- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Numerical modelling of nonlinear behaviour of prestressed concrete continuous beams
- Lou, Tiejiong (CEMUC, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Coimbra) ;
- Lopes, Sergio M.R. (CEMUC, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Coimbra) ;
- Lopes, Adelino V. (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Coimbra)
- Received : 2013.07.03
- Accepted : 2015.01.18
- Published : 2015.03.25
The development of a finite element model for the geometric and material nonlinear analysis of bonded prestressed concrete continuous beams is presented. The nonlinear geometric effect is introduced by the coupling of axial and flexural fields. A layered approach is applied so as to consider different material properties across the depth of a cross section. The proposed method of analysis is formulated based on the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory. According to the total Lagrangian description, the constructed stiffness matrix consists of three components, namely, the material stiffness matrix reflecting the nonlinear material effect, the geometric stiffness matrix reflecting the nonlinear geometric effect and the large displacement stiffness matrix reflecting the large displacement effect. The analysis is capable of predicting the nonlinear behaviour of bonded prestressed concrete continuous beams over the entire loading stage up to failure. Some numerical examples are presented to demonstrate the validity and applicability of the proposed model.
Supported by : FCT
- Al-Sadder, S.Z., Othman, R.A. and Shatnawi, A.S. (2006), "A simple finite element formulation for large deflection analysis of nonprismatic slender beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 24(6): 647-664. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2006.24.6.647
- Campbell, T.I. and Kodur, V.K.R. (1990), "Deformation controlled nonlinear analysis of prestressed concrete continuous beams", PCI J., 35(5): 42-55.
- CEN (2004), "Eurocode 2 (EC2): Design of concrete structures - Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings", EN 1992-1-1, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- Ho, J.C.M. and Zhou, K.J.H. (2011), "Minimum deformability design of high-strength concrete beams in non-seismic regions", Comput. Concr., 8(4), 445-463. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2011.8.4.445
- Kodur, V.K.R. and Campbell, T.I. (1996). "Evaluation of moment redistribution in a two-span continuous prestressed concrete beam", ACI Struct. J., 93(6), 721-728.
- Kodur, V.K.R. and Campbell, T.I. (1999), "Factors governing redistribution of moment in continuous prestressed concrete beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 8(2): 119-136. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.19188.8.131.52
- Kulprapha, N. and Warnitchai, P. (2012), "Structural health monitoring of continuous prestressed concrete bridges using ambient thermal responses", Eng. Struct., 40: 20-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.02.001
- Lam, W.F. and Morley, C.T. (1992), "Arc-length method for passing limit points in structural calculation", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 118(1), 169-185. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1992)118:1(169)
- Lee, H.W., Barnes, R.W. and Kim, K.Y. (2004), "A continuity method for bridges constructed with precast prestressed concrete girders", Struct. Eng. Mech., 17(6), 879-898. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2004.17.6.879
- Lin, T.Y. (1955), "Strength of continuous prestressed concrete beams under static and repeated loads", ACI J., 26(10): 1037-1059.
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2013a), "Flexural response of continuous concrete beams prestressed with external tendons", ASCE J. Bridge Eng., 18(6): 525-537. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000392
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2013b), "Nonlinear and time-dependent analysis of continuous unbonded prestressed concrete beams", Comput. Struct., 119, 166-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2012.12.014
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2014a), "External CFRP tendon members: Secondary reactions and moment redistribution", Compos. Part B: Eng., 57, 250-261. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.10.010
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2014b), "Flexure of continuous HSC beams with external CFRP tendons: Effects of fibre elastic modulus and steel ratio", Compos. Struct., 116, 29-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.05.001
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2014c), "FE modeling of inelastic behavior of reinforced highstrength concrete continuous beams", Struct. Eng.Mech., 49(3), 373-393. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.49.3.373
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2015), "A comparative study of continuous beams prestressed with bonded FRP and steel tendons", Compos. Struct., http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.01.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.01.009
- Mallick, S.K. (1962), "Redistribution of moments in two-span prestressed concrete beams", Mag. Concrete Res., 14(42), 171-183. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.19184.108.40.206
- Markovic, M., Krauberger, N., Saje, M., Planinc, I. and Bratina, S. (2013), "Non-linear analysis of pretensioned concrete planar beams", Eng. Struct., 46, 279-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.08.004
- Menegotto, M. and Pinto, P.E. (1973), "Method of analysis for cyclically loaded reinforced concrete plane frames. IABSE preliminary report for symposium on resistance and ultimate deformability of structures acted on well-defined repeated loads", Lisbon, Portugal, 15-22.
- Naito, C., Sause, R. and Thompson, B. (2008), "Investigation of damaged 12-year old prestressed concrete box beams", ASCE J. Bridge Eng., 13(2), 139-148. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2008)13:2(139)
- Rana, S., Islam, N., Ahsan, R. and Ghani, S.N. (2013), "Application of evolutionary operation to the minimum cost design of continuous prestressed concrete bridge structure", Eng. Struct., 46, 38-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.07.017
- Roth, M.J., Slawson, T.R. and Flores, O.G. (2010), "Flexural and tensile properties of a glass fiberreinforced ultra-high-strength concrete: an experimental, micromechanical and numerical study", Comput. Concr., 7(2), 169-190. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2010.7.2.169
- Schmidt, J.W., Bennitz, A., Taljsten, B., Goltermann, P. and Pedersen, H. (2012), "Mechanical anchorage of FRP tendons - A literature review", Constr. Build. Mater., 32: 110-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.11.049
- Turmo, J., Ramos, G. and Aparicio, A.C. (2011), "Structural behaviour of segmental concrete continuous bridges with unbonded prestressing and dry joints", Struct. Infrastr. Eng., 7(11), 857-868. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732470903071320