- Volume 5 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of a Parent Training Program for Promoting Filipino Young Children's Number Sense with Number Card Games
- Cheung, Sum Kwing (Hong Kong Baptist University) ;
- McBride-Chang, Catherine (The Chinese University of Hong Kong)
- Received : 2015.01.01
- Accepted : 2015.02.04
- Published : 2015.02.28
Not all parents are skilled in scaffolding their young children's numeracy learning. The present study investigated the effectiveness of a parent training program in promoting Filipino young children's number sense via card game playing at home. Participants were 161 young children and their parents; families were of a relatively low socioeconomic status. During the 10-week intervention period, parents in the experimental group received training on how to use number game cards to help their children acquire various numeracy concepts; parents in the control group received no special instructions. Children in the experimental group showed greater improvements in their performance on six number sense tasks (namely numeral identification, object counting, rote counting, missing number, numerical magnitude comparison, and addition) over the intervention period than did children in the control group. Findings of the present study suggest that providing simple training to parents on strategies for fostering their young children's number sense at home is important for giving children a good early start in basic number knowledge.
Supported by : Arcanys Early Learning Foundation
- Abulon, E. L. R. (2013). Barangay day care centers: Emergence, current status and implications to teacher education. Proceeding of the Global Summit on Education 2013. Retrieved from http://worldconferences.net/proceedings/gse2013/papers_gse2013/094%20Edna%20Luz%20R.%20Abulon.pdf
- Aubrey, C., Bottle, G., & Godfrey, R. (2003). Early mathematics in the home and out-of-home contexts. International Journal of Early Years Education, 11, 91-103. doi: 10.1080/0966976032000116158 https://doi.org/10.1080/09669760304708
- Bihag-Boholano, H., & Puco, M. L. C. G. (2013). Reaching the unreached: A challenge for Filipino educators. International Forum, 16, 51-66.
- Blevins-Knabe, B., & Musun-Miller, L. (1996). Number use at home by children and their parents and its relationship to early mathematical performance. Early Development and Parenting, 5, 35-45. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1099-0917(199603)5:1<35::AID-EDP113>3.0.CO;2-0 https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0917(199603)5:1<35::AID-EDP113>3.0.CO;2-0
- Blevins-Knabe, B., & Musun-Miller, L. (1998). Adults' beliefs about children and mathematics: How important is it and how do children learn about it? Early Development and Parenting, 7, 191-202. doi:10.1002/(sici)1099-0917(199812)7:4<191::aid-edp181>3.0.co;2-i https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0917(199812)7:4<191::AID-EDP181>3.0.CO;2-I
- Booker, G. (2000). The maths game: Using instructional games to teach mathematics. Wellington, N. Z.: New Zealand Council for Educational Research.
- Bryant, D., Bryant, B., Gersten, R., Scammacca, N., & Chavez, M. (2008). Mathematics intervention for first-and second-grade students with mathematics difficulties: The effects of tier 2 intervention delivered as booster lessons. Remedial and Special Education, 29, 20-32. doi: 10.1177/0741932507309712 https://doi.org/10.1177/0741932507309712
- Cannon, J., & Ginsburg, H. P. (2008). "Doing the math": Maternal beliefs about early mathematics versus language learning. Early Education and Development, 19, 238-260. doi: 10.1080/10409280801963913 https://doi.org/10.1080/10409280801963913
- Chard, D. J., Clarke, B., Baker, S., Otterstedt, J., Braun, D., & Katz, R. (2005). Using measures of number sense to screen for difficulties in mathematics: Preliminary findings. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 30, 3-14. doi: 10.1177/073724770503000202 https://doi.org/10.1177/073724770503000202
- Cheung, S. K. (2013). Maximizing the educational benefits of parent-child number board game playing to kindergarteners: The importance of parent training. Poster presented at the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Seattle, Washington.
- Clarke, B., & Shinn, M. R. (2004). A preliminary investigation into the identification and development of early mathematics curriculumbased measurement. School Psychology Review, 33, 234-238.
- Department of Education, Republic of the Philippines (2013). Standards and competencies for five-year old Filipino children. Retrieved from http://www.deped.gov.ph/sites/default/files/page/2014/Final%20Kindergarten%20CG%20December%202013.pdf
- Evans, M. A., & Mansell, J. V. (2009). Parents as teachers of reading, not mathematics. Paper presented at the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Denver, Colorado.
- Heaver, R. A., & Hunt, J. M. (1995). Improving early childhood development: An integrated program for the Philippines. Washington, D.C.: World Bank and the Asian Development Bank.
- Kleemans, T., Peeters, M., Segers, E., & Verhoeven, L. (2012). Child and home predictors of early numeracy skills in kindergarten. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 27, 471-477. doi: 10.1016/j.ecresq.2011.12.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2011.12.004
- Lago, R. M., & DiPerna, J. C. (2010). Number sense in kindergarten: A factor-analytic study of the construct. School Psychology Review, 39, 164-180.
- LeFevre, J. , Polyzoi, E., Skwarchuk, S. L., Fast, L., & Sowinski, C. (2010). Do home numeracy and literacy practices of Greek and Canadian parents predict the numeracy skills of kindergarten children? International Journal of Early Years Education, 18, 55-70. doi: 10.1080/09669761003693926 https://doi.org/10.1080/09669761003693926
- LeFevre, J., Skwarchuk, S. L., Smith-Chant, B. L., Fast, L., Kamawar, D., & Bisanz, J. (2009). Home numeracy experiences and children's math performance in the early school years. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 41, 55-66. doi: 10.1037/a0014532 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0014532
- Malofeeva, E., Day, J., Saco, X., Young, L., & Ciancio, D. (2004). Construction and evaluation of a number sense test with head start children. Journal of Educational Psychology, 96, 648-659. doi:10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.2068 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.118
- Manuel, M. F., & Gregorio, E. B. (2011). Legal frameworks for early childhood governance in the Philippines. International Journal of Child Care and Education Policy, 5, 65-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/2288-6729-5-1-65
- Ramani, G. B., Rowe, M. L., Eason, S. H., & Leech, K. A. (2011). Count on it? Math talk during parent-child interactions in Head Start families. Poster presented at the Biennial Meeting of the Cognitive Development Society, Philadelphia, PA.
- Ramani, G. B., & Siegler, R. S. (2008). Promoting broad and stable improvements in low-income children's numerical knowledge through playing number board games. Child Development, 79, 375-394. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8624.2007.01131.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2007.01131.x
- Rogoff, B. (1990). Apprenticeship in thinking: Cognitive development in social context. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.
- Skwarchuk, S. (2009). How do parents support preschoolers' numeracy learning experiences at home? Early Childhood Education Journal, 37, 189-197. doi: 10.1007/s10643-009-0340-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10643-009-0340-1
- Starkey, P., & Klein, A. (2000). Fostering parental support for children's mathematical development: An intervention with Head Start families. Early Education and Development, 11, 659-680. doi:10.1207/s15566935eed1105_7 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15566935eed1105_7
- UNESCO International Bureau of Education (2006). Philippines: Early childhood care and education (ECCE) programmes. Country Profile commissioned for the EFA Global Monitoring Report 2007, Strong foundations: Early childhood care and education. Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0014/001472/147225e.pdf
- Vandermaas-Peeler, M., Ferretti, L., & Loving, S. (2012). Playing The Ladybug Game: Parent guidance of young children's numeracy activities. Early Child Development and Care, 10, 1289-1307. doi:10.1080/03004430.2011.609617
- The role of early language abilities on math skills among Chinese children vol.12, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0181074
- Effectiveness of Parent–Child Number Board Game Playing in Promoting Chinese Kindergarteners’ Numeracy Skills and Mathematics Interest vol.28, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/10409289.2016.1258932
- Family and individual variables associated with young Filipino children's numeracy interest and competence pp.0261510X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/bjdp.12222