- Volume 8 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Seismic improvement of infilled nonductile RC frames with external mesh reinforcement and plaster composite
- Kamanli, Mehmet (Department of Civil Engineering, Selcuk University Engineering Faculty) ;
- Korkmaz, Hasan H. (Department of Civil Engineering, Selcuk University Engineering Faculty) ;
- Unal, Alptug (Department of Civil Engineering, Selcuk University Engineering Faculty) ;
- Balik, Fatih S. (Department of Civil Engineering, Necmettin Erbakan University Eregli Kemal Akman High School) ;
- Bahadir, Fatih (Department of Civil Engineering, Necmettin Erbakan University Eregli Kemal Akman High School) ;
- Cogurcu, Mustafa T. (Department of Civil Engineering, Selcuk University Engineering Faculty)
- Received : 2013.12.30
- Accepted : 2014.08.15
- Published : 2015.03.25
The objective of this paper is to report the result of an experimental program conducted on the strengthening of nonductile RC frames by using external mesh reinforcement and plaster application. The main objective was to test an alternative strengthening technique for reinforced concrete buildings, which could be applied with minimum disturbance to the occupants. Generic specimen is two floors and one bay RC frame in 1/2 scales. The basic aim of tested strengthening techniques is to upgrade strength, ductility and stiffness of the member and/or the structural system. Six specimens, two of which were reference specimens and the remaining four of which had deficient steel detailing and poor concrete quality were strengthened and tested in an experimental program under cyclic loading. The parameters of the experimental study are mesh reinforcement ratio and plaster thickness of the infilled wall. The effects of the mesh reinforced plaster application for strengthening on behavior, strength, stiffness, failure mode and ductility of the specimens were investigated. Premature and unexpected failure mode has been observed at first and second specimens failed due to inadequate plaster thickness. Also third strengthened specimen failed due to inadequate lap splice of the external mesh reinforcement. The last modified specimen behaved satisfactorily with higher ultimate load carrying capacity. Externally reinforced infill wall composites improve seismic behavior by increasing lateral strength, lateral stiffness, and energy dissipation capacity of reinforced concrete buildings, and limit both structural and nonstructural damages caused by earthquakes.
- Altin, S., Anil, O., Kara, M.E. and Kaya, M. (2007), "An experimental study on strengthening of masonry infilled RC frames using diagonal CFRP strips", Compos. Part B, 39, 680-693.
- Anil, O. and Altin, S. (2007), "An experimental study on reinforced concrete partially infilled frames", Eng. Struct., 29, 449-460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.05.011
- Baloevic, G., Radnic, J. and Harapin, A. (2013), "Numerical dynamic tests of masonry-infilled RC frames", Eng. Struct., 50, 43-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.11.034
- Blackard, B., Willam, K. and Mettupalayam, S. (2009), "Experimental observations of masonry infilled RC frames with openings", ACI SP 265-9, Am. Conc. Inst., 199-222.
- CEN. EN 1998-1 (2004), Eurocode 8: Design Provisions for Earthquake Resistance of Structures, Part 1: General Rules, Seismic Actions and Rules for Buildings, Brussels: European Committee for Standardization.
- Calvi, G.M. (2000), "The behaviour of frames infilled with non-reinforced and MURFOR reinforced clay brick masonry walss", Universita Degli Studi Di Pavia dipartimento Di Meccanica Strutturale Laboratorio Materiali e Strutture, Via Abbiategrasso, Italy.
- Ghobarah, A., El-Attar, M. and Aly, N.M. (2000), "Evaluation of retrofit strategies for reinforced concrete columns: A case study", Eng. Struct., 22, 490-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00137-0
- Guneyisi, E.M. and Altay, G. (2005), "A study on the seismic behavior of a retrofitted building based on nonlinear static and dynamic analyses", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 4(1), 173-180. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-005-0035-6
- Guneyisi, E.M. and Altay, G. (2008), "Seismic fragility assessment of effectiveness of viscous dampers in R/C buildings under scenario earthquakes" Struct. Safety, 30, 461-480. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2007.06.001
- Han, S.W. and Jee, N.Y. (2005), "Seismic behaviors of columns in ordinary and intermediate moment resisting concrete frames", Eng. Struct., 27(6), 951-962. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.01.012
- Kara, M.E. and Altin, S. (2006), "Behavior of reinforced concrete rames with reinforced concrete partial infills", ACI Struct. J., 103(5), 701-709.
- Karbhari, V.M. (1993), "Strengthening of concrete column stubs through resin infused composite wraps", J. Thermoplast Compos. Mater., 6, 93-107.
- Li, J., Samali, B., Ye, L. and Bakoss, S. (2002), "Behaviour of concrete beam-column connections reinforced with hybrid FRP sheet", Compos. Struct., 57, 357-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(02)00102-2
- Massumi, A. and Absalan, M. (2013), "Interaction between bracing system and moment resisting frame in braced RC frames", Archiv. Civ. Mech. Eng., 13, 260-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acme.2013.01.004
- Nateghi-Alahi, F. (1995), "Seismic strengthening of eight-storey RC apartment building using steel braces", Eng. Struct., 17(6), 455-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(95)00071-E
- Ozcebe, G., Ersoy, U., Tankut, T., Erduran, E., Keskin, O. and Mertol, C. (2003), "Strengthening of brickinfilled RC frames with CFRP", Technical Report, Department of Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Ozel, A.E. and Guneyisi, E.M. (2011), "Effects of eccentric steel bracing systems on seismic fragility curves of mid-rise R/C buildings: A case study", Struct. Safety, 33, 82-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2010.09.001
- Pujol, S. and Fick, D. (2010), "The test of a full-scale three-story RC structure with masonry infill walls", Eng. Struct., 32, 3112-3121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.05.030
- Smyth, A., Altay, G., Deodatis, G., Erdik, M., Franco, G., Gulkan, P., Kunreuther, H., Lus, H., Mete, E., Seeber, L., and Yuzugullu, O. (2004), "Probabilistic benefit-cost analysis for earthquake damage mitigation: evaluating measures for apartment houses in Turkey" Earthq. Spectra, 20, 171-203. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1649937
- Stavridis, A., Koutromanos, I. and Shing, P.B. (2012), "Shake-table tests of a three-story reinforced concrete frame with masonry infill walls", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(6),1089-1108. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1174
- Susoy, M. (2004), "Seismic strengthening of masonry infilled reinforced concrete frames with precast concrete panels", M.S. Dissertation, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- TEC (2007), The Ministry of Public Works and Settlement, Turkish Code for Buildings in Seismic Zones, Turkish Seismic Code, Ankara, Turkey.
- Uva, G., Porco, F. and Fiore, A. (2012), "Appraisal of masonry infill walls effect in the seismic response of RC framed buildings: A case study", Eng. Struct., 34, 514-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.08.043