- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Planning Aspects of Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy and Intensity Modulated Radio therapy in Carcinoma Left Breast - A Comparative Study
- Ekambaram, Varadharajan (Dept. of Radiation Oncology, Billroth Hospitals Ltd.) ;
- Velayudham, Ramasubramanian (Nuclear and Medical Physics Division, School of Advanced Sciences, VIT University) ;
- Swaminathan, Shiyama (Dept. of Radiation Oncology, Billroth Hospitals Ltd.) ;
- Loganathan, Padmanabhan (Dept. of Radiation Oncology, Billroth Hospitals Ltd.) ;
- Swaminathan, Vijaya (Dept. of Radiation Oncology, Billroth Hospitals Ltd.)
- Published : 2015.03.09
Background: The advantages of Rapid Arc plans versus Intensity modulated radiotherapy plans for Carcinoma left breast were analyzed. Materials and Methods: In this study 20 Post mastectomy carcinoma left breast patients were analyzed. Both Intensity modulated Radiotherapy and Rapid Arc plans were generated for these patients. IMRT plans with 7 beams in an arc fashion and VMAT plans with two semi arcs were made to achieve 95% dose coverage to 100% volume. The plans were evaluated using Dose volume Histograms. Results: The mean Conformity and Homogeneity index in VMAT is found to be 1.05 and 0.065 respectively whereas in IMRT it was 1.07 and 0.069. The 20% volume of Heart received a mean dose of 960cGy in VMAT and 1300cGy in IMRT. The mean dose was 1236cGy in VMAT and 1870cGy in IMRT. The ipsilateral Lung received 3395cGy to 5% volume and 1840cGy to 20% volume on an average and the mean dose was 1205cGy in VMAT, while the same were found to be 3525cGy, 2012cGy and 1435cGy respectively in IMRT. The Contralateral Lung received a mean dose of 505cGy in VMAT and 553cGy in IMRT. The mean Monitor units in VMAT were 512MU and 1170MU in IMRT. The NTID in VMAT is
Volume modulated arc therapy;breast cancer;intensity modulated radiotherapy
- Ali MA, Babaiah M, Madhusudhan N, et al (2014). Comparative dosimetric analysis of IMRT and VMAT (RapidArc) in brain, head and neck, breast and prostate malignancies. Int J Cancer Ther Oncol, 3, 3019. https://doi.org/10.14319/ijcto.0301.9
- Ekambaram V, Shiyama S, Velayudham R, et al (2014). Biological evaluation of 3 dimensional conformal radiotherapy and intensity modulated radiotherapy plans in different clinical situations. JIPMER J Cancer, 3, 35-43.
- Ekambaram V, Velayudham R (2013) Commissioning and Acceptance Testing of the existing linear accelerator upgraded to volumetric modulated arc therapy; Rep Pract Oncol Radiother, 18, 286-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rpor.2013.07.008
- Ekambaram V, Velayudham R (2014). Analysis of low dose level volumes in intensity modulated radiotherapy and 3-D conformal radiotherapy. Int J Cancer Ther Oncol, 2, 2032. https://doi.org/10.14319/ijcto.0203.2
- Mansouri S, Naim A, Glaria L, et al (2014). Dosimetric evaluation of 3-D conformal and intensity-modulated radiotherapy for breast cancer after conservative surgery. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4727-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4727
- Moorthy S, Sakr H, Hasan S, et al (2013). Dosimetric study of SIB-IMRT versus SIB-3DCRT for breast cancer with breathhold gated technique. Int J Cancer Ther Oncol, 3, 10110.
- Naqvi SA, Mohiuddin MM, Yu CX (2010). Comparing Radiation Treatments Using Intensity-Modulated Beams, Multiple Arcs and Single Arc. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 76.
- Nicolini G, Clivio A, Fogliata A, et al (2009) Simultaneous integrated boost radiotherapy for bilateral breast: a treatment planning and dosimetric comparison for volumetric modulated arc and fixed field intensity modulated therapy. Radiation Oncol, 4, 27 https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717X-4-27
- Rana S (2013) Intensity modulated radiation therapy versus volumetric intensity modulated arc therapy. J Medical Radiation Sci, 60, 81-83 https://doi.org/10.1002/jmrs.19
- Swamy ST, Radha CA, Kathirvel M, et al (2014). Feasibility study of deep inspiration breath-hold based volumetric modulated arc therapy for locally advanced left sided breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9033-38. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.9033
- Zhu W-G, Zhou K, Yu C-H, et al (2012). Efficacy analysis of simplified intensity-modulated radiotherapy with high or conventional dose and concurrent chemotherapy for patients with neck and upper thoracic esophageal carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 803-07. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.803
- Planning and Dosimetric Study of Volumetric Modulated Arc Based Hypofractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy for Acoustic Schwannoma - 6MV Flattening Filter Free Photon Beam vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.5019
- Critical appraisal of the role of volumetric modulated arc therapy in the radiation therapy management of breast cancer vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13014-017-0935-4