- Volume 33 Issue 4
Prevention of Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes by Using Probiotics
프로바이오틱스 섭취를 통한 비만 및 제2형 당뇨의 완화
- Eor, Ju Young (Division of Food Bioscience and Technology, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University) ;
- Park, Mi Hyun (Division of Food Bioscience and Technology, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Sae Hun (Division of Food Bioscience and Technology, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University)
- Received : 2015.08.02
- Accepted : 2015.10.17
- Published : 2015.12.31
The beneficial effects of probiotics on human health have been extensively studied. Strains of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium have gained considerable attention, as they are major groups of probiotic bacteria that improve gastrointestinal health. Recently, probiotics have been found to have positive effects on obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2D) that go beyond the improvement of gut health. Probiotics can alter the secretion of substances such as leptin and adiponectin from white adipose tissue via certain mechanisms. Additionally, probiotics can modulate the adaptive immune system against low-grade inflammation caused by obesity. The potential role of probiotics in the treatment of T2D has garnered interest because of increasing evidence of the anti-diabetic effect of probiotics. In this review, we discuss the results of in vivo studies that have examined the use of probiotics to prevent obesity and T2D, while primarily focusing on the studies that explore the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying the activity of promising probiotic strains. The conclusions of this review could be of help to researchers who are investigating the effects of probiotics on obesity or T2D, and to patients with these diseases.
- Ahn, Y. T., Bae, J. S., Kim, Y. H., Lim, K. S. and Hun, C. S. 2005. Effects of fermented milk intake on hepatic antioxidative systems in alcohol treated rats. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 37:631-635.
- An, H. M., Park, S. Y., Lee, D. K., Kim, J. R., Cha, M. K., Lee, S. W., Lim, H. T., Kim, K. J. and Ha, N. J. 2011. Antiobesity and lipid-lowering effects of Bifidobacterium spp. in high fat diet-induced obese rats. Lipids in Health and Disease 10:116. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-511X-10-116
- Cani, P. D., Possemiers, S., Van de Wiele, T., Guiot, Y., Everard, A., Rottier, O., Geurts, L., Naslain, D., Neyrinck, A., Lambert, D. M., Muccioli, G. G. and Delzenne, N. M. 2009. Changes in gut microbiota control inflammation in obese mice through a mechanism involving GLP-2-driven improvement of gut permeability. GUT 58:1091-1103. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2008.165886
- Chung, B. C., Park, S. H., Lee, J. Y., Lee, S. W., Chung, S. C., Kim, J. G., Ha, S. W. and Kim, B. W. 2003. Relationship between obesity indices and risk factors of atherosclerosis in type 2 diabetics. Korean Society for the Study of Obesity 12(2):93-107.
- Kim, J. H., Cho, G. J., Choi, K. M., Han, J. H., Yoon, D. K. and Kim, S. M. 2009. The relationship between plasma visfatin level, obesity and metabolic syndrome in women without diabetes. Korean Society for the Study of Obesity 18(1):15-23.
- Kim, M. K., Choi, A. R., Han, G. S., Jeong, S. G., Oh, M. H., Kim, D. H. and Ham, J. S. 2011. Dairy products intake and managing diabetes. Korean J. Dairy Sci. Technol. 29: 17-22.
- Kim, N. K. and Joo, N. S. 2009. Relationship between exercise, body fatness and metabolic syndrome. Korean Society for the Study of Obesity 18(4):138-145.
- Kim, J. Y., Shin, H. W., Jeong, I. K., Cho, S. W., Min, S. J., Lee, S. J., Park, C. Y., Oh, K. W., Hong, E. G., Kim, H. K., Kim, D. M., Yu, J. M., Ihm, S. H., Choi, M. G., Yoo, H. J. and Park, S. W. 2006. The relationship of adiponectin, leptin and ghrelin to insulin resistance and cardiovascular risk factors in human obesity. Korean Journal of Internal Medicine 69(6):631-641.
- Lee, H. S., Choi, J. H., Kim, Y. G. and Lee, C. H. 2012. Effect of dietary intake of Salicornia herbacea L. hot water extract on anti-obesity in diet-induced obese rats. Journal of Life Science 23(1):69-78.
- Lee, S. J., Park, H. J., Song, Y. O., Jang, S. H., Goo, J., Ko, Y. G. and Cho, J. H. 2014. Antioxidant activity and anti-obesity effect of Coprinus comatus in Zucker rat (fa/fa). Korean J. Vet. Serv. 37(1):51-58. https://doi.org/10.7853/kjvs.2014.37.1.51
- Lee, S. K., So, S. H., Hwang, E. I., Koo, B. S., Han, G. H., Ko, S. B. and Kim, N. M. 2008. Effect of ginseng and herbal plant mixtures on anti-obesity in obese SD rat induced by high fat diet. Korean J. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 37(4):437-444. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.4.437
- Ley, R. E., Backhed, F., Turnbaugh, P., Lozupone, C. A., Knight, R. D. and Gordon, J. I. 2005. Obesity alters gut microbial ecology. PNAS. 102:11070-11075. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0504978102
- Moroti, C., Magri, L. F. S., Costa, M. de R., Cavallini, D. CU and Sivieri, K. 2012. Effect of the consumption of a new symbiotic shake on glycemia and cholesterol levels in elderly people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Lipids in Health and Disease 11:29. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-511X-11-29
- Park, S. H., Lee, W. Y., Lee, Y. S., Rhee, E. J. and Kim, S. W. 2003. Obesity and insulin resistance inapparently healthy Korean men. Korean J. Medicine 65(4):451-457.
- Sato, M., Uzu, K., Yoshida, T., Hamad, E. M., Kawakami, H., Matsuyama, H., Abd El-Gawad, I. A. and Maizumi, K. 2007. Effects of milk fermented by Lactobacillus gasseri SBT2055 on adipocyte size in rats. British Journal of Nutrition 99:1013-1017.