- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Quantitative Assessment of the Diagnostic Role of CDH13 Promoter Methylation in Lung Cancer
- Zhong, Yun-Hua (Faculty of Life Science and Technology, Kunming University of Science and Technology, Chenggong Campus) ;
- Peng, Hao (Thoracic Surgery, the First People's Hospital of Yunnan Province, Panlong Campus) ;
- Cheng, Hong-Zhong (Thoracic Surgery, the First People's Hospital of Yunnan Province, Panlong Campus) ;
- Wang, Ping (Thoracic Surgery, the First People's Hospital of Yunnan Province, Panlong Campus)
- Published : 2015.03.04
In order to explore the association between cadherin 13 (CDH13) gene promoter methylation and lung carcinoma (LC) risk, we carried out a meta-analysis with searching of PubMed, Web of Science. Ultimately, 17 articles were identified and analysised by STATA 12.0 software. Overall, we found a significant relationship between CDH13 promoter methylation and LC risk (odds ratio=6.98, 95% confidence interval: 4.21-11.56, p<0.001). Subgroup analyses further revealed that LC risk was increased for individuals carrying the methylated CDH13 compared with those with unmethylated CDH13. Hence, our study identified a strong association between CDH13 gene promoter methylation and LC and highlighted a promising potential for CDH13 methylation in LC risk prediction.
Supported by : Specialized Research Fund
- Stewart B (2014). World cancer report 2014. World Health Organization.
- Brock MV, Hooker CM, Ota-Machida E, et al (2008). DNA methylation markers and early recurrence in stage I lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 358, 1118-28. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0706550
- DerSimonian R, Laird N (1986). Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials, 7, 177-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(86)90046-2
- Dickersin K, Berlin JA (1992). Meta-analysis: state-of-thescience. Epidemiol Rev, 14, 154-76.
- Dong SM, Lee EJ, Jeon ES, et al (2005). Progressive methylation during the serrated neoplasia pathway of the colorectum. Mod Pathol, 18, 170-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800261
- Esteller M, Sanchez-Cespedes M, Rosell R, et al (1999). Detection of aberrant promoter hypermethylation of tumor suppressor genes in serum DNA from non-small cell lung cancer patients. Cancer Res, 59, 67-70.
- Feng Q, Hawes SE, Stern JE, et al (2007). Promoter hypermethylation of tumor suppressor genes in urine from patients with cervical neoplasia. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 16, 1178-84. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0694
- Feng Q, Hawes SE, Stern JE, et al (2008). DNA methylation in tumor and matched normal tissues from non-small cell lung cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 645-54. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-07-2518
- Hanabata T, Tsukuda K, Toyooka S, et al (2004). DNA methylation of multiple genes and clinicopathological relationship of non-small cell lung cancers. Oncol Rep, 12, 177-80.
- Hsu HS, Chen TP, Hung CH, et al (2007). Characterization of a multiple epigenetic marker panel for lung cancer detection and risk assessment in plasma. Cancer, 110, 2019-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23001
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jin M, Kawakami K, Fukui Y, et al (2009). Different histological types of non-small cell lung cancer have distinct folate and DNA methylation levels. Cancer Sci, 100, 2325-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01321.x
- Kim DS, Kim MJ, Lee JY, et al (2007). Aberrant methylation of E-cadherin and H-cadherin genes in nonsmall cell lung cancer and its relation to clinicopathologic features. Cancer, 110, 2785-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23113
- Kim H, Kwon YM, Kim JS, et al (2006). Elevated mRNA levels of DNA methyltransferase-1 as an independent prognostic factor in primary nonsmall cell lung cancer. Cancer, 107, 1042-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22087
- Kim H, Kwon YM, Kim JS, et al (2004). Tumor-specific methylation in bronchial lavage for the early detection of non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 22, 2363-70. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.10.077
- Kontic M, Stojsic J, Jovanovic D, et al (2012). Aberrant promoter methylation of CDH13 and MGMT genes is associated with clinicopathologic characteristics of primary non-small-cell lung carcinoma. Clin Lung Cancer, 13, 297-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cllc.2011.11.003
- Lee SW (1996). H-cadherin, a novel cadherin with growth inhibitory functions and diminished expression in human breast cancer. Nat Med, 2, 776-82. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm0796-776
- Li L, Choi JY, Lee KM, et al (2012). DNA methylation in peripheral blood: a potential biomarker for cancer molecular epidemiology. J Epidemiol, 22, 384-94. https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.JE20120003
- M. Egger GDS, M. Schneider, and C. Minder (1997). Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ Open.
- Mantel N, Haenszel W (1959). Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease. J Natl Cancer Inst, 22, 719-48.
- Mikeska T, Bock C, Do H, et al (2012). DNA methylation biomarkers in cancer: progress towards clinical implementation. Expert Rev Mol Diagn, 12, 473-87. https://doi.org/10.1586/erm.12.45
- Riou P, Saffroy R, Chenailler C, et al (2006). Expression of T-cadherin in tumor cells influences invasive potential of human hepatocellular carcinoma. Faseb J, 20, 2291-301. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.06-6085com
- Sato M, Mori Y, Sakurada A, et al (1998). The H-cadherin (CDH13 ) gene is inactivated in human lung cancer. Human Genetics, 103, 96-101. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004390050790
- Suzuki M, Shigematsu H, Iizasa T, et al (2006). Exclusive mutation in epidermal growth factor receptor gene, HER-2, and KRAS, and synchronous methylation of nonsmall cell lung cancer. Cancer, 106, 2200-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21853
- Takeuchi T, Ohtsuki Y (2001). Recent progress in T-cadherin (CDH13 , H-cadherin) research. Histol Histopathol, 16, 1287-93.
- Toyooka KO, Toyooka S, Virmani AK, et al (2001). Loss of expression and aberrant methylation of the CDH13 (H-cadherin) gene in breast and lung carcinomas. Cancer Res, 61, 4556-60.
- Toyooka S, Maruyama R, Toyooka KO, et al (2003). Smoke exposure, histologic type and geography-related differences in the methylation profiles of non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Cancer, 103, 153-60. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10787
- Tsou JA, Galler JS, Siegmund KD, et al (2007). Identification of a panel of sensitive and specific DNA methylation markers for lung adenocarcinoma. Mol Cancer, 6, 70.
- Ulivi P, Zoli W, Calistri D, et al (2006). p16INK4A and CDH13 hypermethylation in tumor and serum of non-small cell lung cancer patients. J Cell Physiol, 206, 611-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.20503
- Yanagawa N, Tamura G, Oizumi H, et al (2007). Promoter hypermethylation of RASSF1A and RUNX3 genes as an independent prognostic prediction marker in surgically resected non-small cell lung cancers. Lung Cancer, 58, 131-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2007.05.011
- Zhai X, Li SJ (2014). Methylation of RASSF1A and CDH13 genes in individualized chemotherapy for patients with nonsmall cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4925-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4925
- Zhang Y, Wang R, Song H, et al (2011). Methylation of multiple genes as a candidate biomarker in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Lett, 303, 21-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2010.12.011
- Zhong Y, Delgado Y, Gomez J, et al (2001). Loss of H-cadherin protein expression in human non-small cell lung cancer is associated with tumorigenicity. Clin Cancer Res, 7, 1683-7.
- A Systematic Analysis of the Relationship of CDH13 Promoter Methylation and Breast Cancer Risk and Prognosis vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0149185
- Hypermethylation of CDH13, DKK3 and FOXL2 promoters and the expression of EZH2 in ovary granulosa cell tumors vol.14, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2016.5521
- Integrative information theoretic network analysis for genome-wide association study of aspirin exacerbated respiratory disease in Korean population vol.10, pp.S1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12920-017-0266-1