- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Inhibition of yeast Candida growth by protein antibiotic produced from Pseudomonas fluorescens BB2
Pseudomonas fluorescens BB2 균주가 생산하는 단백질성 항생물질에 의한 효모 Candida 생육 억제
- Ahn, Kyung-Joon (Department of Biology Education, Seowon University)
- 안경준 (서원대학교 생물교육과)
- Received : 2015.11.23
- Accepted : 2015.12.24
- Published : 2015.12.31
The bacterial strain that was isolated from chinese cabbage rhizosphere, showed inhibition of yeast growth. This strain was identified as Pseudomonas fluorescens BB2 by API 20NE test and 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis. P. fluorescens BB2 strain produced antibiotics against yeast as a secondary metabolite effectively when the culture was carried out in YM medium with 3% glucose at
Pseudomonas fluorescens;antibiotic;antimicrobial peptide;siderophore;yeast
- Arima, K., Imanaka, H., Kousaka, M., Fukuta, A., and Tamura, G. 1964. Pyrrolnitrin, a new antibioticsubstance, produced by Pseudomonas. Agric. Biol. Chem. 28, 575-576. https://doi.org/10.1080/00021369.1964.10858275
- Bahar, A.A. and Ren, D. 2013. Antimicrobial peptides. Pharmaceuticals 6, 1543-1575. https://doi.org/10.3390/ph6121543
- Baron, S.S. and Rowe, J.J. 1981. Antibiotic action of pyocyanin. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 20, 814-820. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.20.6.814
- Benincasa, M., Scocchi, M., Pacor, S., and Tossi, A. 2006. Fungicidal activity of five cathelicidin peptides against clinically isolated yeasts. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 58, 950-959. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkl382
- Dowling, D.N. and O'Gara, F. 1992. Metabolites of Pseudomonas involved in the biocontrol of plant disease. Trends Biotechnol. 12, 133-141.
- Flaishman, N.A., Eyal, Z., Zilberstein, A., Voisard, C., and Haas, D. 1996. Suppression of Septoria tritici blotch and leaf rust by recombinant cyanide-producing strains of Pseudomonas putida. Mol. Plant-Microbe Interact. 9, 642-645. https://doi.org/10.1094/MPMI-9-0642
- Fuller, A.T., Banks, G.T., Mellows, G., Barrow, K.D., Woodford, M., and Chain, E.B. 1971. Pseudomonic acid: an antibiotic produced by Pseudomonas fluorescens. Nature 234, 416-417. https://doi.org/10.1038/234416a0
- Howell, C.R. and Stipanovic, R.D. 1980. Suppression of Pythium ultimum-induced damping-off of cotton seedlings by Pseudomonas fluorescens and its antibiotics, pyoluteorin. Phytopathology 70, 712-715. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-70-712
- Jung, T.K. and Song, H.G. 2015. Isolation and characterization of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens TK3 inhibiting causative bacteria of atrophic rhinitis and fowl typhoid. Korean J. Microbiol. 51, 177-180. https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2015.5007
- Kim, Y.H. 2013. Inhibition of Candida albicans biofilm formation by Coptidis chinensis through damaging the integrity of cell membrane. Korean J. Microbiol. 49, 17-23. https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2013.002
- Kim, J.M., Lee, M.W., and Han, Y.H. 1998. Antifungal activity of Pseudomonas sp. DGUM 5051 against apple bitter-rot causing fungus, Glomerella cingulata. Korean J. Mycol. 26, 458-465.
- Lee, E.T. and Kim, S.D. 2000. Selection and antifungal activity of antagonistic bacterium Pseudomonas sp. 2112 against red pepper rotting Phytophthora capsici. Korean J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 28, 334-340.
- Lee, H.S. and Kim, Y.H. 2014. Antifungal activity of Rheum undulatum on Candida albicans by the changes in membrane permeability. Korean J. Microbiol. 50, 360-367. https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2014.4085
- Lim, H.S., Kim, Y.S., and Kim, S.D. 1991. Pseudomonas stuzeri YPL-1 genetic transformation and antifungal mechanism against Fusarium solani, an agent of plant root rot. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 57, 510-516.
- Linda, S.T., David, M.W., Robert, F.B., and Leland, S.P. 1990. Production of the antibiotic phenazin-1- carboxylic acid by fluorescent Pseudomonas species in the rhizosphere of wheat. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 56, 908-912.
- Mondol, M.A.M. and Shin, H.J. 2014. Antibacterial and antiyeast compounds from marine-derived bacteria. Mar. Drugs 12, 2913-2921. https://doi.org/10.3390/md12052913
- Nagarajkumar, M., Bhaskaran, R., and Velazhahan, R. 2004. Involvement of secondary metabolites and extracellular lytic enzymes produced by Pseudomonas fluorescens in inhibition of Rhizoctonia solani, the rice sheath blight pathogen. Microbiol. Res. 159, 73-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micres.2004.01.005
- O'Sullivan, D.J. and O'Gara, F. 1992. Traits of fluorescent Pseudomonas spp. involved in suppression of plant root pathogens. Microbiol. Rev. 56, 662-676.
- Park, S.M., Jung, H.J., Kim, H.S., and Yu, T.S. 2006. Isolation and optimal culture conditions of Brevibacillus sp. KMU-391 against black root pathogens caused by Didymella bryoniae. Korean J. Microbiol. 42, 135-141.
- Philson, S.B. and Llinas, M. 1982. Siderochromes from Pseudomonas fluorescens. J. Biol. Chem. 257, 8081-8085.
- Schwyn, B. and Neilands, J.B. 1987. Universal chemical assay for the detection and determination of siderophores. Anal. Biochem. 160, 47-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(87)90612-9
- Shanahan, P., O'Sullivan, D.J., Simpson, P., Glennon, J.D., and O'Gara, F. 1992. Isolation of 2,4-diacetylphloroglucinol from a fluorescent Pseudomonad and investigation of physiological parameters influencing its production. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 58, 353-358.
- Thomashow, L.S. and Weller, D.M. 1998. Role of phenazine antibiotics from Pseudomonas fluorescens in biological control of Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici. J. Bacteriol. 170, 3499-3508.
- Vaara, M. and Vaara, T. 1981. Outer membrane permeability barrier disruption by polymyxin in polymyxin-susceptible and-resistant Salmonella typhimurium. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 19, 578-583. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.19.4.578
- Van Loon, L.C., Bakker, P.A.H.M., and Pieterse, C.M.J. 1998. Systematic resistance induced by rhizosphere bacteria. Ann. Rev. Phytopathol. 36, 453-483. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.phyto.36.1.453
- Vandenbergh, P.A., Gonzales, C.F., Wright, A.M., and Kunka, B.S. 1983. Iron-chelating compounds produced by soil Pseudomonas: Correlation with fungal growth inhibition. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 46, 128-132.