- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Associations of Demographic and Socioeconomic Factors with Stage at Diagnosis of Breast Cancer
- Mohaghegh, Pegah (Department of Health and Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Yavari, Parvin (Department of Health and Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Akbari, Mohammad Esmail (Cancer Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Abadi, Alireza (Department of Health and Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Ahmadi, Farzane (Department of Biostatistics, Paramedical School, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science)
- Published : 2015.03.09
Background: Stage at diagnosis is one of the most important prognostic factors of breast cancer survival. Because in the breast cancer case this may vary with socioeconomic characteristics, this study was performed to recognize the relationship between demographic and socioeconomic factors with stage at diagnosis in Iran. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional, descriptive study conducted on 526 patients suffering from breast cancer and registered in Cancer Research Center of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences from 2008 to 2013. A reliable and valid questionnaire about family levels of socioeconomic status filled in by interviewing the patients via phone. For analyzing the data, Multinomial logistic regression, Kendal tau-b correlation coefficient and Contingency Coefficient tests were executed by SPSS22. Economic status, educational attainment of patient and household head and/or a combination of these were considered as parameters for socioeconomic status. First, the relationship between stage at diagnosis and demographic and socioeconomic status was assessed in univariate analysis then these relationships assessed in two different models of multinomial logistic regression. Results: The mean age of the patients was 48.3 (SD=11.4). According to the results of this study, there were significant relationships between stage at diagnosis of breast cancer with patient education (p=0.011), living place (p=0.044) and combined socioeconomic status (p=0.024). These relationships persisted in multiple multinomial logistic regressions. Other variables, however, had no significant correlation. Conclusions: Patient education, combined socioeconomic status and living place are important variables in stage at diagnosis of breast cancer in Iranian women. Interventions have to be applied with the aim of raising women's accessibility to diagnostic and medical facilities and also awareness in order to reducing delay in referring. In addition, covering breast cancer screening services by insurance is recommended.
Socioeconomic status;stage at diagnoses;breast cancer
Supported by : Shahid Beheshti University of Medial Sciences
- Ali R, Mathew A, Rajan B (2008). Effects of socio-economic and demographic factors in delayed reporting and late-stage presentation among patients with breast cancer in a major cancer hospital in South India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 703-7.
- Baquet CR, Commiskey P (2000). Socioeconomic factors and breast carcinoma in multicultural women. Cancer, 88,1256-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(20000301)88:5+<1256::AID-CNCR13>3.0.CO;2-3
- Ebrahimi M, Vahdania M, Montazeri A (2002). Risk factors for breast cancer in Iran. A case- control study. Breast Cancer Res, 4, 22-26. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr478
- Ermiah E, Abdalla F, Buhmeida A, et al (2012). Diagnosis delay in Libyan female breast cancer. BMC Res Notes, 5, 452-460. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-5-452
- Garmaroudi GHR, Moradi A (2010). Socio-Economic Status in Iran: A study of measurement index [abstract]. Payesh, 9, 137-144.
- Ghazali SM, Othman Z, Cheong KC, et al (2013). Non-practice of breast self examination and marital status are associated with delayed presentation with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1141-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.1141
- Halpern MT, Bian J, Ward EM, Schrag NM, Chen AY (2007). Insurance status and stage of cancer at diagnosis among women with breast cancer. Cancer, 110, 403-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22786
- Harford JB (2011). Breast-cancer early detection in low-income and middle-income countries: do what you can versus one size fits all. Lancet Oncol, 12, 306-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70273-4
- Harirchi I, Ghaemmaghami F, Karbakhsh M, Moghimi R, Mazaherie H (2005). Patient delay in women presenting with advanced breast cancer: an Iranian study. Public Health, 119, 885-891. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2004.11.005
- Harris R, Leininger L (1995). Clinical strategies for breast cancer screening: weighing and using the evidence. Ann Internal Med, 122, 539-547. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-122-7-199504010-00011
- Kaffashian F, Godward S, Davies T, et al (2003). Socioeconomic effects on breast cancer survival: proportion attribuTable to stage and morphology. Br J Cancer, 89,1693-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601339
- MacKinnon JA, Duncan RC, Huang Y, Lee DJ, Fleming LE, Voti L, et al (2007). Detecting an association between socioeconomic status and late stage breast cancer using spatial analysis and area-based measures. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 16, 756-62. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0392
- Montazeri A, Ebrahimi M, Mehrdad N, Ansari M, Sajadian A (2003). Delayed presentation in breast cancer: a study in Iranian women. BMC Women's Health, 3, 4. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-3-4
- Movahedi M, Haghighat S, Khayamzadeh M, Moradi A, Ghanbari-Motlagh A, Mirzaei H, et al (2012). Survival rate of breast cancer based on geographical variation in iran, a national study. Iran Red Crescent Med J, 14, 798-804. https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.3631
- Namiranian N, Moradi-Lakeh M, Razavi-Ratki K, Doayie M, Nojomi M (2014). Risk factors of breast cancer in the eastern mediterranean region: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9535-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9535
- Rastad H, Khanjani N, Khandani BK (2012). Causes of delay in seeking treatment in patients with breast cancer in Iran: a qualitative content analysis study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4511-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4511
- Richardson JL, Langholz B, Bernstein L, et al (1992). Stage and delay in breast cancer diagnosis by race, socioeconomic status, age and year. Br J Cancer, 65, 922-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1992.193
- RobinYabroff K, Gordis L (2003). Does stage at diagnosis influence the observed relationship between socioeconomic status and breast cancer incidence,case-fatality, and mortality? Soc Sci Med, 57, 2265-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(03)00100-X
- Roetzheim RG, Pal N, Tennant C, Voti L, Ayanian JZ, Schwabe A, et al (1999). Effects of health insurance and race on early detection of cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 91, 1409-15. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/91.16.1409
- Saadat M, Kohan L, Omidvari S (2008). Genetic polymorphisms of XRCC1 (codon 399 and susceptibility to breast cancer in Iranian women, a case-control study. Breast cancer res treat, 111, 549-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-007-9811-5
- Sharma K, Costas A, Shulman LN, Meara JG (2012). A systematic review of barriers to breast cancer care in developing countries resulting in delayed patient presentation. J Oncol, 2012, 121873.
- Uyeturk U, Tatli AM, Gucuk S, et al (2013). Risk factors for stage IV breast cancer at the time of presentation in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7445-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7445
- Yavari P, Mosavizadeh M, Sadrol-Hefazi B, Mehrabi Y (2005). Reproductive characteristics and the risk of breast cancer-a case-control study in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 370-5.
- Xing MY, Xu SZ, Shen P (2014). Effect of low-fat diet on breast cancer survival: a meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1141-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1141
- Advances in Optimal Detection of Cancer by Image Processing; Experience with Lung and Breast Cancers vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5613
- Impact of socio-economic position on cancer stage at presentation: Findings from a large hospital-based study in Germany vol.139, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.30212