- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
MicroRNA-328 Inhibits Proliferation of Human Melanoma Cells by Targeting TGFB2
- Li, Jing-Rong (Department of Dermatology, Guangzhou First People's Hospital) ;
- Wang, Jian-Qin (Department of Dermatology, Guangzhou First People's Hospital) ;
- Gong, Qing (Department of Biochemistry, Guangzhou Medical University) ;
- Fang, Rui-Hua (Department of Dermatology, Guangzhou First People's Hospital) ;
- Guo, Yun-Long (Department of Dermatology, Guangzhou First People's Hospital)
- Published : 2015.03.09
Some microRNAs (miRNAs) have been shown to act as oncogenes or tumor suppressor genes in human melanomas. miR-328 is upregulated in blood cells of melanoma patients compared to in healthy controls. This suggests a role for miR-328 in melanoma that warrants investigation. In this study, we demonstrated miR-328 levels to be dramatically decreased in human melanoma cell lines. Moreover, forced expression of miR-328 inhibited proliferation and induced G1-phase arrest of the SK-MEL-1 melanoma cell line. We identified TGFB2 as a direct target gene for miR-328 using a fluorescent reporter assay and western blotting. Levels of TGFB2 were dramatically increased in human melanoma cell lines and were inversely correlated with the miR-328 expression level. Our findings provide new insights into the mechanisms of human melanoma development, indicating that miR-328 has therapeutic potential for this disease.
- Delic S, Lottmann N, Stelzl A, Liesenberg F, Wolter M, Gotze S, et al. (2014). MiR-328 promotes glioma cell invasion via SFRP1-dependent Wnt-signaling activation. Neuro Oncol, 16, 179-90. https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/not164
- Di Leva G, Garofalo M, Croce CM (2014). MicroRNAs in cancer. Annu Rev Pathol, 9, 287-314. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-pathol-012513-104715
- Glud M, Gniadecki R (2013). MicroRNAs in the pathogenesis of malignant melanoma. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol, 27, 142-50. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-3083.2012.04579.x
- Gyrylova SN, Aksenenko MB, Gavrilyuk DV, et al (2014). Melanoma incidence mortality rates and clinico-pathological types in the Siberian area of the Russian Federation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2201-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2201
- He DM, Wu H, Wu XL, et al (2014). The gene expression patterns of BMPR2, EP300, TGFbeta2, and TNFAIP3 in B-lymphoma cells. Cancer Biol Med, 11, 202-07.
- Joko T, Shiraishi A, Akune Y, et al. (2013). Involvement of P38MAPK in human corneal endothelial cell migration induced by TGF-beta (2). Exp Eye Res, 108, 23-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exer.2012.11.018
- Leidinger P, Keller A, Borries A, et al (2010). High-throughput miRNA profiling of human melanoma blood samples. BMC Cancer, 10, 262. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-10-262
- Leung AK, Sharp PA (2006). Function and localization of microRNAs in mammalian cells. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol, 71, 29-38.
- Ling H, Fabbri M, Calin GA (2013). MicroRNAs and other noncoding RNAs as targets for anticancer drug development. Nat Rev Drug Discov, 12, 847-65. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd4140
- Liu R, Xie H, Luo C, et al. (2014). Identification of FLOT2 as a novel target for microRNA-34a in melanoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 18, 18.
- Nazari-Jahantigh M, Egea V, Schober A, Weber C (2014). MicroRNA-specific regulatory mechanisms in atherosclerosis. J Mol Cell Cardiol, S0022-2828, 342-3.
- Phuah NH, Nagoor NH (2014). Regulation of microRNAs by natural agents: new strategies in cancer therapies. Biomed Res Int, 804510, 1.
- Scola L, Di Maggio FM, Vaccarino L, et al (2014). Role of TGFbeta pathway polymorphisms in sporadic thoracic aortic aneurysm: rs900 TGF-beta2 is a marker of differential gender susceptibility. Mediators Inflamm, 165758, 24.
- Sethi A, Jain A, Zode GS, Wordinger RJ, Clark AF (2011). Role of TGFbeta/Smad signaling in gremlin induction of human trabecular meshwork extracellular matrix proteins. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 52, 5251-59. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.11-7587
- Siegel R, DeSantis C, Virgo K, et al (2012). Cancer treatment and survivorship statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 220-41. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21149
- Wotton D (2014). A CREB1-TGFbeta2 self-sustaining loop in glioblastoma. Cancer Discov, 4, 1123-25. https://doi.org/10.1158/2159-8290.CD-14-0861
- Wu Z, Sun L, Wang H, et al (2012). MiR-328 expression is decreased in high-grade gliomas and is associated with worse survival in primary glioblastoma. PLoS One, 7, 12.
- Xu XD, Wu XH, Fan YR, (2014). Exosome-derived microRNA-29c induces apoptosis of BIU-87 cells by down regulating BCL-2 and MCL-1. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3471-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3471
- Yang SF, Lee WJ, Tan P, et al (2014). Upregulation of miR-328 and inhibition of CREB-DNA-binding activity are critical for resveratrol-mediated suppression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and subsequent metastatic ability in human osteosarcomas. Oncotarget, 30, 30.
- Yao K, Ye PP, Tan J, Tang XJ, Shen Tu XC (2008). Involvement of PI3K/Akt pathway in TGF-beta2-mediated epithelial mesenchymal transition in human lens epithelial cells. Ophthalmic Res, 40, 69-76. https://doi.org/10.1159/000113884
- Yuan J, Zheng Z, Zheng Y, et al (2015). microRNA-328 is a favorable prognostic marker in human glioma via suppressing invasive and proliferative phenotypes of malignant cells. Int J Neurosci, 6, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.3844/amjnsp.2015.1.7
- Zhou Y, Zhang L, Fan J, et al (2015). Let-7b overexpression leads to increased radiosensitivity of uveal melanoma cells. Melanoma Res, 13, 13.
- Update on melanoma epigenetics vol.27, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1097/CCO.0000000000000217
- Melanoma Brain Metastasis: Mechanisms, Models, and Medicine vol.17, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17091468
- Dual targeting delivery of miR-328 by functionalized mesoporous silica nanoparticles for colorectal cancer therapy vol.13, pp.14, 2018, https://doi.org/10.2217/nnm-2017-0353
- miR-328 mediates a metabolic shift in colon cancer cells by targeting SLC2A1/GLUT1 vol.20, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-018-1836-1