- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Epidemiology and Trend of Cancers in the Province of Kerman: Southeast of Iran
- Keyghobadi, Naeimeh (Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Faculty of Health, Sahib Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rafiemanesh, Hosein (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mohammadian-Hafshejani, Abdollah (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Enayatrad, Mostafa (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Salehiniya, Hamid (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.03.09
Background: According to increase in elderly populations, and change in lifestyle and cancer-causing behavior, the global burden of cancer is increasing. For prevention and control of disease, knowledge of population statistics of cancers and their trends is essential. This study aimed to investigate the epidemiology and trends of cancer in the province of Kerman: southeast of Iran. Materials and Methods: This analytical and cross-sectional study was carried out based on cancer registry data at the Disease Management Center of the Health Ministry from 2004 to 2009 in the province of Kerman in Iran. Common cancers were defined as the number of reported cases and standardized incidence rates. To compute the annual percentage change (APC), joinpoint 22.214.171.124 software was applied. Results: Of 10,595 registered cases, 45.3% (4802 cases) were in women and 56.7% (5,793 cases) occurred in men. The standardized incidence rates for both females and males were increasing during the six years studied. The most common cancers in both sexes during six years of studied were skin (13.4%), breast (9.35%), bladder (7.8%), stomach (7.45%), leukemia (7.05%), colorectal(5.57%), lung(4.92%), trachea(3.51%) and prostate(2.48%). Conclusions: Our findings revealed that the cancer incidence is demonstrating increasing trends in both sexes in the province of Kerman. This may be because of changes in lifestyle, increasing exposure to risk factors for cancer and increase of life expectancy. If this is the case, increasing public awareness of cancer risk factors is a high priority, together with introduction of large-scale screening techniques.
- Abdoli G, Bottai M, Moradi T (2014). Cancer mortality by country of birth, sex and socioeconomic position in Sweden, 1961-2009. PloS one, 9, 93174. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0093174
- Afsharfard A, Mozaffar M, Orang E, Tahmasbpour E (2013). Trends in epidemiology, clinical and histopathological characteristics of breast cancer in Iran: results of a 17 year study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6905-11. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6905
- Amoori N, Mirzaei M, Cheraghi M (2014). Incidence of cancers in Kuzestan province of Iran: Trend from 2004 to 2008. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8345-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8345
- Atrkar-Roushan Z, Kazemnejad A, Mansour-Ghanaei F, et al (2013) Trend analysis of gastrointestinal cancer Incidences in Guilan province: comparing rates over 15 years. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7587-93. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7587
- Eatemed K, Gooya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2008). Iranian Annual National Cancer Registration Report. Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Center for Disease Control and Prevention (In Persian).
- Farahmand M, Almasi-Hashiani A (2013). Epidemiology of bladder cancers in fars province, Southern Iran (2003-2008). J Kerman Univ Medical Sciences, 20, 387-394.
- Fateh, Mansooreh, Mohammad Hassan Emamian (2013). Cancer incidence and trend analysis in Shahroud, Iran, 2000-2010. Iranian J Cancer Prev, 6, 85-94.
- Fazeli, Pourhoseingholi MA, Vahedi M, et al (2013). Leukemia cancer mortality trend in Iran, from 1995 to 2004. Iranian J Cancer Prev, 6, 170-73.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA: Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kolahdoozan S, Sadjadi A, Radmard A, et al (2010). Five common cancers in Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 143-146.
- Mehdi E, Vahdaninia M, Azin A, et al (2011). Survey of Iranian people about the prevalence of smoking using. Payesh J, 10, 365-72.
- Mohafhegh F, Hamta A, Shariatzadeh SMA (2008). The study of cancer incidence and cancer registration in Markazi province between 2001-2006 and comparison with national statistics, Iran. Arak Medical University J, 11, 84-93.
- Mokarian F, Ramezani MA, Heydari K, Tabatabaeian M, Tavazohi H (2011). Epidemiology and trend of cancer in Isfahan 2005-2010. J Res Med Sci, 16, 1228-33.
- Moradpour F, Fatemi Z (2013). Estimation of the projections of the incidence rates, mortality and prevalence due to common cancer site in Isfahan, Iran. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 3581-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3581
- Nejad FN, Ramezani Daryasari R, Ghafari F (2009). Epidemiology of cancer in Mazandaran province 2006. J Mazandaran Univ Medical Sciences, 19, 61-65.
- Rahimi F, Heidari M (2012). Time trend analysis of stomach cancer incidence in the West of Iran. J Health Dev, 1, 100-11.
- Roshandel G, Sadjadi A, Aarabi M, et al (2012). Cancer incidence in Golestan province: report of an ongoing population-based cancer registry in Iran between 2004 and 2008. Arch Iran Med, 15, 196-200.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2013). Cancer statistics, 2013. CA: Cancer J Clin, 63, 11-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21166
- Taheri NS, Bakhshandehnosrat S, Tabiei M, et al (2012). Epidemiological pattern of breast cancer in Iranian women: is there an ethnic disparity. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4517-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4517
- Vakili M, Pirdehghan A, Adimi M, Sadeghian M, Akhondi M (2014). Epidemiology and trend of cancer in yazd, a central province of Iran, 2005-2009. J Res Hlth Sci, 14, 210-3.
- Zeinalzadeh AH, et al (2012). Pattern of age distribution of different cancers in East Azerbaijan province, Iran. J Kerman Univ Medical Sciences, 19, 308-386.
- Changing Trends of Types of Skin Cancer in Iran vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4955
- Epidemiology and Trends in Incidence of Kidney Cancer in Iran vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5859
- Incidence and Mortality of Breast Cancer and their Relationship to Development in Asia vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6081
- Incidence, Trends and Epidemiology of Cancers in North West of Iran vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7189
- Application of a Network Scale-up Method to Estimate the Size of Population of Breast, Ovarian/Cervical, Prostate and Bladder Cancers vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3273
- Incidence and Mortality of Breast Cancer and their Relationship with the Human Development Index (HDI) in the World in 2012 vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8439
- Epidemiology, Incidence and Mortality of Bladder Cancer and their Relationship with the Development Index in the World vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.381
- Epidemiology Characteristics and Trends of Lung Cancer Incidence in Iran vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.557
- Prostate Cancer in Iran: Trends in Incidence and Morphological and Epidemiological Characteristics vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.839
- Breast Cancer in Iranian Woman: Incidence by Age Group, Morphology and Trends vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1393
- Incidence and mortality of kidney cancers, and human development index in Asia; a matter of concern vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15171/jnp.2017.06
- Cancer incidence in northern Thailand: Results from six population-based cancer registries 1993-2012 vol.142, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.31203
- Erythrocyte Membrane Unsaturated (Mono and Poly) Fatty Acids Profile in Newly Diagnosed Basal Cell Carcinoma Patients vol.7, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7762/cnr.2018.7.1.21
- The Effect of Educational Intervention Based on Health Belief Model and Social Support on Promoting Skin Cancer Preventive Behaviors in a Sample of Iranian Farmers pp.1543-0154, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-017-1317-1
- Comparison of interleukin 18 gene expression and its serum level between Iranian colorectal cancer (CRC) patients and healthy people pp.1336-9563, 2018, https://doi.org/10.2478/s11756-018-0153-z
- The incidence of kidney cancer in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis vol.8, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1051/bmdcn/2018080209