- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Serum Pleiotrophin Could Be an Early Indicator for Diagnosis and Prognosis of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Du, Zi-Yan (Department of Respiratory Medicine, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University) ;
- Shi, Min-Hua (Department of Respiratory Medicine, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University) ;
- Ji, Cheng-Hong (Department of Respiratory Medicine, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University) ;
- Yu, Yong (Department of Respiratory Medicine, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University)
- Published : 2015.03.09
Aims: Pleiotrophin (PTN), an angiogenic factor, is associated with various types of cancer, including lung cancer. Our aim was to investigate the possibility of using serum PTN as an early indicator regarding disease diagnosis, classification and prognosis, for patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Methods: Significant differences among PTN levels in patients with small cell lung cancer (SCLC, n=40), NSCLC (n=136), and control subjects with benign pulmonary lesions (n=21), as well as patients with different pathological subtypes of NSCLC were observed. Results: A serum level of PTN of 300.1 ng/ml, was determined as the cutoff value differentiating lung cancer patients and controls, with a sensitivity and specificity of 78.4% and 66.7%, respectively. Negative correlations between serum PTN level and pathological differentiation level, stage, and survival time were observed in our cohort of patients with NSCLC. In addition, specific elevation of PTN levels in pulmonary tissue in and around NSCLC lesions in comparison to normal pulmonary tissue obtained from the same subjects was also observed (n=2). Conclusion: This study suggests that the serum PTN level of patients with NSCLC could be an early indicator for diagnosis and prognosis. This conclusion should be further assessed in randomized clinical trials.
Pleiotrophin;non-small cell lung cancer;diagnosis;prognosis
Supported by : hospital of Soochow University
- Czubayko F, Riegel AT, Wellstein A (1994). Ribozyme-targeting elucidates a direct role of pleiotrophin in tumor growth. J Biol Chem, 269, 21358-63.
- Englund C, Birve A, Falileeva L, et al (2006). Miple1 and miple2 encode a family of MK/PTN homologues in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genes Evol, 216, 10-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00427-005-0025-8
- Grzelinski M, Urban-Klein B, Martens T, et al (2006). RNA interference-mediated gene silencing of pleiotrophin through polyethylenimine-complexed small interfering RNAs in vivo exerts antitumoral effects in glioblastoma xenografts. Hum Gene Ther, 17, 751-66. https://doi.org/10.1089/hum.2006.17.751
- Hampton BS, Marshak DR, Burgess WH et al (1992). Structural and functional characterization of full-length heparinbinding growth associated molecule. Mol Biol Cell, 3, 85-93. https://doi.org/10.1091/mbc.3.1.85
- Jager R, Noll K, Havemann K, et al (1997). Differential expression and biological activity of the heparin-binding growth-associated molecule (HB-GAM) in lung cancer cell lines. Int J Cancer, 73, 537-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19971114)73:4<537::AID-IJC14>3.0.CO;2-6
- Jager R, List B, Knabbe C, et al (2002). Serum levels of the angiogenic factor pleiotrophin in relation to disease stage in lung cancer patients. Br J Cancer, 86, 858-63. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600202
- Ji ZQ, Huang XE, Wu XY, et al (2014). Safety of Brucea javanica and cantharidin combined with chemotherapy for treatment of NSCLC patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15 (20), 8603-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8603
- Kovesdi I, Fairhurst JL, Kretschmer PJ, et al (1990). Heparinbinding neurotrophic factor (HBNF) and MK, members of a new family of homologous, developmentally regulated proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 172, 850-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-291X(90)90753-A
- Kadomatsu K, Muramatsu T, et al (2004). Midkine and pleiotrophin in neural development and cancer. Cancer Lett, 204, 127-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(03)00450-6
- Lu KV, Jong KA, Kim GY, et al (2005). Differential induction of glioblastoma migration and growth by two forms of pleiotrophin. J Biol Chem, 280, 26953-64. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M502614200
- Laaroubi K, Vacherot F, Delbe J, et al (1995). Biochemical and mitogenic properties of the heparin-binding growth factor HARP. Progress in growth factor research, 6, 25-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2235(95)00002-X
- Milner PG, Li YS, Hoffman RM, et al (1989). A novel 17 kD heparin-binding growth factor (HBGF-8) in bovine uterus: purification and N-terminal amino acid sequence. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 165, 1096-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-291X(89)92715-0
- National Office for Cancer Prevention and Control NCfCR, Disease Prevention and Control Bureau, Ministry of Health (2010). Chinese Cancer Mortality Report: Third National Retrospect Spot-check of Death-Causation. Beijing, China: People's Medical Publishing House.
- Organization WH. Cancer: fact sheet no et al (2014). 297. Available from: http: //www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297/en.
- Pruss-Ustun A, Corvalan C et al (2006). Preventing Disease Through Healthy Environments. In: Organization WH, editor. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Papadimitriou E, Mikelis C, Lampropoulou E, et al (2009). Roles of pleiotrophin in tumor growth and angiogenesis. Eur Cytokine Netw, 20, 180-90.
- Schulte AM, Lai S, Kurtz A, et al (1996). Human trophoblast and choriocarcinoma expression of the growth factor pleiotrophin attributable to germ-line insertion of an endogenous retrovirus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 93, 14759-64. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.93.25.14759
- Souttou B, Juhl H, Hackenbruck J, et al (1998). Relationship between serum concentrations of the growth factor pleiotrophin and pleiotrophin-positive tumors. J Natl Cancer Inst, 90, 1468-73. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/90.19.1468
- Tsutsui J, Uehara K, Kadomatsu K, et al (1991). A new family of heparin-binding factors: strong conservation of midkine (MK) sequences between the human and the mouse. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 176, 792-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(05)80255-4
- Xie NN, Hu L, Li TH (2014). Lung cancer risk prediction method based on feature selection and artificial neural network. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15 (23), 10539-42.
- Yu Y, Shi M-H, Xu X, et al (2010). Construction of pleiotrophin specific lentivirus RNA vector and it effect on the growth and apoptosis of human small cell lung cancer cell line H446. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi, 33, 289-94.
- Yu Y, Shi M-H, Xu X, et al (2010). Effects of pleiotrophin gene silencing on the tumor growth related gene expression in human small cell lung cancer cell line H466. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 32, 405-9.
- Zhang H, Cai B et al (2003). The impact of tobacco on lung health in China. Respirology, 8, 17-21. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1843.2003.00433.x
- Comparison of Serum MicroRNA21 and Tumor Markers in Diagnosis of Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer vol.2016, pp.1875-8630, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/3823121
- Tumour-associated macrophages secrete pleiotrophin to promote PTPRZ1 signalling in glioblastoma stem cells for tumour growth vol.8, pp.2041-1723, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms15080