- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Does treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection Reduce Gastric Precancerous Lesions?
- Mansour-Ghanaei, Fariborz (Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases Research Center, Guilan University of Medical Sciences (GUMS)) ;
- Joukar, Farahnaz (Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases Research Center, Guilan University of Medical Sciences (GUMS)) ;
- Mojtahedi, Kourosh (Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases Research Center, Guilan University of Medical Sciences (GUMS)) ;
- Sokhanvar, Homayoon (Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases Research Center, Guilan University of Medical Sciences (GUMS)) ;
- Askari, Kourosh (Department of Pathology, Guilan University of Medical Sciences (GUMS)) ;
- Shafaeizadeh, Ahmad (Department of Management of Medical Information Technology, Medical Engineering Faculty, Amirkabir University of Technology, Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.03.09
Background: Treatment of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) decreases the prevalence of gastric cancer, and may inhibit gastric precancerous lesions progression into gastric cancer. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of treatment on subsequent gastric precancerous lesion development. Materials and Methods: We prospectively studied 27 patients who had low grade dysplasia at the time of enrollment, in addition to dysplasia atrophic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia observed in all patients. All were prescribed quadruple therapy to treat H. Pylori infection for 10 days. Patients underwent endoscopy with biopsy at enrollment and then at follow up two years later. Biopsy samples included five biopsies from the antrum of lesser curvature, antrum of greater curvature, angularis, body of stomach and fundus. Results of these biopsies were compared before and after treatment. Results: Overall, the successful eradication rate after two years was 15/27 (55.6%). After antibiotic therapy, the number of patients with low grade dysplasia decreased significantly (p=0.03), also with reduction of the atrophic lesions (p=0.01), but not metaplasia. Conclusions: Treatment of H. pylori likely is an effective therapy in preventing the development of subsequent gastric premalignant lesions.
H. Pylori;treatment;gastric precancerous lesions
Supported by : Guilan University of Medical Sciences
- Atrkar-Roushan Z, Kazemnejad A, Mansour-Ghanaei F, et al (2013). Trend analysis of gastrointestinal cancer incidences in Guilan province: comparing rates over 15 years. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7587-93. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7587
- Chon I, Choi Ch, Shin Ch, et al (2013). Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on subsequent dysplasia development after endoscopic resection of gastric dysplasia. Korean J Gastroenterol, 61, 307-12. https://doi.org/10.4166/kjg.2013.61.6.307
- Correa P (1992). Human gastric carcinogenesis: a multistep and multifactorial process-first American Cancer Society award lecture on cancer epidemiology and prevention. Cancer Res, 52, 6735-40.
- Cuena BR (2002). Ranitidine-bismuth citrate versus omeprazole plus two antibiotics for seven days for the eradication of helicobacter pylori: a non-concluding clinical essay. Ann Med Interna, 19, 439-40
- Curado MP (2008). International agency for research on cancer, and World Health Organization cancer incidence in five continents.
- Dan YY, JBY S, Khay G, et al (2006). Endoscopic screening for gastric cancer. Clinic Gastroenterol Hepato, l4, 709-16.
- Dixon MF, Genta RM, Yardley JH, et al (1996). Classification and grading of gastritis: the updated Sydney system. Am J Surg Pathol, 20, 1161-81.
- EslickGD, Lim, Lynette LY, Julie E, et al (1999). Association of helicobacter pylori infection with gastric carcinoma: a meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol, 94, 2373-79. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.1999.01360.x
- Fallah M (2007). Cancer incidence in five provinces of Iran: Ardebil, Gilan, Mazandaran, Golestan and Kerman, 1996-2000. J University Tampere, 24, 14-27.
- Feldman M, Lawrence SF, Lawrence JB(2010). Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management, Expert Consult Premium Edition-Enhanced Online Features. Volume 1: Elsevier Health Sciences.
- Ferlay J, Shin, HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-17. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Fuccio L, Zagari RM, Minardi ME, et al (2007). Systematic review: Helicobacter pylori eradication for the prevention of gastric cancer. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 25, 133-41.
- Huang JQ, Sridhar S, Chen Y, et al (1998). Meta-analysis of the relationship between helicobacter pylori seropositivity and gastric cancer. Gastroenterol, 114, 1169-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(98)70422-6
- Kokkola A, Sipponen P, Rautelin H, et al (2002). The effect of helicobacter pylori eradication on the natural course of atrophic gastritis with dysplasia. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 16, 515-20. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2036.2002.01214.x
- Malekzadeh R, Mohamadnejad M, Siavoshi F, et al (2004). Treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection in Iran: low efficacy of recommended western regimens. Arch Iranian Med, 7, 1-8.
- Malfertheiner P, Sipponen P, Naumann M, et al (2005). Helicobacter pylori eradication has the potential to prevent gastric cancer: a state-of-the-art critique. Am j Gastroenterol, 100, 2100-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2005.41688.x
- Mansour-Ghanaei F, Sokhanvar H, Joukar F, et al (2012). Endoscopic findings in a mass screening program for gastric cancer in a high risk region-Guilan province of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 13, 1407-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1407
- Schlemper RJ, Riddell RH, Kato Y, et al (2000). The Vienna classification of gastrointestinal epithelial neoplasia. Gut, 47, 251-5. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.47.2.251
- Shafaghi A, Mansour-Ghanaei F, Joukar F,et al (2012). Serum gastrin and the pepsinogen I/II ratio as markers for diagnosis of premalignant gastric lesions. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3931-6.
- Shah MA, Khanin R, Tang L, et al (2011). Molecular classification of gastric cancer: a new paradigm. Clin Cancer Res, 17, 2693-01. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-2203
- Slpponen P, Kekki M, Haapakoski J, et al (1985). Gastric cancer risk in chronic atrophic gastritis: Statistical calculations of cross-sectional data. Int J Cancer, 35, 173-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910350206
- Rahman SM , Hasan M (2005). Helicobacter pylori infection and duodenal ulcer disease in bangladesh. J Banagladesh Coll Phys Surg, 23, 50-98.
- Treiber G, Ammon S, Malfertheiner P, et al (2002). Impact of furazolidone-based quadruple therapy for eradication of helicobacter pylori after previous treatment failures. Helicobacter, 7, 225-31. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5378.2002.00087.x
- NimishV , Megraud F,(2007). Eradication therapy for helicobacter pylori. Gastroenterol, 133, 985-01. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2007.07.008
- Van der Hulst RW, Van der Ende AD, Friedo W, et al (1997). Effect of helicobacter pylori eradication on gastritis in relation to cag A: a prospective 1-year follow-up study. Gastroenterol, 113, 25-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(97)70076-3
- Xia HH, Talley NJ (1997). Natural acquisition and spontaneous elimination of Helicobacter pylori infection: clinical implications. Am J Gastroenterol, 92, 1780-7.
- Xia HH, Talley NJ, Keane CT, et al (1997). Recurrence of Helicobacter pylori infection after successful eradication: nature, possible causes and potential preventive strategies. Digest Dis Sci, 42, 1821-34. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018827322470
- clinical isolates vol.54, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3109/13880209.2015.1126618
- The Development of Urease Inhibitors: What Opportunities Exist for Better Treatment of Helicobacter pylori Infection in Children? vol.4, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/children4010002
- Research Progress of Helicobacter pylori in Reversing Gastric Precancerous Lesions vol.08, pp.08, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12677/ACM.2018.88113