- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Changes in Planktonic Communities and Environmental Factors between Open Versus Closed Artificial Marine Microcosms
개방형 및 폐쇄형 인공해양소형생태계에서 미소생물상 및 수환경의 변화
- Jung, Seung Won (Library of Marine Samples, Korea Institute of Ocean Science & Technology) ;
- Kang, Don-Hyug (Maritime Security Research Center, Korea Institute of Ocean Science & Technology)
- Received : 2015.04.03
- Accepted : 2015.11.23
- Published : 2015.12.31
To understand differences of environmental factors and planktonic communities in closed (CS) versus open (OS) enclosed experimental systems, we performed a study on a 100-L indoor-type artificial marine microcosm. For environmental factors, including water temperature, dissolved inorganic phosphorus, and dissolved silica, there were no significant differences between CS and OS; however, salinity was higher in CS than that of OS due to the evaporation effect. The concentration of dissolved oxygen and dissolved inorganic nitrogen was lower in CS than in OS. The abundance of phytoplankton was lower in CS than in OS. However, abundance of autotrophic nanoflagellates and heterotrophic bacteria varied inversely with that of phytoplankton abundances. In particular, the abundance of heterotrophic nanoflagellates and ciliates increased with bacterial growth after a time lag. Therefore, environmental factors and planktonic communities in CS gradually changed over time and characterized a different artificial ecosystem than in OS.
Grant : 유해적조 실시간 탐지 및 분석을 위한 상용 시스템 개발 및 사업화, USCG Phase II 시험, 평가 및 인증시스템 구축, 해양 유해조류 자동판별시스템 개발 및 방제적용기술 타당성 분석
Supported by : 한국해양수산진흥개발원
- Azov Y. 1986. Seasonal patterns of phytoplankton productivity and abundance in near-shore oligothrophic waters of the Levant Basin (Mediterranean). J. Plankton Res. 8:41-53. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/8.1.41
- Baek SH, M Son, SW Jung, DH Na, H Cho, M Yamaguchi, SW Kim and YO Kim. 2014. Enhanced species-specific chemical control of harmful and non-harmful algal bloom species by the thiazolidinedione derivative TD49. J. Appl. Phycol. 26:311-321. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-013-0046-z
- Berman T, DW Townsend, SZ El Sayed, CC Trees and Y Azov. 1984. Optical transparency, chlorophyll and primary productivity in the Eastern Mediterranean near the Israeli coast. Oceanol. Acta. 7:367-372.
- Bonin DJ, MC Bonin and T Berman. 1989. Mise en evidence experimentale des facteurs nutritifs limitants de la production du micro-nanoplancton et de l'ultraplancton dans une eau cotiere de la Mediterranee orientale (Haifa Israel). Aquat. Sci. 51:129-159. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00879299
- Caron DA. 1983. Technique for enumeration of heterotrophic and phototrophic nanoplankton, using epifluorescence microscopy, and comparison with other procedures. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 46:491-498.
- Grice GM and MR Reeve. 1982. Introduction and description of experimental ecosystems. pp. 1-9. In marine mesocosms. Biological and chemical research in experimental ecosystem (Grice GD and MR Reeve eds.). Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Herut B, A Almogi-Labin, N Jannink and I Gertman. 2000. The seasonal dynamics of nutrient and chlorophyll a concentrations on the SE Mediterranean shelf-slope. Oceanol. Acta. 23:771-781. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0399-1784(00)01118-X
- Howarth RW. 1988. Nutrient limitation of net primary production in marine ecosystems. Ann. Rev. Ecol. 19:89-110. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.19.110188.000513
- Humphrey GF and SW Jeffrey. 1997. Tests of accuracy of spectrophotometric equations for the simultaneous determination of chlorophylls a, b, c1 and c2. pp. 616-621. In Phytoplankton pigments in oceanography: guidelines to modern methods (Monographs on oceanographic methodology) (Jeffrey SW, RFC Mantoura and SW Wright eds.). UNESCO pub, Paris.
- Jung SW, YH Kang, SH Baek, D Lim and MS Han. 2013. Biological control of Stephanodiscus hantzschii (Bacillariophyceae) blooms in a field mesocosm by the immobilized algicidal bacterium Pseudomonas fluorescens HYK0210-SK09. J. Appl. Phycol. 25:41-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-012-9836-y
- Jung SW, YH Kang, T Katano, BH Kim, SY Cho, JH Lee, YO Kim and MS Han. 2010a. Testing additions of Pseudomonas fluorescens HYK0210-SK09 to mitigate blooms of the diatom Stephanodiscus hantzschii in small- and large-scale mesocosms. J. Appl. Phycol. 22:409-419. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-009-9473-2
- Jung SW, BH Kim, T Katano, DS Kong and MS Han. 2008. Pseudomonas fluorescens HYK0210-SK09 offers species-specific biological control of winter algal blooms caused by freshwater diatom Stephanodiscus hantzschii. J. Appl. Microbiol. 105:186-195. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2008.03733.x
- Jung SW, OY Kwon, CK Joo, JH Kang, M Kim, WJ Shim and YO Kim. 2012. Stronger impact of dispersant plus crude oil on natural plankton assemblages in short-term marine mesocosms, J. Hazard. Mater. 217-218:338-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2012.03.034
- Jung SW, D Lim, HH Shin, DH Jeong and YH Roh. 2011. Relationship between physic-chemical factors and chlorophyll-a concentration in surface water of Masan Bay: Bidaily monitoring data. Korean J. Environ. Biol. 29:98-106.
- Jung SW, JS Park, OY Kown, JH Kang, WJ Shim and YO Kim. 2010b. Effects of crude oil on marine microbial communities in short term outdoor microcosms. J. Microbiol. 48:594-600. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-010-0199-2
- Jung SW, SM Yun, JW Yoo, Z Li, PG Jang, D Lim, YC Lee, HU Lee, TK Lee, J Heo, JH Lee and MS Han. 2015. Can the algicidal material Ca-aminoclay be harmful when applied to a natural ecosystem? An assessment using microcosms. J. Hazard. Mater. 298:178-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2015.05.012
- Kang JH and WS Kim. 2006. The effect of enhanced zooplankton on the temporal variation of plankton in a mesocosm. J. Ocean Eng. Technol. 9:109-119.
- Kang JH, WS Kim, K Shin, M Chang and KC Hwang. 2005. The effect of enhanced nitrate input on the temporal variation of the plankton community in a mesocosm. Ocean Polar Res. 27:341-349. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2005.27.3.341
- Kim YT, YH Jeong, YJ Chae, CW Rhee, SY Kim, KW Choi and JS Yang. 2006. Variation of water qualities due to freshwater introduction to tidal flat A mesocosm study. J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr. 11:49-67.
- Kim WS. 2001. Application of enclosed experimental ecosystem to the study on marine ecosystem. Korean J.Environ. Biol. 19:183-194.
- Kimor B, T Berman and A Schneller. 1987. Phytoplankton assemblages in the deep chlorophyll maximum layers off the Mediterranean Coast of Israel. J. Plankton Res. 9:433-443. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/9.3.433
- KORDI. 2000. Mesocosm study on the fate of organic pollutants (BSPE 99765-00-1251-3). Research report of Korea Ocean Research & Development Institute.
- Kress N and B Herut. 2001. Spatial and seasonal evolution of dissolved oxygen and nutrients in the Southern Levantine Basin (Eastern Mediterranean Sea). Chemical characterization of the water masses and inferences on the N : P ratios. Deep-Sea Res. PT. I. 48:2347-2372. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0637(01)00022-X
- Lalli CM. 1990. Enclosed experimental marine ecosystems: a review and recommendation - a contribution of the scientific committee on oceanic research working group 85. Coastal and Estuarine Studies. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Porter KG and YS Feig. 1980. The use of DAPI for identification and counting aquatic microflora. Limnol. Oceanogr. 25:943-948. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1980.25.5.0943
- Yang JS and YH Jeong. 2011. Mesocosm as a scientific tool for marine science: Focused on the soft-bottom environment. J. Korean Soc. Mar. Environ. Eng. 14:93-106. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2011.14.2.093