- Volume 16 Issue 3
Objective: Glypican-3 (GPC3) is reported to be an oncofetal protein that is a useful diagnostic immunomarker for hepatoblastoma. However, the results are not inclusive. This study systemically investigated the association between expression of GPC3 and pediatric hepatoblastoma. Methods: Clinical studies evaluating the association were identified using a predefined search strategy. GPC3 immunohistochemistry was applied in the pathological diagnosis of hepatoblastoma using the monoclonal antibodies with formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded specimens. Positive predictive rates for the association between expression of GPC3 and pediatric hepatoblastoma were calculated. Results: Specimens from four clinical studies which including 134 patients with pediatric hepatoblastoma tested by GPC3 immunohistochemistry were considered eligible for inclusion. Systemic analysis showed that, in all patients, pooled positive predictive rate of the association between expression of GPC3 and pediatric hepatoblastoma was 95.5% (128/134). Conclusion: This systemic analysis suggests that the expression of glypican-3 is highly associated with the diagnosis of pediatric hepatoblastoma.
- Abdelgawad IA, Mossallam GI, Radwan NH, et al (2013). Can Glypican3 be diagnostic for early hepatocellular carcinoma among Egyptian patients? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7345-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7345
- Chan ES, Pawel BR, Corao DA, et al (2013). Immunohistochemical expression of glypican-3 in pediatric tumors, an analysis of 414 cases. Pediatr Dev Pathol, 16, 272-7. https://doi.org/10.2350/12-06-1216-OA.1
- Chu PG, Ishizawa S, Wu E, et al (2002). Hepatocyte antigen as a marker of hepatocellular carcinoma, an immunohistochemical comparison to carcinoembryonic antigen, CD10, and alpha-fetoprotein. Am J Surg Pathol, 26, 978-88. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-200208000-00002
- Filmus J, Selleck SB (2001). Glypicans, proteoglycans with a surprise. J Clin Invest, 108, 497-501. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI200113712
- Grisaru S, Cano-Gauci DF, Tee J, et al (2001). Glypican-3 modulates BMP- and FGF-mediated effects during renal branching morphogenesis. Dev Biol, 231, 31-46. https://doi.org/10.1006/dbio.2000.0127
- Kim YH, Kang JS (2013). Expression of glypican-3 in mouse embryo stem cells and its derived hepatic lineage cells treated with diethylnitrosamine in vitro. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6341-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6341
- Kong CS, Appenzeller M, Ferrell LD (2000). Utility of CD34 reactivity in evaluating focal nodular hepatocellular lesions sampled by fine needle aspiration biopsy. Acta Cytol, 44, 218-22. https://doi.org/10.1159/000326363
- Hsu HC, Cheng W, Lai PL (1997). Cloning and expression of a developmentally regulated transcript MXR7 in hepatocellular carcinoma, biological significance and temporospatial distribution. Cancer Res, 57, 5179-84.
- Ismail H, Broniszczak D, Kaliciński P, et al (2012). Changing treatment and outcome of children with hepatoblastoma, analysis of a single center experience over the last 20 years. J Pediatr Surg, 47, 1331-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2011.11.073
- Lage H, Dietel M, Froschle G, et al (1998). Expression of the novel mitoxantrone resistance associated gene MXR7 in colorectal malignancies. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther, 36, 58-60.
- Lin H, Huber R, Schlessinger D, et al (1999). Frequent silencing of the GPC3 gene in ovarian cancer cell lines. Cancer Res, 59, 807-10.
- Midorikawa Y, Ishikawa S, Iwanari H, et al (2003). Glypican-3, overexpressed in hepatocellular carcinoma, modulates FGF2 and BMP-7 signaling. Int J Cancer, 103, 455-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10856
- Murthy SS, Shen T, De Rienzo A, et al (2000). Expression of GPC3, an X-linked recessive overgrowth gene, is silenced in malignant mesothelioma. Oncogene, 19, 410-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1203322
- Paine-Saunders S, Viviano BL, Zupicich J, et al (2000). Glypican-3 controls cellular responses to Bmp4 in limb patterning and skeletal development. Dev Biol, 225, 179-87. https://doi.org/10.1006/dbio.2000.9831
- Park YN, Yang CP, Fernandez GJ, et al (1998). Neoangiogenesis and sinusoidal 'capillarization' in dysplastic nodules of the liver. Am J Surg Pathol, 22, 656-62. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-199806000-00002
- Piscione TD, Phan T, Rosenblum ND (2001). BMP7 controls collecting tubule cell proliferation and apoptosis via Smad1-dependent and -independent pathways. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol, 280, F19-33.
- Saikali Z, Sinnett D (2000). Expression of glypican3 (GPC3) in embryonal tumors. Int J Cancer, 89, 418-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0215(20000920)89:5<418::AID-IJC4>3.0.CO;2-I
- Watanabe A, Hippo Y, Taniguchi H, et al (2003). An opposing view on WWOX protein function as a tumor suppressor. Cancer Res, 63, 8629-33.
- Wang FH, Wen JM, Vong HT, et al (2013). Glypican 3 expression in hepatoblastoma and its diagnostic implication. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi, 42, 806-9.
- Xiang YY, Ladeda V, Filmus J (2001). Glypican -3 expression is silenced in human breast cancer. Oncogene, 20, 7408-12. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1204925
- Yamauchi N, Watanabe A, Hishinuma M, et al (2005). The glypican 3 oncofetal protein is a promising diagnostic marker for hepatocellular carcinoma. Mod Pathol, 18, 1591-8.
- Zhang Z, Coomans C, David G (2001). Membrane heparan sulfate proteoglycan-supported FGF2-FGFR1 signaling. Evidence in support of the 'cooperative end structures' model. J Biol Chem, 276, 41921-9. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M106608200
- Zhu ZW, Friess H, Wang L, et al (2001). Enhanced glypican-3 expression differentiates the majority of hepatocellular carcinomas from benign hepatic disorders. Gut, 48, 558-64. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.48.4.558
- Zynger DL, Gupta A, Luan C, et al (2008). Expression of glypican 3 in hepatoblastoma, an immunohistochemical study of 65 cases. Hum Pathol, 39, 224-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2007.06.006
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation