- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Planning Aspects of Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy and Intensity Modulated Radio therapy in Carcinoma Left Breast - A Comparative Study
- Ekambaram, Varadharajan (Dept. of Radiation Oncology, Billroth Hospitals Ltd.) ;
- Velayudham, Ramasubramanian (Nuclear and Medical Physics Division, School of Advanced Sciences, VIT University) ;
- Swaminathan, Shiyama (Dept. of Radiation Oncology, Billroth Hospitals Ltd.) ;
- Loganathan, Padmanabhan (Dept. of Radiation Oncology, Billroth Hospitals Ltd.) ;
- Swaminathan, Vijaya (Dept. of Radiation Oncology, Billroth Hospitals Ltd.)
- Published : 2015.03.09
Background: The advantages of Rapid Arc plans versus Intensity modulated radiotherapy plans for Carcinoma left breast were analyzed. Materials and Methods: In this study 20 Post mastectomy carcinoma left breast patients were analyzed. Both Intensity modulated Radiotherapy and Rapid Arc plans were generated for these patients. IMRT plans with 7 beams in an arc fashion and VMAT plans with two semi arcs were made to achieve 95% dose coverage to 100% volume. The plans were evaluated using Dose volume Histograms. Results: The mean Conformity and Homogeneity index in VMAT is found to be 1.05 and 0.065 respectively whereas in IMRT it was 1.07 and 0.069. The 20% volume of Heart received a mean dose of 960cGy in VMAT and 1300cGy in IMRT. The mean dose was 1236cGy in VMAT and 1870cGy in IMRT. The ipsilateral Lung received 3395cGy to 5% volume and 1840cGy to 20% volume on an average and the mean dose was 1205cGy in VMAT, while the same were found to be 3525cGy, 2012cGy and 1435cGy respectively in IMRT. The Contralateral Lung received a mean dose of 505cGy in VMAT and 553cGy in IMRT. The mean Monitor units in VMAT were 512MU and 1170MU in IMRT. The NTID in VMAT is
- Ali MA, Babaiah M, Madhusudhan N, et al (2014). Comparative dosimetric analysis of IMRT and VMAT (RapidArc) in brain, head and neck, breast and prostate malignancies. Int J Cancer Ther Oncol, 3, 3019. https://doi.org/10.14319/ijcto.0301.9
- Ekambaram V, Shiyama S, Velayudham R, et al (2014). Biological evaluation of 3 dimensional conformal radiotherapy and intensity modulated radiotherapy plans in different clinical situations. JIPMER J Cancer, 3, 35-43.
- Ekambaram V, Velayudham R (2013) Commissioning and Acceptance Testing of the existing linear accelerator upgraded to volumetric modulated arc therapy; Rep Pract Oncol Radiother, 18, 286-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rpor.2013.07.008
- Ekambaram V, Velayudham R (2014). Analysis of low dose level volumes in intensity modulated radiotherapy and 3-D conformal radiotherapy. Int J Cancer Ther Oncol, 2, 2032. https://doi.org/10.14319/ijcto.0203.2
- Mansouri S, Naim A, Glaria L, et al (2014). Dosimetric evaluation of 3-D conformal and intensity-modulated radiotherapy for breast cancer after conservative surgery. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4727-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4727
- Moorthy S, Sakr H, Hasan S, et al (2013). Dosimetric study of SIB-IMRT versus SIB-3DCRT for breast cancer with breathhold gated technique. Int J Cancer Ther Oncol, 3, 10110.
- Naqvi SA, Mohiuddin MM, Yu CX (2010). Comparing Radiation Treatments Using Intensity-Modulated Beams, Multiple Arcs and Single Arc. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 76.
- Nicolini G, Clivio A, Fogliata A, et al (2009) Simultaneous integrated boost radiotherapy for bilateral breast: a treatment planning and dosimetric comparison for volumetric modulated arc and fixed field intensity modulated therapy. Radiation Oncol, 4, 27 https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717X-4-27
- Rana S (2013) Intensity modulated radiation therapy versus volumetric intensity modulated arc therapy. J Medical Radiation Sci, 60, 81-83 https://doi.org/10.1002/jmrs.19
- Swamy ST, Radha CA, Kathirvel M, et al (2014). Feasibility study of deep inspiration breath-hold based volumetric modulated arc therapy for locally advanced left sided breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9033-38. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.9033
- Zhu W-G, Zhou K, Yu C-H, et al (2012). Efficacy analysis of simplified intensity-modulated radiotherapy with high or conventional dose and concurrent chemotherapy for patients with neck and upper thoracic esophageal carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 803-07. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.803
- Planning and Dosimetric Study of Volumetric Modulated Arc Based Hypofractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy for Acoustic Schwannoma - 6MV Flattening Filter Free Photon Beam vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.5019
- Critical appraisal of the role of volumetric modulated arc therapy in the radiation therapy management of breast cancer vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13014-017-0935-4