an emerging therapeutic target. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4867-71. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.4867
- Pandurangan AK, Esa NM (2013). Dietary non-nutritive factors in targeting of regulatory molecules in colorectal cancer: an update. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5543-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5543
- Patz EF, Jr., Campa MJ, Gottlin EB, et al (2007). Panel of serum biomarkers for the diagnosis of lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 25, 5578-83. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.13.5392
- Sankari SL, Masthan KM, Babu NA, et al (2012). Apoptosis in cancer--an update. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4873-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.4873
- Savill J, Fadok V (2000). Corpse clearance defines the meaning of cell death. Nature, 407, 784-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/35037722
- Siegel R, Ma J, Zou Z, et al (2014). Cancer statistics, 2014. CA Cancer J Clin, 64, 9-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21208
- Tanida I, Minematsu-Ikeguchi N, Ueno T, et al (2005). Lysosomal turnover, but not a cellular level, of endogenous LC3 is a marker for autophagy. Autophagy, 1, 84-91. https://doi.org/10.4161/auto.1.2.1697
- Tanida I, Ueno T, Kominami E (2004). LC3 conjugation system in mammalian autophagy. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 36, 2503-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2004.05.009
- Wang Y, Zhang YJ, Gao WY, et al (2007). Anti-tumor constituents from Paris polyphylla var. yunnanensis. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi, 32, 1425-8 (in Chinese).
- Xing S, Zhang Y, Li J, et al (2012). Beclin 1 knockdown inhibits autophagic activation and prevents the secondary neurodegenerative damage in the ipsilateral thalamus following focal cerebral infarction. Autophagy, 8, 63-76. https://doi.org/10.4161/auto.8.1.18217
- Yan LL, Zhang YJ, Gao WY, et al (2009). In vitro and in vivo anticancer activity of steroid saponins of Paris polyphylla var. yunnanensis. Exp Oncol, 31, 27-32.
- Paris Saponins enhance radiosensitivity in a gefitinib-resistant lung adenocarcinoma cell line by inducing apoptosis and G2/M cell cycle phase arrest vol.13, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2016.4865
- In silico identification of anti-cancer compounds and plants from traditional Chinese medicine database vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1038/srep25462
- The Cdc2/Cdk1 inhibitor, purvalanol A, enhances the cytotoxic effects of taxol through Op18/stathmin in non-small cell lung cancer cells in vitro vol.40, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijmm.2017.2989
- Recent advances in steroidal saponins biosynthesis and in vitro production vol.248, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00425-018-2911-0