- Volume 16 Issue 4
Gemcitabine is an anti-cancer drug with clinically uses in the treatment of various neoplasms, including breast, ovarian, non-small cell lung, pancreaticand cervical cancers, T-cell malignancies, germ cell tumours, and hepatocellular carcinomas. However, it has also been reported to have many adverse effects. Naturally occurring anti-mutagenic effects, especially those of plant origin, have recently become a subject of intensive research. The present study was therefore designed to investigate the anti-mutagenic effects of Salvia merjamie (Family: Lamiaceae) plant extracts against the mutagenic effects of gemcitabine. The anti-mutagenic properties of Salvia merjamie were tested in Inbred SWR/J male and female mice bone marrow cells. The mice were treated in four groups; a control group treated with 30 mg/kg body weight gemcitabine and three treatment groups, each with 30 mg/kg body weight gemcitabine together with, respectively, 50, 100 and 150 mg/kg body weight Salvia merjamie extract. Chromosomal aberration and mitotic index assays were performed with the results demonstrating that Salvia merjamie extract protects bone marrow cells in mice against gemcitabine induced mutagenicity. This information can be used for the development of a potential therapeutic anti-mutagenic agents.
Gemcitabine;Salvia merjamie;chromosomal aberration;mitotic index
Supported by : King Saud University
- Agrawal RC, Pandey S (2009). Evaluation of anticarcinogenic and antimutagenic potential of Bauhinia variegata extract in Swiss albino mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 913-16.
- Al-Hawary, BA, Al-Saleh AA (1989). Cytogenetic effects of dacarbazine on mouse bone marrow cells in vivo. Mut Res, 223, 259-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1218(89)90054-2
- Al-Oqail MM, Farshori NN, Al-Sheddi ES, et al (2013). In vitro cytotoxic activity of seed oil of fenugreek against various cancer cell lines. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1829-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1829
- Al-Sheddi ES, Farshori NN, Al-Oqail MM, et al (2014). Cytotoxicity of Nigella sativa seed oil and extract against human lung cancer cell line. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 983-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.983
- Aydemir N, Celikler S, Bilaloglu R (2005). In vitro genotoxic effects of the anticancer drug gemcitabine in human lymphocytes. Mutat Res, 582, 35-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2004.12.013
- Aydemir N, Bilaloglu R (2003). Genotoxicity of two anticancer drugs, gemcitabine and topotecan, in mouse bone marrow in vivo. Mutat Res, 537, 43-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(03)00049-4
- Barlesi F, Villani P, Doddoli C, et al (2004). Gemcitabine-induced severe pulmonary toxicity. Fund Clin Pharmacol, 18, 85-91. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0767-3981.2003.00206.x
- Burris HA III, Moore MJ, Andersen J, et al (1997). Improvements in survival and clinical benefit with gemcitabine as firstline therapy for patients with advanced pancreas cancer: a randomized trial. J Clin Oncol, 15, 2403-13. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19126.96.36.1993
- Catimel G, Vermorken JB, Clavel M (1994). A phase II study of Gemcitabine (LY 188011) in patients with advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. EORTC early clinical trials group. Ann Oncol, 5, 543-47. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.annonc.a058910
- Chaudhary S (2001). Flora of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (Vascular Plants)," National Agriculture and Water Research Center, National Herbarium, Ministry of Agriculture and Water, Riyadh.
- Chi DC, Brogan F, Turenne I, et al (2012). Gemcitabine-induced pulmonary toxicity. Anticancer Res, 32, 4147-9.
- Crino L, Scagliotti GV, Ricci S, et al (1999). Gemcitabine and cisplatin versus mitomycin, ifosfamide, and cisplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: A randomized phase III study of the Italian lung cancer project. J Clin Oncol, 17, 3522-30. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19188.8.131.5222
- Crombag MR, de Vries Schultink AH, Schellens JH, et al (2014). Incidence of hematologic toxicity in older adults treated with gemcitabine or a gemcitabine-containing regimen in routine clinical practice: a multicenter retrospective cohort study. Drugs Aging, 31, 737-47. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40266-014-0207-z
- Dalbagni G, Russo P, Bochner B, et al (2006). Phase II trial of intravesical gemcitabine in bacille Calmette-Guerinrefractory transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. J Clin Oncol, 24, 2729-34. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.05.2720
- Einhorn LH, Stender MJ, Williams, SD (1999). Phase II trial of gemcitabine in refractory germ cell tumors. J Clin Oncol, 17, 509-11. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19184.108.40.2069
- Farshori NN, Al-Sheddi ES, Al-Oqail MM, et al (2013). Anticancer activity of Petroselinum sativum seed extracts on MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5719-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5719
- Farshori NN, Al-Sheddi ES, Al-Oqail MM, et al (2014). Cytotoxicity assessments of Portulaca oleracea and Petroselinum sativum seed extracts on human hepatocellular carcinoma cells (HepG2). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6633-38. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6633
- Fowler JD, Brown JA, Johnson KA, et al (2008). Kinetic investigation of the inhibitory effect of gemcitabine on DNA polymerization catalyzed by human mitochondrial DNA polymerase. J Biol Chem, 283, 15339-48. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M800310200
- Fracasso PM, Tan BR Jr, Grieff M, et al (1999). Membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis following gemcitabine and vinorelbine chemotherapy for peritoneal mesothelioma. J Natl Cancer Inst, 91, 1779-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/91.20.1779
- Ghannadi A, Samsam-Shariat SH, Moattar F (1999). Volatile constituents of the flower of Salvia hydrangea DC. Ex Benth Daru, 7, 23-5.
- Giri AK, Sharma A, Talukder G (1988). Relative efficancy of short term tests in detecting genotoxic effects of cadmium chloride in mice in vivo. Mutat Res, 206, 285-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1218(88)90173-5
- Hohmann J, Zupko I, Redei D, et al (1999). Protective effects of aerial parts of Salvia officinalis, Melissa officinalis, and Lavandula angustifolia and their constituents against enzyme-dependent and enzyme independent lipid peroxidation. Planta Med, 65, 576-78. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-960830
- Kamatou GPP, Makunga NP, Ramogola WPN, et al (2008). South African Salvia species: a review of biological activities and phytochemistry. J Ethnopharmacol, 119, 664-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2008.06.030
- Karmakar SR, Biswas SJ, Khuda-Bukhsh AR (2010). Anticarcinogenic potentials of a plant extract (Hydrastis canadensis): I. Evidence from in vivo studies in mice (Mus musculus). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 545-51.
- Kim SY, Shon YH, Lee JS, et al (2000). Antimutagenic activity of soybeans fermented with basidiomycetes in Ames/Salmonella test. Biotech Lett, 22, 1197-202. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005697515592
- Kubicka S, Rudolph KL, Tietze MK, et al (2001). Phase II study of systemic gemcitabine chemotherapy for advanced unresectable hepatobiliary carcinomas. Hepatogastroenterology, 48, 783-89.
- Kumar M, Meena P, Verma S, et al (2010). Anti-tumour, Antimutagenic and Chemomodulatory Potential of Chlorophytum borivilianum. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 327-34
- Lorusso D, Di Stefano A, Fanfani F, et al (2006). Role of gemcitabine in ovarian cancer treatment. Ann Oncol, 17, 188-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdj979
- Lu Y, Foo LY (2002). Polyphenolics of Salvia-a review. Phytochemistry, 59, 114-40.
- Matsuoka A, Hayashi M, Ishidate M (1979). Chromosomal aberration test on 29 chemicals combined with 5q mix in vitro. Mutat Res, 60, 277-90.
- Meena PD, Kaushik P, Shukla S, et al (2006).Anticancer and antimutagenic properties of Acacia nilotica (Linn.) on 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced skin papillomagenesis in swiss albino mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 627-32.
- Mohammed BM, Karim KJ, Yaseen NY (2009). Antimutagenic effects of Thymus syriacus extract against the genotoxicity of gemcitabine in male albino mice. The 2nd Kurdistan Conference on Biological Sciences J Duhok Univ, 12, 216-26.
- Morandi P (2006). Biological agents and gemcitabine in the treatment of breast cancer. Ann Oncol, 17, 177-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdj006
- Mozafarian V (1996). A dictionary of Iranian Plant Names (Latin English Persian). Farhang Mosafer Publication, Tehran.
- Mutch DG, Bloss JD (2003). Gemcitabine in cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 90, 8-15.
- Natarajan, A, Duivenvoorden W, Meijers M, et al (1993). Induction of mitotic aneuploidy using Chinese hamster primary embryonic cells. test results of 10 chemicals. Mutat Res, 287, 47-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0027-5107(93)90144-5
- Omar SH (2010). Oleuropein in olive and its pharmacological effects. Sci Pharm, 78, 133-54. https://doi.org/10.3797/scipharm.0912-18
- Ong T, Wong W, Stwart JD (1986). Chlorophyllin a potent antimutagen against environmental and dietary complex mixture, Nutr Res, 173, 111-5.
- Owen RW, Haubner R, Wurtele G, et al., (2004). Olives and olive oil in cancer prevention. Eur J Cancer Prev, 13, 319-26. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.cej.0000130221.19480.7e
- Patel VR, Patel PR, Kajal SS (2010). Antioxidant activity of some selected medicinal plants in western region of India. Advan Biol Res, 4, 23-6.
- Preston RJ, Dean BJ, Galloway S, et al (1987). Mammalian in vivo cytogenetic assays: analysis of chromosome aberrations in bone marrow cells. Mutat Res, 189, 157-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1218(87)90021-8
- Salem SD, Abou-Tarboush FM, Saeed NM, et al (2012). Involvement of p53 in gemcitabine mediated cytotoxicity and radiosensitivity in breast cancer cell lines. Gene, 498, 300-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2012.01.099
- Sallah S, Wan JY, Nguyen NP (2001). Treatment of refractory T-cell malignancies using gemcitabine. Br J Haematol, 113, 185-87. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.2001.02743.x
- Shubber EK, Juma AS (1999). Cytogenetic effects of plants extract of Urtica dioca on mouse somatic cells. Nucleus, 42, 182-87.
- Smalinskiene A, Craileviciute R, Lesaukaite V, et al (2005). Effect of cadmium and Zinc ions on mitotic activity and protein synthesis in mouse liver. Medicina (Kaunas), 41, 506-11.
- Sokal RR, Rohlf FJ (1981). Biometry: The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research". W.H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco, p. 859.
- Suprasert P, Cheewakriangkrai C, Manopunya M (2012). Outcome of single agent generic gemcitabine in platinum resistant ovarian cancer, fallopian tube cancer and primary peritoneal adenocarcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 517-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.517
- Taneja P, Arora A, Shukla Y (2003). Antimutagenic effects of black tea in the Salmonella typhimurium reverse mutation assay. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 4, 193-98.
- Xu RS (1990). Biological and application of Salvia miltiorrhiza Bunge. Science Press, Beijing, pp. 23-177.
- Yao CY, Huang XE, Tang JH, et al (2010). Clinical observations on safety of fixed dose rate gemcitabine chemotherapy by intravenous infusion. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 553-5.
- Zupko I, Hohmann J, Redei D, et al (2001). Antioxidant activities of leaves of Salvia species in enzyme-dependent and enzyme independent systems of lipid peroxidation and their phenolic constituents. Planta Med, 67, 366-8. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2001-14327