- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Chemopreventive Effects of Hydatid Disease on Experimental Breast Cancer
- Altun, Ahmet (Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University) ;
- Saraydin, Serpil Unver (Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University) ;
- Soylu, Sinan (Department of General Surgery, SIVAS Hospital) ;
- Inan, Deniz Sahin (Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University) ;
- Yasti, Cinar (Department of General Surgery, Numune Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Ozdenkaya, Yasar (Department of General Surgery, Medipol University, Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Koksal, Binnur (Department of Genetics, Faculty of Science, Bartin University) ;
- Duger, Cevdet (Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University) ;
- Isbir, Cemil (Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University) ;
- Turan, Mustafa (Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University)
- Published : 2015.03.09
Breast cancer is one of the most common and letal cancers in all over the world. Since there have been significant improvements in treatment of breast cancer, there is still a big need for alternative approaches. In this study, we aimed to investigate protective role of hydatid disease against breast cancer. Twenty Wistar rats were divided into two groups of 10 rats each Group I (control) and Group II. In Group II intraperitoneal hydatidosis was performed. Then DMBA was applied to mammary tissues of all rats. Immunohistochemistry studies for Ki-67 and S-100 in the tumoral tissue sections of DMBA induced mammary tumor in rats were performed. TUNEL Assay was used to detect apoptotic cells of tumoral tissue. In vivo anticancer activity testing was carried out by preventing the tumorigenesis by DMBA in mammary tissue of rats. The expressions of the Ki-67 and S-100 protein decreased in rats who had Hydatid Disease (HD) (Group II), compared with the control rats (Group I). TUNEL positive cells were higher in rats with HD (Group II), compared with the control rats (Group I). In vivo studies showed that HD prevented the tumorigenesis by DMBA in mammary tissue of rats with 50 percent.In the light of the evidence the present study showed that HD may have chemopreventive effects on DMBA induced breast cancer.
Apoptosis;breast cancer;chemoprevention;hydatid disease
- Akgul H, Tez M, Unal AE, et al (2003). Echinococcus against cancer: why not? Cancer, 98, 1999-2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11752
- Alvarez Errico D, Medeiros A, Miguez M, et al (2001). O-glycosylation in Echinococcus granulosus: identification and characterization of the carcinoma-associated Tn antigen. Exp Parasitol, 98, 100-9. https://doi.org/10.1006/expr.2001.4620
- An WX, Fan YX, Liang XH, Liu H (2014). Changes in median ages at death from selected cancer types in relation to HLADRB1/DQB1. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4125-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4125
- Donato R (2003). Intracellular and extracellular roles of S100 proteins. Microsc Res Tech, 60, 540-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/jemt.10296
- Ghaderi A, Yeganeh F, Kalantari T, et al (2004). Cytotoxic T lymphocyte antigen-4 gene in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 86, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:BREA.0000032918.89120.8e
- Ghaderi A (2011). CTLA4 gene variants in autoimmunity and cancer: a comparative review. Iran J Immunol, 8,127-49.
- Han CP, Kok LF, Wang PH, et al (2009). Scoring of p16INK4a immunohistochemistry based on independent nuclear staining alone can sufficiently distinguish between endocervical and endometrial adenocarcinomas in a tissue microarray study. Modern Pathology, 22, 797-806. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2009.31
- Hunter CA, Yu D, Gee M, et al (2001). Cutting edge: systemic inhibition of angiogenesis underlies resistance to tumors during acute toxoplasmosis. J Immunol, 166, 5878-81. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.166.10.5878
- Kalyoncu AF, Emri AS, Akhan O, et al (1989). Asagiesence koyu Beysehir Konya'da hidatik kist hastaligi prevalans calismasi. In: Baris I., Sahin A, editors. Hidatik kist hastaligi ve Turkiye'deki konumu Ankara: Turkiye Akciger Hastaliklari Vakfi Yayini, 90-8.
- Karadayi S, Arslan S, Sumer Z, et al (2013). Does hydatid disease have protective effects against lung cancer? Mol Biol Rep, 40, 4701-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-013-2565-8
- Maurer M, Loserth S, Kolb-Maurer A, et al (2002). A polymorphism in the human cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen 4 (CTLA4) gene (exon 1 +49) alters T-cell activation. Immunogenetics, 54: 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00251-002-0429-9
- Mezioug D, Touil-Boukoffa C (2009). Cytokine profile in human hydatidosis: Possible role in the immunosurveillance of patients infected with Echinococcus granulosus. Parasite, 16, 57. https://doi.org/10.1051/parasite/2009161057
- Minhas S, Bhalla S, Shokeen Y, et al (2014). Lack of any association of the CTLA-4 +49 G/A polymorphism with breast cancer risk in a North Indian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2035-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2035
- Nonaka D, Chiriboga L, Rubin BP (2008). Differential expression of S100 protein subtypes in malignant melanoma, and benign and malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors. J Cutan Pathol, 35, 1014-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0560.2007.00953.x
- Pfister M, Gottstein B, Kretschmer R, Cerny T, Cerny A (2001). Elevated carbohydrate antigen 19-9 (CA 19-9) in patients with Echinococcus infection. Clin Chem Lab Med, 39, 527-30.
- Reiman JM, Kmieciak M, Manjili MH, Knutson KL (2007). Tumor immunoediting and immunosculpting pathways to cancer progression. Semin Cancer Biol, 17, 275-8.
- Rosenberg SA (2001). Progress in human tumour immunology and immunotherapy. Nature, 411, 380-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/35077246
- Scholzen T, Gerdes J (2000). The Ki-67 protein: from the known and the unknown. J Cell Physiol, 182, 311-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4652(200003)182:3<311::AID-JCP1>3.0.CO;2-9
- Smyth MJ, Godfrey DI, Trapani JA (2001). A fresh look at tumor immunosurveillance and immunotherapy. Nat Immunol, 2, 293-99 https://doi.org/10.1038/86297
- Springer GF (1997). Immunoreactive T and Tn epitopes in cancer diagnosis, prognosis, and immunotherapy. J Mol Med, 75, 594-602. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001090050144
- Sun T, Hu Z, Shen H, Lin D (2009). Genetic polymorphisms in cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen 4 and cancer: the dialectical nature of subtle human immune dysregulation. Cancer Res, 69, 6011-4.
- Sun T, Zhou Y, Yang M, et al (2008). Functional genetic variations in cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen 4 and susceptibility to multiple types of cancer. Cancer Res, 68, 7025-34. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-08-0806
- Swamy ST, Radha CA, Kathirvel M, Arun G, Subramanian S (2014). Feasibility study of deep inspiration breath-hold based volumetric modulated arc therapy for locally advanced left sided breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9033-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.9033
- Van Knapen F (1980). Echinococcus granulosus infection and malignancy. BMJ, 281, 195-96. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.281.6234.195
- Wang L, Li D, Fu Z, et al (2007). Association of CTLA-4 gene polymorphisms with sporadic breast cancer in Chinese Han population. BMC Cancer, 7, 173. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-7-173
- Yong WK, Heath DD, Savage T (1979). Possible antigenic similarity between pulmonary carcinoma and cysts of Echinococcus granulosus. Br Med J, 1463-4.
- Echinococcus granulosus: Cure for Cancer Revisited vol.5, pp.2296-858X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmed.2018.00060