- Volume 55 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparison of antibiotic resistance profiles for Escherichia coli isolated from wild boar and domestic pig fecal samples
- Yoo, Sung J. (Department of Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Sunwoo, Sun Young (Department of Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Seo, Sang Won (Department of Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Lyoo, Young S. (Department of Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2014.09.29
- Accepted : 2015.01.19
- Published : 2015.03.31
Increasing presence of wild boar around cities and suburban areas is a growing concern with respect to agronomy, environmental ecology, and public safety. In this study, antibiotic resistance profiles of Escherichia (E.) coli isolated from wild boar and domestic pig fecal samples were compared. Eighty E. coli samples were isolated from wild boars. Resistance of the bacteria to 14 common antimicrobial agents used in human and veterinary medicine was evaluated. Ninety-five E. coli isolates from domestic pig farms were used for comparison. Common and distinct antibiotic resistance patterns were observed when comparing wild boar and domestic pig isolates, indicating that wild boars may significantly influence environmental microbiology.
Supported by : Konkuk University
- Allen HK, Donato J, Wang HH, Cloud-Hansen KA, Davies J, Handelsman J. Call of the wild: antibiotic resistance genes in natural environments. Nat Rev Microbiol 2010, 8, 251-259. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrmicro2312
- Allen PN, Noller HF. A single base substitution in 16S ribosomal RNA suppresses streptomycin dependence and increases the frequency of translational errors. Cell 1991, 66, 141-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(91)90146-P
- Bagcigil FA, Moodley A, Baptiste KE, Jensen VF, Guardabassi L. Occurrence, species distribution, antimicrobial resistance and clonality of methicillin- and erythromycinresistant staphylococci in the nasal cavity of domestic animals. Vet Microbiol 2007, 121, 307-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2006.12.007
- Blake DP, Hillman K, Fenlon DR, Low JC. Transfer of antibiotic resistance between commensal and pathogenic members of the Enterobacteriaceae under ileal conditions. J Appl Microbiol 2003, 95, 428-436. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2003.01988.x
- Blake DP, Humphry RW, Scott KP, Hillman K, Fenlon DR, Low JC. Influence of tetracycline exposure on tetracycline resistance and the carriage of tetracycline resistance genes within commensal Escherichia coli populations. J Appl Microbiol 2003, 94, 1087-1097. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2003.01937.x
- Blondeau JM. Fluoroquinolones: mechanism of action, classification, and development of resistance. Surv Ophthalmol 2004, 49 (Suppl 2), S73-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.survophthal.2004.01.005
- CLSI. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing; Twenty-Third Informational Supplement. CLSI document M100-S23. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, 2013.
- Feldman MB, Terry DS, Altman RB, Blanchard SC. Aminoglycoside activity observed on single pre-translocation ribosome complexes. Nat Chem Biol 2010, 6, 54-62. https://doi.org/10.1038/nchembio.274
- French GL. The continuing crisis in antibiotic resistance. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2010, 36 (Suppl 3), S3-7.
- Huotari K, Tarkka E, Valtonen V, Kolho E. Incidence and risk factors for nosocomial infections caused by fluoroquinolone-resistant Escherichia coli. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2003, 22, 492-495. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10096-003-0975-6
- Lacey RW, Chopra I. Evidence for mutation to streptomycin resistance in clinical strains of Staphylococcus aureus. J Gen Microbiol 1972, 73, 175-180. https://doi.org/10.1099/00221287-73-1-175
- Lim SK, Lee HS, Nam HM, Cho YS, Kim JM, Song SW, Park YH, Jung SC. Antimicrobial resistance observed in Escherichia coli strains isolated from fecal samples of cattle and pigs in Korea during 2003-2004. Int J Food Microbiol 2007, 116, 283-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2006.12.014
- Mieszkin S, Furet JP, Corthier G, Gourmelon M. Estimation of pig fecal contamination in a river catchment by real-time PCR using two pig-specific Bacteroidales 16S rRNA genetic markers. Appl Environ Microbiol 2009, 75, 3045-3054. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.02343-08
- Mingeot-Leclercq MP, Glupczynski Y, Tulkens PM. Aminoglycosides: activity and resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1999, 43, 727-737.
- Payne DJ, Amyes SG. Transferable resistance to extendedspectrum beta-lactams: a major threat or a minor inconvenience? J Antimicrob Chemother 1991, 27, 255-261. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/27.3.255
- Persoons D, Bollaerts K, Smet A, Herman L, Heyndrickx M, Martel A, Butaye P, Catry B, Haesebrouck F, Dewulf J. The importance of sample size in the determination of a flock-level antimicrobial resistance profile for Escherichia coli in broilers. Microb Drug Resist 2011, 17, 513-519. https://doi.org/10.1089/mdr.2011.0048
- Poeta P, Costa D, Igrejas G, Rodrigues J, Torres C. Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of antimicrobial resistance in faecal enterococci from wild boars (Sus scrofa). Vet Microbiol 2007, 125, 368-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2007.06.003
- Radeloff VC, Hammer RB, Stewart SI, Fried JS, Holcomb SS, McKeefry JF. The wildland-urban interface in the United States. Ecol Appl 2005, 15, 799-805. https://doi.org/10.1890/04-1413
- Radhouani H, Silva N, Poeta P, Torres C, Correia S, Igrejas G. Potential impact of antimicrobial resistance in wildlife, environment and human health. Front Microbiol 2014, 5, 23.
- Sayah RS, Kaneene JB, Johnson Y, Miller R. Patterns of antimicrobial resistance observed in Escherichia coli isolates obtained from domestic- and wild-animal fecal samples, human septage, and surface water. Appl Environ Microbiol 2005, 71, 1394-1404. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.71.3.1394-1404.2005
- Schierack P, Romer A, Jores J, Kaspar H, Guenther S, Filter M, Eichberg J, Wieler LH. Isolation and characterization of intestinal Escherichia coli clones from wild boars in Germany. Appl Environ Microbiol 2009, 75, 695-702. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.01650-08
- Schlager TA, Hendley JO, Bell AL, Whittam TS. Clonal diversity of Escherichia coli colonizing stools and urinary tracts of young girls. Infect Immun 2002, 70, 1225-1229. https://doi.org/10.1128/IAI.70.3.1225-1229.2002
- van den Bogaard AE, Stobberingh EE. Epidemiology of resistance to antibiotics. Links between animals and humans. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2000, 14, 327-335. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-8579(00)00145-X
- Wasfy M, Oyofo B, Elgindy A, Churilla A. Comparison of preservation media for storage of stool samples. J Clin Microbiol 1995, 33, 2176-2178.