- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Impact of Bilateral Breast Cancer on Prognosis: Synchronous Versus Metachronous Tumors
- Ibrahim, Noha Y. (Oncology Department, Kasr Al-Ainy Center of Clinical Oncology and Nuclear Medicine (NEMROCK), Kasr El-Aini School of Medicine, Cairo University) ;
- Sroor, Mahmoud Y. (Oncology Department, Kasr Al-Ainy Center of Clinical Oncology and Nuclear Medicine (NEMROCK), Kasr El-Aini School of Medicine, Cairo University) ;
- Darwish, Dalia O. (Oncology Department, Kasr Al-Ainy Center of Clinical Oncology and Nuclear Medicine (NEMROCK), Kasr El-Aini School of Medicine, Cairo University)
- Published : 2015.03.04
Background: The clinical significance of bilateral breast cancer is unclear and its influence on prognosis is controversial. Materials and Methods: Between 2005 and 2009 we identified 110 cases of bilateral breast cancer (BBC) ; 49 patients had synchronous (duration between the occurrence of carcinoma in both breasts was less than 12 months) and 61 had metachronous (duration was more than one year with no ipsilateral local recurrence). We compared the patient characteristics including age, menopausal status, clinical stage, tumor size, histological classification, lymph node status, and hormone receptor and Her-2 status. We also compared the treatment given and overall and disease free survival (DFS) of both groups. Results: Synchronous cases tend to present more aggressively than metachronous cases and age at first presentation adversely affects survival. The 5 year overall survival was 78.7% for metachronous and 60% for synchronous. Patients with positive hormonal status had better five year disease free survival in metachronous compared to synchronous cases, at 76% and 63%, respectively. Age at first presentation >45years had better DFS (65%) compared to those with age
Bilateral breast cancer;synchronous;metachronous;survival;prognosis
- Hartman M, Czene K,Reilly M, et al (2007). Incidence and prognosis of synchronous and metachronous bilateral breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 25, 4210-16. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.10.5056
- Carmichael AR, Bendall S, Lockerbie L, et al (2002). The long-term outcome of synchronous bilateral breast cancer is worse than meta-chronous or unilateral tumours. Eur J Surg Oncol, 28, 388-91. https://doi.org/10.1053/ejso.2002.1266
- Heron DE, Komarnicky LT, Hyslop T, et al (2000). Bilateral breast carcinoma: risk factors and outcomes for patients with synchronous and metachronous disease. Cancer, 88, 2739-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20000615)88:12<2739::AID-CNCR12>3.0.CO;2-J
- Quan G, Pommier SJ, Pommier RF (2008) Incidence and outcomes of contralateral breast cancers. Am J Surg, 195, 645-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2008.01.007
- Kheirelseid E A H, Jumustafa H, Miller N, et al (2011). Bilateral breast cancer: analysis of incidence, of survival and disease characteristics. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 126, 131-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-010-1057-y
- Tsyhyka DY, Hotko YS and Devinyak (2013). Receptor status of tumor as prognostic factor in patients with bilateral breast cancer. Exp Oncol, 35, 291-4.
- Chen SF, Du CW, Yang P, et al (2013). The molecular and clinicopathologic characteristics of bilateral breast cancer. Scientific reports/3:2590/DOI, 10, 1038. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep02590
- Vuoto HD, Garcia AM, Candas GB, et al (2010). Bilateral breast carcinoma: clinical characteristics and its impact on survival. Breast J, 6, 625-32.
- Roder D, et al (2013). Survival from synchronous bilateral breast cancer: The experience of surgeons participating in the breast audit of the society of breast surgeons of Australia and New Zealand. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 4571-5.
- Baykara M, Ozturk SC, Buyukberber S, et al (2012). Clinicopathological features in bilateral breast cancer. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 4571-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4571
- Liang X, Li D, Geng W, Cao X, et al (2013). The prognosis of synchronous and metachronous bilateral breast cancer in Chinese patients. Tumor biology, 2, 995-1004.
- Properties of Synchronous Versus Metachronous Bilateral Breast Carcinoma with Long Time Follow Up vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4921
- Breast-conserving therapy: An alternative to optimal cosmetic outcome and comparable prognosis in synchronous bilateral breast cancer vol.21, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/1744-1633.12246
- Is contralateral breast ultrasound worthwhile in preoperative staging of breast cancer? pp.1097-0096, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcu.22693