- Volume 53 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of marble waste fines on rheological and hardened properties of sand concrete
- Djebien, R. (Department of Civil Engineering, LMGHU Laboratory, University of Skikda) ;
- Belachia, M. (Department of Civil Engineering, LMGHU Laboratory, University of Skikda) ;
- Hebhoub, H. (Department of Civil Engineering, LMGHU Laboratory, University of Skikda)
- Received : 2014.05.14
- Accepted : 2014.12.30
- Published : 2015.03.25
Faced with the growing needs of material resources and requirements of environmental protection for achieving sustainable development, it has become necessary to study and investigate all possibilities of exploring crushed and dune sand, reusing industrial wastes and by-product, and also applying new technologies including sand concrete which can replace the conventional concretes in certain structures to surmount the deficit on construction materials, conserve natural resources, lessen the burden of pollutants to protect the environment and reduce the consumption of energy sources. This experimental study is a part of development and valorization of local materials project in Skikda region (East of Algeria). It aims at studying the effects of partial replacement of sand with marble waste as fines on several fresh and hardened properties of sand concrete in order to reuse these wastes in the concrete manufacturing, resolve the environmental problems caused by them and find another source of construction materials. To achieve these objectives, an experimental program has been carried out; it was consisted to incorporate different percentages of marble waste fines (2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12%) in the formulations of sand concrete and study the development of several mechanical and rheological properties. We are also trying to find the optimal percentage of marble waste fine replaced in sand concrete that makes the strength of the concrete maximum. Obtained results showed that marble waste fines improve the properties of sand concrete and can be used as an additive material in sand concrete formulation.
- Aruntas, H.Y., Guru, M., Dayi, M. and Tekin, I. (2010), "Utilization of waste marble dust as an additive in cement production", Mater. Des., 31(8), 4039- 4042. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2010.03.036
- Baron, J. and Ollivier, J.P. (1999), Les Betons: Bases et Donnees pour leur Formulation, Edition Eyrolles, France.
- Bederina, M., Khenfer, M.M., Dheilly, R.M. and Queneudec, M. (2005), "Reuse of local sand: effect of limestone filler proportion on the rheological and mechanical properties of different sand concretes", Cement. Concrete. Res., 35(6), 1172- 1179.
- Binici, H., Kaplan, H. and Yilmaz, S. (2007), "Influence of marble and limestone dusts as additives on some mechanical properties of concrete", Sci. Res. Essay., 2(9), 372-379.
- Corinaldesi, V., Giacomo, M. and Tarun, R. N. (2010), "Characterization of marble powder for its use in mortar and concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 24(1), 113-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.08.013
- De Larrard, F. (1999), Concrete Mixture Proportioning: A Scientific Approach, Modern Concrete Technology, Londres.
- Hayri, U.N. and Bulent, B. (2011), "The effect of curing temperature and relative humidity on the strength development of portland cement mortar", Sci. Res.Essay., 6(12), 2504-2511.
- Hebhoub, H., Aoun, H., Belachia, M., Houari, H. and Ghorbel, E. (2010), "Use of waste marble aggregates in concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 25, 1167-1171.
- Hebhoub, H., Belachia, M. and Djebien, R. (2014), "introduction of sand marble wastes in the composition of mortar", Struct. Eng. Mech., 49(4), 491-498. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.49.4.491
- Nafa, Z. (2007), Elements de materiaux de construction et essais, Agence de Publication Universitaire, Guelma, Algeria.
- Patel, N., Raval, A. and Pitroda, J. (2013), "Marble waste: opportunities for development of low cost concrete", Global. Res. Anal., 2(2), 94-96.
- Sablocrete (1994), Beton de Sable, Caracteristiques et Pratiques d'Utilisation, Presses de l'Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussees, Paris, France.
- Rai, B., Naushad, H.K., Abhishek, Kr., Rushad, S.T. and Duggal, S.K. (2011), "Influence of marble powder /granules in concrete mix", Int. J. Civil Struct. Eng., 1(4), 827-834.
- Reynouard, J.M. and Gilles, P.C. (2005), Comportement Mecanique du Beton, Edition Hermes-Science, Paris, France.
- Safiuddin, Md., Raman, S.N. and Zain, M.F.M. (2007), "Effect of different curing methods on the properties of microsilica concrete", Aust. J. Basic. Appl. Sci., 1(2), 87-95.
- Vaidevi, C. (2013), "Study on marble dust as partial replacement of cement in concrete", Indi. J. Eng., 4(9), 14-16.